[mod] dowsing / rhabdomancy (pre-alpha)

Oblomov
GitHub: Oblomov
IRC: tango_
In-game: Oblomov

[mod] dowsing / rhabdomancy (pre-alpha)

by Oblomov » Post

I've grown tired of missing great mining spots because of a thin layer of rock before it, while wasting a lot of time digging towards nowhere, so I've decided to create a dowsing mod.

This mod introduces dowsing rods that, passively while held or on use, will inform the user about the presence of “materials of interests” in a circumscribed area around the user.

Each rod has a collection of nodes or groups it can be used to dowse for, each with its own range, specificity and optional support for directional information.

The basic rod (crafted from four sticks) only dowses for water, and will thus let the user know if there is water nearby (or not-so-nearby), and in which direction.

The basic rod can be augmented to produce other rods.

Adding gravel will produce an “abstract rod”: this is non-specific and non-directional, in the sense that will inform the user about presence of “interesting” or “useful” elements, but not about what they are or where they are.
abstract-rod-example.jpg
(517.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Adding an ingot will produce a specific rod (e.g. steel rod), that will detect water (with directional information), coal (non-directional) and appropriate ores (e.g. stone with iron) with directional information.
steel-rod-example.jpg
(549.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The current (pre-alpha, barely working) code for the mod is available on GitHub for those that want to test it. Textures are not shipped with the mod at the moment (I'm still looking for a decent design for the rods and I don't want to pollute the repository with the various attempts), although I provide a Linux shell script that can generate a basic design if you have the appropriate tools (sxpm from the xpmtools and imagemagick's convert).

Have fun.

Oblomov

Re: [mod] dowsing / rhabdomancy (pre-alpha)

by Oblomov » Post

I've pushed an update to support settings for the configuration of the default interval and detection range, and most importantly to provide an API to allow other mods to register their own rods or to augment the “abstract rod” detection capabilities.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Oblomov wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 00:50
I've grown tired of missing great mining spots because of a thin layer of rock before it, while wasting a lot of time digging towards nowhere, so I've decided to create a dowsing mod.
one word ,ingenious.
topnotch idea ,its clever little things like this that make the gameplay so diverse.looking forward to trying this .
dowsing makes me think of crop circles . now instead of the mc cobblycraft portals we could grow crop circles on a secret spot that we have to dowse for ,to reach other dimensions or warp to distant locations . prehaps fairy rings too .
anyways welcome . good to have you here with great ideas like this .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I have a similar thing, a "magic wand" (actually, it's a magic multi-function compass) that makes ores emit particles for about 10 seconds when activated. Of course, the thing wears a little every time the player uses it. It is therefore directional and semi-specific (detects any metal ore) in your terminology.

It is a fun game mechanic indeed, in particular in my setting where ores are more scarce but can be found anywhere, including above surface (the density does not depend on depth).

Determining the detection radius for it is interesting: if too small, the player has too use it a lot, but if too large, the player has to dig more. I have settled for a radius of 5.

Oblomov

by Oblomov » Post

Thanks for the warm welcome, cuthbertdoublebarrel!

I like the idea of using dowsing to find the best place to build something, I hadn't thought about this kind of application.

It'll probably require some kind of change or extensions to the dowsing API to allow sensing / detection of something is not just nodes though. I could probably allow the dowsing specification to allow a function as an alternative to the current table approach, which would allow mods to allow more or less arbitrary detection routines, although this functionality is probably best reserved to manual use only (i.e. without the passive detection ability the current rods have).

I'll think about it, thanks for the stimulating suggestion.

Oblomov

by Oblomov » Post

Thanks for your comments, Astrobe. I also had some thoughts about using some kind of visual aid in the detection, but ultimately I decided to go against it because I thought it would make it a bit too “easy” to find stuff, but that's because in my case the tool provides a passive ability (you don't need to “use” the rods, just wield them). I'm also going with a wider range by default (8 instead of 5), but the directional information (when present) is only approximate, so you know the relative position of the sensed nodes with respect to you in terms of front/back/left/right/above/below, and whether they're “close” (less than half the range) or not, but not the exact location (you still have to dig around).

Finding a good balance between the features of the rods is going to be one of the most difficult parts of the mod. For example, I still haven't decided on whether using the rods should provide more accurate information vs the passive ability. And of course there's the cost of the rods themselves to consider …

Oblomov

by Oblomov » Post

Speaking of which, I've pushed another update. The abstract rod is now more expensive (requires 2x papyrus, 1 sand (group), 1 gravel and 2x flint), and the detection range of all rods gets doubled on use (I have not introduced wear, and I'm not sure I will).