[Mod] Aquavator - Robust elevator implementation [0.2] [aquavator]

Ferret2
In-game: Ferret2

[Mod] Aquavator - Robust elevator implementation [0.2] [aquavator]

by Ferret2 » Post

Simple elevator, coded for robustness, for use even on slow computers and in games where big lags occur.

This mod adds the "Aquavator Cart", a minecart-like entity which travels only in water, and only strictly vertically up/down.

For robustness, Cart movement is implemented using successive set_pos() to move into neighboring nodes, and not via the entity velocity mechanics in the game engine. That way, the Cart never moves anywhere it shouldn't, even when big lags occur. Unlike many other elevator implementations, the code also ensures that all map blocks the Cart moves through are loaded before they are read. The Cart automatically pauses its movement into a new mapblock until the mapblock is loaded.

Apart from the robustness aspect, this elevator implementation also explores the idea of using a vertical water column as the "tracks" that the elevator travels through. Since water is already in the game, this makes this elevator very cheap, and makes the mod very simple.

To use the mod: Create a vertical water column, which acts as the "tracks" for the Aquavator Cart. Place the Cart in the water column like a regular minecart. Entering/leaving the Cart also works like a regular minecart. Move up/down by pressing Jump or Sneak, respectively. Stop by pressing any of the sideways movement keys WASD. Picking up the Cart into your inventory is a simple left-click (without Sneak). The player riding the Cart has unlimited air supply.

Screenshots:

Download newest version:
aquavator_v02.zip
Version 0.2 (11 August 2020)
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Previous version, implemented entirely differently:
aquavator.zip
Version 0.1 (24 July 2020)
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

The b3d model is a copy of the one from the "carts" mod by PilzAdam.
The textures are adapted from the "carts" mod by PilzAdam.

Notes:
- Only tested with Minetest version 0.4.16
- Only tested as singleplayer

Please comment below! All feedback is appreciated. Please comment especially if using this elevator implementation you still experience problems e.g. when playing on a slow computer.
Attachments
aquavator_screenshots_collage1.png
aquavator_screenshots_collage1.png (492.95 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Last edited by Ferret2 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 06:30, edited 4 times in total.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Mod] Aquavator Cart (simple water column elevator) [0.1] [aquavator]

by Andrey01 » Post

Nice idea. I would suggest to add some specific style for the cart texture, maybe e.g. fully metallic or stone. Also, uploading the mod source on github would be desirable than just download attachment.

Ferret2

Re: [Mod] Aquavator Cart (simple water column elevator) [0.1] [aquavator]

by Ferret2 » Post

Hi Andrey01, thank you !

I kind of like the texture as it is:-). It makes the parallel with the minecart very clear, but at the same time the color makes it clear that it's a different thing than the ordinary minecart (the one that travels on rails). I think of the green color as representing wood with moss on it, caused by dampness, like stone in the game always gets mossy and green near water. I.e. it is a "Mossy Minecart":-). Interpreting it like this makes it very easy to remember that the green minecart is associated with water.

In a next upload, I may however remove the small dark spots near the "wheels" of the minecart (since wheels in the texture really are not appropriate for the water elevator cart).

I'm not really a graphic artist, anyone please feel free to create a new texture. Just post it here in an attachment and I'll put it in.

I am not on github, and not considering joining it, sorry. Updates will be posted here, through new attachments added into the first post.

Ferret2

Re: [Mod] Aquavator - Robust elevator implementation [0.2] [aquavator]

by Ferret2 » Post

Update: I changed the implementation completely (new version 0.2, see updated link in the top post), to make it much more robust. See updated description in top post. The new implementation should yield an elevator that is robust even on slow computers and even when using mods that are much too resource intensive for the computer. (In my case, playing minetest on a netbook with the NSSM mod enabled.)

Anyone still experiencing problems with this elevator while playing on a slow machine please comment!

Unacceptium_core
GitHub: Unacceptium
IRC: same as ingame names
In-game: unacceptium or unbihexium or ununennium or unbiquadium

Re: [Mod] Aquavator - Robust elevator implementation [0.2] [aquavator]

by Unacceptium_core » Post

im searching for an elevator mod wich works different than most others. this mod is actually cool! i have tested it on mobile, 5.8.0 and works fine, no errors or problems show up! i wanna make a YT video about it.
only one visual thing, the cart and the water texture is in the very same pixel, they start to weirdly vibrate.
🇭🇺-i play on android! Metrotest map