IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.0.4]

by hacknorris » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 14:20
hacknorris wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 07:10
not only this. i just dont have weather. like no clouds, no rain, no nothing. only 2 raw and useless stats i can send over chat...
First up, make sure that you grabbed both mods and not just Climate API. If you are missing the Regional Weather mod then you don't have any weather effects installed. Also make sure that you not only installed but also activated both mods in your world.

If that is the case then the only way of testing is to set the base humidity and the base temperature to an extremely high level. That should force it to rain everywhere. If this works then playing with those values should fix your issue.

If both of these fail then there might be a bug in the mod.
i installed from minetest itself... from contentdb/online section... official and updated asf...

and sorry cause on another map (lool) it started clouding A LITTLE. nothing more than a little tbh :/

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

MeseCraft wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 07:12
I was able to verify it working in the game by adjusting temp and humidity to 0 and 100 respectively. I think the values of my humidity and temp are something I need to understand more and calibrate or test more. I just haven't the weather appearing naturally in the game at all.
I agree with previous posters that the mod is a bit confusing. Documentation is pretty good, but it doesn't really direct a new user to understand why they aren't seeing weather in their worlds. Essentially, I think there is room for improvement with humidity values, needs to be some level of randomness and consistency to have weather actually appear on a new installation in some biomes. I don't understand how humidity and temps work well enough yet to comment much further on this. In my game/world I think I need to set the climate API to compensate and add additional humidity to have more rain / snow and other effects, which is really what we're looking for here while also trying to minimize the oddness of snow in a desert biome for example.

Since the author is time and effort constrained, I think we just need to keep a dialogue going here in the thread about this mod and what we're doing to tweak it to behave as expected. I'll do more tweaking and report back eventually. I have this mod running in MeseCraft and think it is a promising API that is extendable and well documented so I would really like to see this one work out.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

TestificateMods
GitHub: t-affeldt
In-game: Testificate

by TestificateMods » Post

Komodo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:03
I agree with previous posters that the mod is a bit confusing. Documentation is pretty good, but it doesn't really direct a new user to understand why they aren't seeing weather in their worlds. Essentially, I think there is room for improvement with humidity values, needs to be some level of randomness and consistency to have weather actually appear on a new installation in some biomes.
Yes, I fully agree that these are the main issues with my mod. That's pretty much the reason I never moved it out of the WIP category. If someone finds the time to experiment with the specific values that might help out folks who wanna use it. You could start by tweaking the mod's configuration or if you wanna do it properly, you could have a look at the weather files from Regional Weather. Every type of weather event has a set of requirements that need to be met. If you manage to tweak those in a way that makes sense then that would solve most of the issues.

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

Komodo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:03
MeseCraft wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 07:12
I was able to verify it working in the game by adjusting temp and humidity to 0 and 100 respectively. I think the values of my humidity and temp are something I need to understand more and calibrate or test more. I just haven't the weather appearing naturally in the game at all.
I agree with previous posters that the mod is a bit confusing. Documentation is pretty good, but it doesn't really direct a new user to understand why they aren't seeing weather in their worlds. Essentially, I think there is room for improvement with humidity values, needs to be some level of randomness and consistency to have weather actually appear on a new installation in some biomes. I don't understand how humidity and temps work well enough yet to comment much further on this. In my game/world I think I need to set the climate API to compensate and add additional humidity to have more rain / snow and other effects, which is really what we're looking for here while also trying to minimize the oddness of snow in a desert biome for example.

Since the author is time and effort constrained, I think we just need to keep a dialogue going here in the thread about this mod and what we're doing to tweak it to behave as expected. I'll do more tweaking and report back eventually. I have this mod running in MeseCraft and think it is a promising API that is extendable and well documented so I would really like to see this one work out.
no. at me it doesnt. it was mine fault... i just thought its a bug but i just had a good weather lool. take this :
Attachments
screenshot_20220701_155731.png
screenshot_20220701_155731.png (136.17 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
screenshot_20220701_201224.png
screenshot_20220701_201224.png (184.05 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

TestificateMods

Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.1.0]

I know it's been half a year. Life has been incredibly busy. 🤐
I just merged some optimizations and tweaked some stuff about the mod.

Changes in v1.1.0
  • Dynamic Shadows are now enabled
  • Shadow intensity changes with time of day and cloud density
  • Puddles are now more transparent
  • Wind based speed modifiers now won't happen indoors or underground anymore
  • Wind based speed modifiers are now disabled by default
  • Weather effects will cut out sightly more gracefully now when walking underneath a node
  • Performance optimizations (by mazes-80)
  • Updates to deprecated API calls (by mazes-80)
Important Performance Notice
Dynamic shadows can have a significant impact on game performance.
I recommend testing different shadow settings or sticking to a low setting.
If you notice FPS drops after this update, tweak your shadow settings!

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Hi, I just downloaded and installed this modpack from Contentdb and play with it a little. So far I have no wind, I try setting the wind using /set_wind 1 1 which return:
[code
Failed. Use /set-n <name><value> to create a new string.
[/code]

Running a '/grantme all' didn't reveal any field called 'wind'. There was weather though. Does the command changed?
cdb_894a100ddd76

TestificateMods

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 19:27
Running a '/grantme all' didn't reveal any field called 'wind'. There was weather though.
"Weather" is indeed the correct privilege.
Does the command changed?
No. Nothing changed in regards to the commands. I also just verified it again. Works as expected on my end.
The error message is also a weird one. Doesn't sound like anything that I use. Might be a conflict with something else?

TestificateMods

Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.1.1]

I pushed another update. This may not be much from a technical point of view but should drastically alter your experience with the mods. If you had almost none to no rain before, this update will balance it correctly. If you had a snow storm in the desert before, this update will prevent it from happening. If you had puddles or snow covers that accumulate faster than they disappear, this update should (probably) fix that as well.

Changes in v1.1.1
  • Weather changes less frequently
  • Rain / snow only in places where it makes sense (not the desert)
  • Fog appears only in the morning and doesn't fade in and out constantly anymore
  • Humidity takes biome into consideration much more
  • More balanced frequency of rain
  • Removed puddle sounds
  • Performance improvements
  • Bugfixes and minimal API changes (replaced base_humidity influence with biome_humidity)
Update Notice
If you made any changes to the settings, make sure you reset them before testing out the mod. Especially the base humidity value should be set to zero. You will likely experience constant rain otherwise.

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.2.1]

by Nordal » Post

Maybe this is a very stupid question. Does rain extinct fire or conflagration caused by destructive fire of dragons? I mean the fire enabled in Game-Settings which can spread over a whole forest...
CFS - still widely unknown

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Unfortunately I get this Error, trying to start with the newest Version. I just wanted to mark the mod as Active and the error occurred.

Code: Select all

2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: Main menu error: Runtime error from mod '' in callback handleMainMenuButtons(): Not a mod!
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'check_mod_configuration'
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	....1/minetest/bin/../builtin/mainmenu/dlg_config_world.lua:87: in function 'check_mod_configuration'
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	....1/minetest/bin/../builtin/mainmenu/dlg_config_world.lua:123: in function 'get_formspec'
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...oland/minetest-5.6.1/minetest/bin/../builtin/fstk/ui.lua:101: in function 'update'
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...oland/minetest-5.6.1/minetest/bin/../builtin/fstk/ui.lua:145: in function 'handle_buttons'
2023-04-08 02:43:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...oland/minetest-5.6.1/minetest/bin/../builtin/fstk/ui.lua:186: in function <...oland/minetest-5.6.1/minetest/bin/../builtin/fstk/ui.lua:172>
I have i3 and 3D-Armor mods active. But if I understood right, in the newest Version of the Weather Bundle conflicts are solved.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I am sorry! The error was my fault. There was one climate-directory nested into another.

And yes, fire will be extinguished by rain. As I learned from the settings. :)

My first Impression - great!

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Would it be possible to add support for sum_air_currents wind system?
cdb_894a100ddd76

TestificateMods

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 23:39
Would it be possible to add support for sum_air_currents wind system?
Haven't heard about that one before but from my first glimpse at it, it should be possible to do.

yitianetie

by yitianetie » Post

Hi,

There is a strange bug with the last version of Minetest (5.7.0). While enabling the regional weather bundle, the whole scene turns pale. The colors of every objects become pale with a sort of grey/white tone. I have disabled the bloom option but the problem is still there. Could you update the mod to the last version of Minetest ?

Warmest regards

TestificateMods

yitianetie wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:29
Hi,

There is a strange bug with the last version of Minetest (5.7.0). While enabling the regional weather bundle, the whole scene turns pale.
Not a bug, just not configured perfectly yet.
Light saturation will depend on time of day as well as density of clouds.

If this effect is not to your liking then disabling tone maps will turn it off
Last edited by TestificateMods on Fri May 12, 2023 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

yitianetie

by yitianetie » Post

Ok. By disabling tone mapping, this effect disappears.

But I have noticed another problem : the rain stops when you move below a tree, or if you place dirt blocks just above you. The rain starts again when you don't have any block above. Is that normal ?

TestificateMods

yitianetie wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 18:22
But I have noticed another problem : the rain stops when you move below a tree, or if you place dirt blocks just above you. The rain starts again when you don't have any block above. Is that normal ?
Yes, the weather effects are supposed to stop when you are indoors but the check for that is unfortunately very crude. Afaik all weather mods currently have this issue. Fixing it in a performance-friendly way is non-trivial.

MrPhil
In-game: MrPhil

by MrPhil » Post

This mod is awesome, with much more realistic weather and particle effects than the other weather mods, BUT...

to add to what yitianetie said, with the built-in weather mod it still rains outside if you go inside a building, it just doesn't rain inside (usually). But with this mod, it stops raining/snowing outside when you go inside, then resumes when you go back outside or in the open.

Also, after updating the server to 5.7.0 (from 5.6.1), the colors are severely washed out, almost black & white, when regional_weather is enabled. Disabling it returns colors to normal. Also, if you are below -100m, the color returns to normal so I guess it's related to fog or other atmospheric effects being disabled underground.

Just thought that you should know about this, apparently the mod isn't quite compatible with the enhanced lighting effects available on the newer version.

Otherwise though, keep up the good work!

- Phil

MrPhil
In-game: MrPhil

by MrPhil » Post

Sorry, in my late-night sleep-deprived stupor I failed to notice that yitianetie had detailed the color problem above as well.

Looks like that calculation is done here, in line 40 of ../ca_weathers/ambient.lua:
local light_saturation = map_range(cloud_shadows + daytime_shadows, 0.9, 1.1)

I made the following change to line 53 as a temporary fix, but it of course messes up the cool weather-related lighting/saturation effects:

root@racknerd-xxxxxx:/var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/mods/climate/regional_weather/ca_weathers# diff ambient.lua.org ambient.lua

53c53
< saturation = light_saturation
---
> saturation = 1

Alatarius
GitHub: Alatarius

by Alatarius » Post

I have looked at everything in the recommended documentation but I have found no way to disable fog. Does anyone know the command for this?

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

MrPhil wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 16:52
Sorry, in my late-night sleep-deprived stupor I failed to notice that yitianetie had detailed the color problem above as well.

Looks like that calculation is done here, in line 40 of ../ca_weathers/ambient.lua:
local light_saturation = map_range(cloud_shadows + daytime_shadows, 0.9, 1.1)

I made the following change to line 53 as a temporary fix, but it of course messes up the cool weather-related lighting/saturation effects:

root@racknerd-xxxxxx:/var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/mods/climate/regional_weather/ca_weathers# diff ambient.lua.org ambient.lua

53c53
< saturation = light_saturation
---
> saturation = 1
I fixed the problem at my server changing the range function, at line 15

Code: Select all

-- maps range of 0 to 1 to any other range
local function map_range(val, low, high)
    local cal_val = math.min(math.max(val, 0), 1)
    local range = high - low
    return low + (cal_val * range)
end