[flower_bushes] Flower Bushes (Very WIP)

KatzEyez
GitHub: KatzPetz
IRC: LadyK
In-game: LadyK

[flower_bushes] Flower Bushes (Very WIP)

by KatzEyez » Post

I am currently writing my first mod. Bare with me please as this is a steep learning curve for me. :)

The mod will create flowering bushes that can be used to make hedges using Shara's Hedges Mod. Players will also be able to harvest flowers and craft dyes from them. There will be 15 flowering bushes (one for each color of dye) and 1 leaf bush that will represent a harvested flower bush. There are also 15 flowers.
This is the screenshot for the mod.
This is the screenshot for the mod.
screenshot.png (220.85 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

The idea is for them to grow similarly to the blueberry bushes. So they are 1 node high and randomly grow in a 3x3 grid.

This is and example of where the flower bushes will spawn.
This is and example of where the flower bushes will spawn.
Screenshot_257.png (515.86 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

I don't plan to have them spawn naturally. I intend for the seeds to be crafted. If someone else wants to modify that for their own purposes, I don't mind, however, at this point, I want the mod to be able to be added to existing servers that have been explored a lot. They also will not spread like flowers do.

I also have plans to make the mod work with several other mods, however, I haven't gotten that far. I've uploaded the mod (so far) to GitLab. Sorry I'm not 100% familiar with the site. I know some of you might start wanting to suggest fixes, please remember, this mod is NOT completed yet and I am still working on it. I'm showing it to you so you can see it. If you want to use it as it is and change it for your own use, you can. (Please test in your private worlds first, so you know what it is not doing yet!)

https://gitlab.com/LadyK/flower-bushes

I'm curious how this mod will be received, so I hope you all like the idea.

This is what I want the mod to be able to do:
Flower Bush should grow similarly to blueberry bush (randomly, within a 3x3x1 grid).
Punching flower bushes will harvest flowers, unless you punch with Ethereal axe, which will dig the flower bush, keeping the flowers in tact.
Once harvested, flowers will regenerate. However, if punched a second time, it will dig the Flower Bush Leaves. If the Flower Bush Leaves are dug, they will no longer regrow flowers.
Flower Bushes and Flower Bush Leaves will not decay.
Flower Bush Saplings will be able to be dyed to change colors, however Flower Bushes and Flower Bush Leaves will not.
Use default group:bush_saplings plus dyes to craft Flower Bush Sapling in the same color as the dye used (hopefully this will give more uses for all the saplings laying around in chests).
If flowers are put through the Technic extractor, it doubles the dye output.
If Hedges mod is present, players will be able to craft Flower Bush hedges with or without flowers, depending on which recipe they use.
I still need to make all the flowers into overlays.
I haven't decided exactly what soil types I want the flowers to work with. I had thought about making the mod more complex, so that certain colors need a certain soil type, especially if Ethereal is present. However, I think that would only be useful if the mod were added at the beginning of a server's existence and not on servers that have been around for more than a few weeks (or explored a lot).
Last edited by KatzEyez on Sun Jul 26, 2020 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Why wish upon a star when you can pray to the one who created it.

JuanjoPM
GitHub: JuanjoPM-eltatitopaco
IRC: JuanjoPM
In-game: JuanjoPM

Re: [flower_bushes] Flower Bushes (Very WIP)

by JuanjoPM » Post

Great Idea! I'm impatient for trying it! Can't wait for it :D, great job ;=)

runs

by runs » Post

Oh, I've been thinking about doing just that for a while: 2 flower hedges, for my Juanchi Game. What a coincidence.

But my approach is simpler, no seeds, crafting flowers.

Agura
GitHub: Agura
IRC: Agura
In-game: Agura

by Agura » Post

Can't wait to see the results :D

darcksama

by darcksama » Post

i will put i my server bigworld =D thanks for great work Lady

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Oh, nice mod idea. Hope the flower bushes will be available on servers soon!
A list of my mods can be found here.

KatzEyez

by KatzEyez » Post

Thanks everyone. I only have weekends to really work on the mod, because after work I'm beat tired and just want to relax playing before bed. I had hoped to have more done this weekend but we had a potential storm coming and I was on call for work, so I didn't get "involved" in a project. My goal is to have all the textures done this weekend and maybe have it playable - even if it's not 100% done. I want to make sure it's well tested and bugs fixed before I ask for it to be fully released. I had hesitated to publish it unfinished but I wanted to know if there would be interest (beyond a few friends).

kristovish
GitHub: kristovish
In-game: kristovish

by kristovish » Post

I have taken this Work In Progress mod that was initially created by LadyK.

With her assistance in providing textures and ideas, I have rebuilt it from scratch to use on my Minetest server Moonlight Falls. The result is a mod that is entirely new and unique, fully compatible with hedges and saw, and also with any mapgen that includes the 'default' setting.

The code is available for Lady K's use for any purpose she deems fit. I am excited to have this mod running on my server and I invite all players and anyone interested to join our Discord community through this link https://discord.gg/jjCNmj622m.

I am grateful to Lady K for her contributions in bringing this mod to life.

KatzEyez

by KatzEyez » Post

Thanks, kris. I really appreciate your enthusiasm and help with making my mod "come to life". It was a dream of mine to make it work, but with my limited mod writing skills and lack of time, I just wasn't getting anywhere with my dream. I love going onto Moonlight Falls and seeing it in use.

We also seen that Centuria has their own version, that doesn't work quite the same way, but still functions for their server. All the textures are added to the repo.

I really like how you let me have input on how the mod works on your server, kris. You made it work like I wanted, like you needed, and how it best fits with the server. Again, thank you!