[Map] Map [Map]

jas
IRC: Freenode

[Map] Map [Map]

by jas » Post

This mod allows you to use the minimap in radar mode in survival play. It absolutely blows my mind that currently, even if you craft the mapping kit, you cannot use radar mode in singleplayer survival gameplay. That was paramat's idea.

Anyway this mod is called `map', will override the `map' mod in MTG if enabled, and allows to use the minimap in surface and radar mode, regardless of whether you have a mapping kit (which no longer exists), and regardless of whether you're in creative mode.

I still cannot wrap my head around why in the wild world of sports you're not allowed to use radar mode in survival and have to make a mod to do so.
Attachments
map.zip
(371 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times

Astrobe

Re: [Map] Map [Map]

by Astrobe » Post

Radar mode is annoying because it makes tactics like hiding entrances behind foliage or mods like hidden doors much less effective. People can effortlessly see if someone is hiding facilities underground. Labyrinths are also easily solved. Recently dungeon chests were introduced, so it is understandable that they didn't want dungeons to be too easily spotted and mapped.

MTG defines a difficulty level which is IMHO on the easy side even without radar mode because of cheap eternal torches, but YMMV. If you want it more difficult, you install a "realistic torches" mod; if people want it easier, your mod might be useful to them. Other authors might use it as an opportunity to introduce an expensive magic/tech device.

The fact that radar mode is not available in Creative is probably just an overlook, no need to scream and shout at people.

jas

by jas » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 23:46
no need to scream and shout at people.
?

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

If you want minimap without restriction, simply disable (actually remove) map mod from minetest_game.

On a gameplay point of view, I totally agree with Astrobe.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

jas

by jas » Post

My point is that, as an end-user, one must know they have to remove `map' from minetest_game/mods/ simply to use a feature they may or may not know even exists.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

My point is that, as an end-user, one must know they have to remove `map' from minetest_game/mods/ simply to use a feature they may or may not know even exists.
As a technical user myself, even I find this to be a confounding solution particularly considering that the minimap was a pretty integral part of the classic gameplay strategy. This is almost as unintuitive as the 3rd-person view keybind change that just happened, and end-users were just expected to figure it out on their own.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

While some changes are sometimes a bit too "abrupt", regarding the keybindings for the minimap and 3rd person view, it's not like users have to peruse the Changelog; they can find out what's going on by checking out the keybindings UI. That said, maybe I am biased because as a left-handed person and AZERTY keyboard user, the first thing I do with any game is to redefine keybindings (usually using the numeric keypad 8456 instead of WASD - but it is sometimes poorly handled in games).

jas

KEY BINDINGS TIME!!

by jas » Post

Mine is ESDF for movement, TXCVARGB for the eight item slots, SHIFT for sneak, SPACE for sprint, RMB for jump, etc..

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I would never think to check the keybindings, particularly when there is no explicable reason for them to change between versions.

I assumed, just like with the minimap, that the 3rd person view was simply disabled by default in Minetest 5.x.

jas

by jas » Post

Don't even get me started about the so-called "cinematic mode"

I once formatted my system and reinstalled Debian because I thought something was wrong with my mouse. Search for "mouse smoothing," "mouse filtering," nothing!* Paramat told me it's "cinematic" for a very good reason: Movie production.

I shit you not.

*I had accidently hit the "cinematic mode" keybind and never knew it even existed. It has since been removed, thankfully!