[Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.2.1]

TestificateMods
GitHub: t-affeldt
In-game: Testificate

[Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.2.1]

by TestificateMods » Post

Regional Weather + Climate API

Description
Regional Weather does what it says. It enables rain, snow, storms, and sand storms of various grades and in different combinations. The weather will not be the same for every player as it is based on climate factors like humidity and heat. You will see it rain a lot ofter in a rain forest than in a taiga. The ever shifting environment with its influence factors (humidity, heat, wind, day/night cycle, etc.) will turn every weather event into a unique combination. If you are looking for an expansive and easily moddable weather module, then this might be the pack for you.

All of this is made possible by the new weather enigine I have been working on. Climate API provides temperature and humidity values on a block-per-block basis that follow the seasons, day / night cycle and random changes. It allows you to set up weather presets (like rain) and evironment effects (like sound) and chain them together. You can actively control under which environmental factors a preset is to be applied.This allows for a very dynamic and easily moddable experience.

All included mods
  • Climate API: The heart and core of this pack. This mod provides a vast weather and effect engine
  • Regional Weather: What you will see on the screen. A bundle of weather presets and environment effects with beautiful visuals
  • Moon Phases: Makes your sky dynamic by cycling through eight different phases
  • Lightning by Auke Kok (sofar): Adds random lightning strikes during rainstorms
Recommended Mods
  • Sailing Kit: A fork of Termos' sailboat to support the new wind system. Requires mobkit.
License
Source code: LGPL v3
Assets: Mostly CC BY-SA 3.0 but also other free licenses. See README files for information

Important:
When using this with Minetest Game, go to your Settings -> All Settings -> Games -> Minetest Game and set Enable weather to disabled. Otherwise, your clouds and shadows will keep flashing as the two mods try to override each other.
If you are experiencing performance drops, try reducing / disabling your shadow quality.

ContentDB - Source Code
Last edited by TestificateMods on Sun Apr 02, 2023 17:29, edited 19 times in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Mod] Regional Weather [regional_weather] [0.1.0]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Neat!
Posting here so I can follow this topic
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

by pampogokiraly » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Posting here so I can follow this topic
lol! You can actually press the subscribe topic button at the bottom of the page so you don't have to post a reply.

Also, this weather system seems good :D ill keep an eye on it.
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

Snowdrift's snow weather is known to lower fps.If you used snowdrift as a base,then i recommend that you should weather_pack's snow as a base.It is better for performance.
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

runs

by runs » Post

Cool

TestificateMods

Adnunano wrote:Snowdrift's snow weather is known to lower fps.If you used snowdrift as a base,then i recommend that you should weather_pack's snow as a base.It is better for performance.
Thank you for the feeback. I looked into it and I know why snowdrift performs worse than other mods. The reason is that weather_pack, weather, and mymonths all put a lot of snow flakes on every particle. You can imagine those to be large transparent panes with a bunch of snow flakes. And these panes are what is being moved instead of individual snow flakes. snowdrift animates them individually instead. It also spawn each particle individually instead using a high level particle spawner. This means, that every particle has to be synced with each client instead of just sending "Spawn particles in this area".

My mod does indeed use snowdrift's snow textures. But I am always using a particle spawner to reduce traffic. For the snow storm, I am also using particles with many snow flakes on them. Performance problems should mainly happen during light snowfall. In this weather preset, I am using far less snow flakes, so this method of reducing particles does not look appropriate. Spawning the snow flakes as individual particles is probably what is causing lag in my mod. I am looking into it right now. I will try to reduce the amount of particles and see if I can find a good compromise between the natural look of individually animated snow flakes and the performance gain of grouping them together.

Adnunano

Re: [Mod] Regional Weather [regional_weather] [0.2.0]

by Adnunano » Post

I am looking forward to it.Im really glad that you made this mod.It makes this game more atmosferic,but the latest version crashes my minetest application.

TestificateMods

Adnunano wrote:I am looking forward to it.Im really glad that you made this mod.It makes this game more atmosferic,but the latest version crashes my minetest application.
Uh-oh. Could you provide more information on that to narrow it down? I'll see if I can fix that.
Did you install the modpack or did you install the mods individually? What version of Minetest are you running? Are you using MTG or another subgame?
Does it crash immediately or after a while or when you do something specific? What biome are you in? And most importantly, does the log file say anything about the crash?

I know that's a lot of questions but every bit of information helps in order to reproduce that issue.

If it is simple a performance problem, then yesterday's update might help with that. There's also a troubleshooting guide in the readme file now with steps you can try. But let me know what caused it even if you find the problem yourself.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This sounds cery promising. I’m checking out the Climate API mod as well.

TestificateMods

texmex wrote:This sounds cery promising. I’m checking out the Climate API mod as well.
Thank you. :) Documentation on how to add custom weather presets will follow shortly as well. Until then, I suppose the presets in Regional Weather can be used as an example.

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

I figured out why it crashed.The downloaded folders was empty.I dont know why it happened like that.I will try to download it again.
EDIT:Something is wrong with git.Downloading as a modpack leaves the mod folders emply.On the other hand,i dowloaded the mods one by one,and i fell in love with your mod skills due to the fact that it's your first mod.Nice fork man.Keep it up.

TestificateMods

Adnunano wrote:On the other hand,i dowloaded the mods one by one,and i fell in love with your mod skills due to the fact that it's your first mod.Nice fork man.Keep it up.
Thank you for those nice words. :) I'm new to Minetest but not new to modding. I have a degree in Computer Science and work as a research assistant in the same field. Minetest's modding API is really amazing, so getting a hang of it was quite straightforward for me. I also have a lot more more ideas. Both, building ontop of my weather mod, as well as completely separate ones. So stay tuned for more. :D
Adnunano wrote:I figured out why it crashed.The downloaded folders was empty.I dont know why it happened like that.I will try to download it again.
EDIT:Something is wrong with git.Downloading as a modpack leaves the mod folders emply.
The reason those folders are empty is because I linked them to other repositories as submodules. The great thing about that is that they will always be up-to-date whenever one of the mods gets updated. It also enables me to direct all source code links to the correct repository instead of some folder in a collection. That way issues and pull request hopefully end up in the correct place all the time.
The bad thing about submodules is that they are a bit more annoying to install. I layed out some instructions in the readme file and linked the documentation for more information. So when downloading the modpack via command you need to set the recursive flag like

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/t-affeldt/climate.git --recursive
. When downloading it as a ZIP archive from Github you may need to download the mods separately. I'm not sure about that. Otherwise, git will only download the main directory and skip the submodules leading to missing mods.
This is sadly gonna be this way for the next couple days until I feel confident to release the mod without Beta status. Then it's gonna go on ContentDB and you'll be able to simple download and update it using the launcher.

TestificateMods

Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.0.0]

I have spent a lot of time improving performance and tweaking individual settings.
I managed to decrease the amount of particles by up to 80% for some weather presets while maintaining the same look and feel. If you had issues with that before (especially the snow) then give it another try - the mods should feel a lot smoother now and be easier on your framerate.

I have also added some minor features like raycasting for damage detection, and additional mod support. The API has undergone some serious changes and is now really usable. Setting up custom weather presets should be fairly simple now.

At this stage, I feel comfortable calling this mod complete and usable. As such, I have bumped the version number to 1.0.0 and uploaded the project to ContentDB (still awaiting appoval, though). That should make the download process a bit easier as well.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

excellent stuff , up and running . having showers on and off, looking great with the puddles too .only the sounds need sorting . somtimes i hear your lovely puddle splash sound other times i hear the defualt water sound as if i am in the water . that will be confusing if i am caught out after dark and dodging mobs to get home .
great work though really adds much needed ambience to the game .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

TestificateMods

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 14:15
excellent stuff , up and running . having showers on and off, looking great with the puddles too .
[...] great work though really adds much needed ambience to the game .
Thank you! :) This mod has taken quite a bit of time so I'm glad you like it. Just wait until you run into some fog! That one's my favorite.
Fri May 15, 2020 14:15
only the sounds need sorting . somtimes i hear your lovely puddle splash sound other times i hear the defualt water sound as if i am in the water . that will be confusing if i am caught out after dark and dodging mobs to get home .
Huh. I have really no idea how this would happen. I assigned the splash sound to the puddles but I am not messing with default water sounds. Only explanation I got is that another mod tries to play ambient water effects and messes up. I added the puddles to the water group so that they are able to hydrate farmland. I guess an ambient sound mod could interpret that as an indicator for flowing water. In that case there's not much I can do about it because that bug isn't on my side. And if you aren't using any mod like that then I have honestly no clue how why that happens on your end. I haven't noticed anything like it.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

TestificateMods wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 16:25
. I guess an ambient sound mod could interpret that as an indicator for flowing water. In that case there's not much I can do about it because that bug isn't on my side
.... ahha nice one sherlock ! i just updated Ambient lite right before i installed your mod . i also have a notable drop in fps which is intermittent .it does not coincide with the showers either . going to roll back ambient lite to see if it resolves the issue .

cuthbertdoublebarrel

yep you were spot on it was ambient lite that was conflicting with puddle sounds
unfortunately it was not the case with the intermittent drop in FPS.
i can scamper across my cobblestone patio in one direction just fine when I take the same route back across it i am slowed to a plod , i thought you might have intruduced some sort of wind factor that is hampering my movements but do not see anything in settings .
its kinda strange as i would assume that a drop in frame rate would be constant and not be effected by which direction I am traveling over the same short distance . any ideas or possible setting tweaks that i could apply to try to solve the issue ?

TestificateMods

Fri May 15, 2020 19:08
i thought you might have intruduced some sort of wind factor that is hampering my movements but do not see anything in settings .
Well, uh, yeah. I did. It's the wind. But good point. I should totally make that configurable. XD
The factor shouldn't be too great though. Unless another mod is also messing with player physics. If so, installing player_monoids (from Github, the one on ContentDB seems to be broken) often solves these issues. But it might just be the normal wind factor that makes it feel less responsive for you. Looking at the clouds (assuming you did in fact disable MTG default weather in the settings as recommended) will tell you in which direction and how fast the wind is moving. That should give you an indication if that really is the reason for your slow-downs. It's also possible the movement penalty feels much worse than anticipated because you do get a boost in the opposite direction, resulting in a harsher contrast.

I will add an option to the configuration to disable and/or tweak the wind effect on player physics. So thank you for pointing that out.

Update: I pushed an update to Regional Weather's master branch. If you download that dev snapshot you will get additional configuration options. You can now set "Change movement speed based on wind" to Disabled in order to turn off that behaviour that was an issue for you. You can now also disable "Hydrate farmland near puddles". That will remove the water group from puddles. They will no longer be able to hydrate farmland, but Ambience Lite should also stop applying random water noises to it.
Last edited by TestificateMods on Sat May 16, 2020 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

I tried it standalone and next to everything looks liek this is totally going onto my server, replacing the weather_pack.

Some questions and one crash though :)

1. Why are there three different packages? I assume I want the Bundle for all features?

2. With pova, ethereal, stamina and 3d_armor and also climate enabled, I get this error:

AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'climate_api' in callback environment_Step(): ...5.2.0-server-live-experimental\bin\..\mods\pova\init.lua:64: attempt to call method 'get_player_name' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...5.2.0-server-live-experimental\bin\..\mods\pova\init.lua:64: in function 'do_override'
	...l\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/player_physics.lua:41: in function 'add'
	...\mods\climate\regional_weather/ca_effects/speed_buff.lua:16: in function 'handler'
	...rimental\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/trigger.lua:146: in function 'call_handlers'
	...xperimental\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:26: in function <...xperimental\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:6>
	...erver-live-experimental\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:429: in function <...erver-live-experimental\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:413>
stack traceback:
Not sure if climate_api or pova being the culprit, only those two need to be active to cause the issue.

3. Will you permanently fork mobkit and sailing_kit and lightning or will you try to get your changes into the original packages? Asking because they have name conflicts when running multiple server off of the same mod directory.
Whatever I say is CC0

TestificateMods

Bastrabun wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 02:53
I tried it standalone and next to everything looks liek this is totally going onto my server, replacing the weather_pack.
Thank you :) That's nice to hear.
1. Why are there three different packages? I assume I want the Bundle for all features?
Yes, you should grab the bundle for all of the features.
The modpack includes both the API and the weather pack. It also includes my Moon Phases implementation that requires Minetest 5.2.0 as well my fork of the sailing kit (using a unified wind system). The other mods also work on lower versions and independent of Moon Phases and Sailing Kit, so I also put them on ContentDB with no version requirement.
2. With pova, ethereal, stamina and 3d_armor and also climate enabled, I get this error: [...]
Not sure if climate_api or pova being the culprit, only those two need to be active to cause the issue.
Thank you for the report. I have mostly tested with player_monoids and standalone so it's possible that a bug has slipped through later on in the development process. I will definitely check this out.
3. Will you permanently fork mobkit and sailing_kit and lightning or will you try to get your changes into the original packages? Asking because they have name conflicts when running multiple server off of the same mod directory.
I have actually made no changes to mobkit and lightning whatsoever. Lightning is part of the modpack to deliver a more complete experience. Mobkit is in there as a dependency of sailing_kit.
I do try to keep the mods updated in my modpack but they really are just pointers to the original code repositories.
You can safely remove those two from my modpack if you have them installed already. My changes to sailing_kit are probably too specific to get them into the original mod. I could try to push a pull request and see if the mod author is willing to accept it - I'm only adding an optional dependency after all. There's definitely no harm in using my fork even without any of my other mods.

Update: I updated Climate API's master branch to include a potential bug fix. You can try to download that dev snapshot and override your currently installed version with it. This should most likely fix your crash. Alternatively, this change will probably go on ContentDB soon as well.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

Thanks, I tried it and yes, I can now load into the game properly :)

Two more things:

1. Is player monoids the better pova and I should switch?

2. When there's a block above my head, be it solid rock or only leaves, all the weather effects (sound, particles) fade out, making it impossible to gaze at the raging thunderstorm from inside my mud hut. I know it's a tricky thing, weather_pack made it rain inside a palace with a roof too high above, which is odd also. This causes for one player experience havy rain while the other one only a step away but under a single block see no weather at all.

Update: This seems not to apply when a player sets the weather with /set_weather ?

Update2:

3. When the server terminates, clients get this:

AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'climate_api' in callback environment_Step(): ...mo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/skybox_merger.lua:67: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...mo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/skybox_merger.lua:67: in function 'set_skybox'
	...mo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/skybox_merger.lua:91: in function 'update'
	...mo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/ca_effects/skybox.lua:38: in function 'handler'
	...n64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/trigger.lua:153: in function 'call_handlers'
	...-win64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:26: in function <...-win64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:6>
	...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:429: in function <...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:413>
stack traceback:
Sorry to send in that much stuff, but ... I want that thing to happen :D

4. I tried the worst combination I could think of (havy_rain and storm), but apart from the density of the particles and the sounds of wind and occasional thunder, it felt rather friendly. Is there a weather way worse than that, where one can barely see the opposite side of the street and gets startled by the rolling thunder and lightning nearby?

Update3:

5. Not sure if there should be rain, hailstorm or other weather above the clouds?
Whatever I say is CC0

TestificateMods

Bastrabun wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 04:07
1. Is player monoids the better pova and I should switch?
That's a discussion we've also had on the Minetest Discord. It's a matter of preference, I guess. player_monoids, playerphysics and pova are all similarly often in use. I prefer player_monoids myself because it allows mods to register both additive as well multiplicative modifiers whereas playerphysics only allows multiplicative ones and pova only additive ones. If you do decide to switch to player_monoids then make sure to grab the version from Github, not the one on ContentDB (as it appears to be broken right now).
2. When there's a block above my head, be it solid rock or only leaves, all the weather effects (sound, particles) fade out, making it impossible to gaze at the raging thunderstorm from inside my mud hut. I know it's a tricky thing, weather_pack made it rain inside a palace with a roof too high above, which is odd also. This causes for one player experience havy rain while the other one only a step away but under a single block see no weather at all.
Yeah, that's the bane of weather mods right now. Either you cancel effects when inside (meaning you cannot watch from your window or from under a tree) or you don't do that (meaning it's going to rain even inside your mansion or cave with high enough ceiling). I added the sound fade so that it feels smoother to run through a forest, etc. And I added the skybox changes so that you can at least guess the current weather from those. But ultimately, I cannot think of a good solution. I haven't seen any of the other mods handle this gracefully either.
Update: This seems not to apply when a player sets the weather with /set_weather ?
All of the /set_weather commands will override the automatic behaviour completely. The activated weather preset will stay active regardless of biome, temperature, humidity, indoors check, light level, or any other factor. If you want to force weather presets in a more usual way, you can set heat and humidity levels instead.
3. When the server terminates, clients get this: [...]
Alright. Really strange bug but fairly harmless (considering the server already terminated) and also very easy to fix.
Sorry to send in that much stuff, but ... I want that thing to happen :D
No problem. This is really useful information. So thank you for taking the time to send me these.
4. I tried the worst combination I could think of (havy_rain and storm), but apart from the density of the particles and the sounds of wind and occasional thunder, it felt rather friendly. Is there a weather way worse than that, where one can barely see the opposite side of the street and gets startled by the rolling thunder and lightning nearby?
It might feel a bit harsher if you set the windspeed to match the storm, e.g. /set_wind 4 2
This is the strongest rain effect in there. Sounds like you might enjoy the sandstorms, though. Head to the next desert, up that windspeed and try to take cover behind a wall or dune before the weather kills you. :D

If you really want more lightning strikes, you can also go to regional weather's mod folder -> ca_weather -> rain_heavy.lua and swap this line: effects["regional_weather:lightning"] = 1 / 20 for a larger value. It defines the chance for lightning to stike. Set it to effects["regional_weather:lightning"] = 1 for the maximum amount. :D

Might be a good idea to add a lighning chance modifier to the settings. I'll write that down.
5. Not sure if there should be rain, hailstorm or other weather above the clouds?
Good point. I only updated the cloud height to change dynamically (based on dewpoint and humidity) very recently. So now my static "stop weather above height X" approach isn't enough anymore. I will look into it.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

1. I found the discord discussion, and the conclusion was: Go player_monoids! Guess why I went for pova? Because player_monoids sounds scary. I'll switch, if all my physics override mods allow.

2. Depends on how it is done. Do you determine above which node a weather effect should take place near a player, or do you add some layers of particles around a player and only check above? I assume you don't do automatic weather below 0 anyways, right?

How bad is it performancewise to raycast downwards from cloudlevel until a solid node is found and only display weather above? (Or, half the rain/snow effect for each leaves node the raycast is passing?). You don't need to do that every step, but since others use raycasts for radar, it can't be that bad. And you'd only have to do it once the weather starts and then every x seconds (under the assumption that players don't build a roof to shelter). To avoid lagspikes, you don't need to do it all in one step, but at random around the player.

Or am I just wrong and not the where to make weather but the how to make weather with particles is the expensive thing? (And you probably already use raycasts and line_of_sight)

I just made it rain in a fairly large cave, that's awesome :) For the malicous people: Is there a way to make weather for another player? ;)

4. I can hide behind a dune to avoid getting hit by sandstorm particles? Awesome! What is it that sometimes the fog lifts for about a second and then conceals the landscape again? It feels like this effect is in sync with the sound of the wind?

Also the hud effects! I like. Yes, the sandstorm is more like it. When players experience that, they'll think twice to leave their shelter.

But the worst thunderstorm is still looking and sounding quite harmless. Maybe I didn't find the right settings yet. I compare with weather_pack, where the sky gets dark, roaring thunder, ...

5. Wow, you're quick to respond!

New:

6. Could you make it that the puddles created by rainwater can be drained with a bucket, resulting in a bucket with river_water?

7. 3. I get another error when I die in a sandstorm:

AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'climate_api' in callback environment_Step(): ...\mods\climate\regional_weather/ca_weathers/sandstorm.lua:68: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'light' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...\mods\climate\regional_weather/ca_weathers/sandstorm.lua:68: in function 'effects'
	...n64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/trigger.lua:64: in function 'get_weather_effects'
	...n64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/trigger.lua:93: in function 'get_active_effects'
	...-win64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:19: in function <...-win64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/main.lua:6>
	...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:429: in function <...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:413>
stack traceback:
8. Do you prefer my input here or should I make issues on github or any other way? Also english or German?(Asking, since both of us are German)

9. Update

When I insert some value I am not supposed to, I get an error:

I tried /set_wind 10 x

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'climate_api' in callback on_chat_message(): ...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\common\vector.lua:6: Invalid vector passed to vector.new()
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	...netest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\common\vector.lua:6: in function 'new'
	...64-demo\bin\..\mods\climate\climate_api/lib/commands.lua:148: in function 'func'
	...0\minetest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\chat.lua:69: in function <...0\minetest-5.2.0-win64-demo\bin\..\builtin\game\chat.lua:48>
Whatever I say is CC0

cuthbertdoublebarrel

TestificateMods wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 02:36
Well, uh, yeah. I did. It's the wind. But good point.
but i do not have a drafty patio!!
no worries all that fiddling with the settings i discovered the view range was disabling that lovely fog . i did find a work around and that was to increase the walk speed somthing i was i unaware of . As for Ambient lite i was getting bored of the same wildlife sounds .. also what is great about your mod is the change in hue to the landscape when viewed agianst grey clouds . I will explore and fiddle with all the new settings much appriciated .

TestificateMods

Bastrabun wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 07:19
2. Depends on how it is done. Do you determine above which node a weather effect should take place near a player, or do you add some layers of particles around a player and only check above? I assume you don't do automatic weather below 0 anyways, right?
Like most mods, I check for the maximum daylight at a player's head position. This will always be 15 if a player is not underneath a roof whereas lamps can reach a maximum of 14. In addition to that, I also disable weather presets outside the configurable height range (which defaults to -50 to 120). The light check is extremely fast und only done once per update cycle and player. Only exception is the deep_cave preset which is applied underneath the usual height range. But all it does is remove sun, stars and moon, and color the skybox black (so that you don't get weird skybox clippings when the terrain is loading in a cave).
How bad is it performancewise to raycast downwards from cloudlevel until a solid node is found and only display weather above? (Or, half the rain/snow effect for each leaves node the raycast is passing?). You don't need to do that every step, but since others use raycasts for radar, it can't be that bad. And you'd only have to do it once the weather starts and then every x seconds (under the assumption that players don't build a roof to shelter). To avoid lagspikes, you don't need to do it all in one step, but at random around the player.

Or am I just wrong and not the where to make weather but the how to make weather with particles is the expensive thing? (And you probably already use raycasts and line_of_sight)
The raycast itself wouldn't be too bad. The problem is that I would then have to split the particles into multiple "height areas" depending on the raycast's result. This, in turn, means that I need multiple particle spawners (with different settings) which lead to a lot more lag because they aren't optimized well. It's possible theoretically but only really doable once the engine gets some optimization for particle systems. Alternatively, I could spawn the particles individually instead of using a spawner. But that's even worse for performance.

I might experiment with this a little bit. But it's most likely going to stay an optional setting that's disabled by default.
I just made it rain in a fairly large cave, that's awesome :)
Wait, what? That should only be possible if you have direct sunlight access.
Although I suppose it's possible if the ceiling isn't loaded based on your viewing range. But that's gotta be a large cave! :o
For the malicous people: Is there a way to make weather for another player? ;)
If you have the weather privilege, you can tinker with the global settings that affect everyone. Othen than that, I really cannot think of a way. You could remove the roof on top of an afk player during a heavy hail, I guess.
What is it that sometimes the fog lifts for about a second and then conceals the landscape again? It feels like this effect is in sync with the sound of the wind?
Uuhhh... I'm not sure what's going on there. Fog should be applied regardless of the indoors check. It does indeed not apply at high windspeeds but the wind should only be updated every 15 seconds. Have you disabled standard MTG weather in the settings as instructed? Because the included mod called "weather" randomizes the clouds (and that's all it does, really). That can obviously interfere with my own cloud effects, including the fog.
But the worst thunderstorm is still looking and sounding quite harmless. Maybe I didn't find the right settings yet. I compare with weather_pack, where the sky gets dark, roaring thunder, ...
Yeah. It's supposed to be more of a heavy rain with occasional lightning as opposed to a full on thunderstorm. I was planning to do a second pack with extreme weather scenarios and desasters. Those are obviously not something for everyone, so they will be separated into their own mod. It's kinda low on my bucket list, though.
6. Could you make it that the puddles created by rainwater can be drained with a bucket, resulting in a bucket with river_water?
Theoretically, I could. I was hesitant to do so because a water bucket usually takes a whole node of water whereas these are just very small puddles. I am working a joke mod, though, that adds a mop you can use to get rid of the puddles and that you can drain in a bucket once it's filled up. I was going to call it "mopkit". XD
7. 3. I get another error when I die in a sandstorm: [...]
When I insert some value I am not supposed to, I get an error: [...]
Agh. Looks like I missed some more stuff. Thanks.
8. Do you prefer my input here or should I make issues on github or any other way? Also english or German?(Asking, since both of us are German)
Either way is fine really. I suppose in an ideal scenario, I prefer general feedback on the forums and bug reports on Github. English is best so that other people can understand what's going on.