[mod] Animalia [0.6] [animalia]

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

[mod] Animalia [0.6] [animalia]

by ElCeejo » Post

**WARNING: If you have any version below 0.2 installed, you'll need to manually uninstall before updating.**

Animalia adds over a dozen new Animals, each having it's own unique aspects.

Exploration: Animalia encourages you to explore and document your world's creatures with the Libri Animalia, a journal that can logs the Animals you've met and gives helpful information. You can even duplicate the information from one libri to an empty one by putting both the crafting area.

Farming: Animalia brings multiple livestock creatures, including Cows, Sheep, and Chickens. These mobs can all be lead around using their favorite food or the Lasso, and can also be bred if you have a male and female. Some Animals have visual differences to tell males from females, such as udders on female Cows, Tail feathers on Roosters, and Tusks on male Pigs. You can also use the Animal Net to catch Animals and check their gender, and how much they trust you (if applicable)

Companionship: Animalia also adds multiple Pets with different taming methods and uses. Wolves are simple to tame and will protect you and your livestock. Horses require you to break them and saddle them, and can traverse great distances. Cats are annoying, but cute and a fun companion to keep around your house, keep your glass vessels in a safe area and be sure to play with them regularly to build trust.

Depth: A multitude of ambient Animals add a bit of depth to your world. Chirping Bats in caves that swarm when approached. Singing Birds that sick near their nests in trees and fly in beautiful flocks. Croaking Frogs in Swamps that use their long tongues to eat bugs.

This mod will be updated in themed phases. Currently, there is the initial Livestock update, The Domestication update, and the Ambience update. Sometimes, Animals that fit into a prior role will be added outside of a major update, such as Turkeys and Reindeer.

Many future updates are planned, and I gladly take suggestions.

License: MIT
Dependencies: creatura
Download
Source
Last edited by ElCeejo on Wed Mar 15, 2023 21:32, edited 27 times in total.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1] [better_fauna]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Wish there was a thumbs up, alas not so thumbs up

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

Bur exactly what avantage would have this mod over other?, i mean so far i could say that maybe the spawn would be more reliable, since the mobs would spawn in group would let you have a breeding couple fast.
Are they able to be tamed as with mobs redo?, is easier to move them around in that mod

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Ignaramico wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 23:45
Bur exactly what advantage would have this mod over other?, i mean so far i could say that maybe the spawn would be more reliable, since the mobs would spawn in group would let you have a breeding couple fast.
Are they able to be tamed as with mobs redo?, is easier to move them around in that mod
For myself it's anyone using the mobkit framework from scratch, not so useful for servers (fairly sure mobs:redo has a performance advantage and is better suited for the server environment) but for single player or local multiplayer games mobkit from what I can tell allows for much more natural looking behavior long term. Runz has done some great work creating some "brains" for his petz mobs as has Gundel developing some very impressive behaviors, Termos has also demo'd some cool stuff.

Mobkit in general very much reminds me of an old NWN module which allowed animals to queue behaviors and have priorities. The demo's that author put up were very similar wolf pack hunting deer and deer reacting more naturally. For the life of me I cant remember the name started with M..something anyways the underlying principals from what I remember are very similar to mobkit

but I personally like when anyone gives mobkit a try as it might show some unique development or behavior that others can build on. My only fear is that Termos will vanish and mobkit will not be able to remain updated in the future....

anyways I've probably hijacked this thread enough :)

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Sorry for the relatively late response, I'm a bit burned out from Minetest at the moment.
Wish there was a thumbs up, alas not so thumbs up
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but ok.
Bur exactly what avantage would have this mod over other?, i mean so far i could say that maybe the spawn would be more reliable, since the mobs would spawn in group would let you have a breeding couple fast.
At the moment there is no obvious advantage over the alternatives,. There aren't as many mobs, the ones that are available are basic, but the less obvious advantages are important.

First off, the pathfinding works better than that of petz, water_life, or mobs_animal.

Second, the model style is consistent. There aren't some models with some okay textures, then some with flat boring textures like petz. There are no models with hundreds of triangles, then some with maybe 8 cubes total like water_life. And mobs_animal is just a mess.

Third, lag. I tested 1 chicken against a petz chicken and found that (according to the built-in profiler) my chicken causes 24% less lag on average against a petz chicken.

As it stands right now I rushed this mod out because I wanted to take break from Minetest modding, but when I'm back into it I'll be polishing things and adding more mobs.

Also, I forgot to mention in the thread, There's a net that can hold one animal that's only available in creative for the time being.
Last edited by ElCeejo on Fri Mar 26, 2021 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

I for one welcome Better Fauna! I really like water_life (except the seagull) and would really like a fully featured land animal mod to accompany it. Petz has tons of mobs but I just can't take the style seriously, it feels so silly being mauled to death by a blocky lion.

Haven't seen all the mobs for this yet, but definitely already an improvement model wise over mobs_animal.

runs

by runs » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 15:20
Petz has tons of mobs but I just can't take the style seriously, it feels so silly being mauled to death by a blocky lion.
Better Fauna is welcomed, but its target audience is different.

Just one note: Petz is intended for players 6-12 years old = PEGI 6 compliant. The description of the mod already indicates this clearly, it has never pretended to be anything else. So it is in a blocky style, simple and with flat vibrant colors that young kids demand.

More realistic models are possible indeed. For example, the alternative to the default kawaii-cute-blocky-dull lion in my private game is this one:

But when I went for more realistic, the people complained, cos lag, and the kids would scared by it.
Last edited by runs on Wed Apr 13, 2022 09:13, edited 2 times in total.

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 18:28
freshreplicant wrote:
Petz has tons of mobs but I just can't take the style seriously, it feels so silly being mauled to death by a blocky lion.

Just one note: Petz is intended for players 6-12 years old
I appreciate the explanation (though we're veering off topic here), but I am most definitely not your target audience - off by several decades. Nothing wrong with your mod, I just want an alternative. More variety and diversity is good for the Minetest community, so I'm all for ElCeejo entering the fray.

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 18:28
freshreplicant wrote:

Just one note: Petz is intended for players 6-12 years old = PEGI 6 compliant. The description of the mod already indicates this clearly, it has never pretended to be anything else. So it is in a blocky style, simple and with flat vibrant colors that young kids demand.

More realistic models are possible indeed. For example, the alternative to the default kawaii-cute-blocky-dull lion in my private game is this one:

But when I went for more realistic, the people complained, cos lag, and the kids would scared by it.
Well,if you add those kind of models i wouldn't complain.Instead,it will make petz more good looking cuz standard models look wierd.I don't think it will scare kids because kids who go to zoo see real animals but do they get scared?
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

Termos

by Termos » Post

sirrobzeroone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 00:56
For myself it's anyone using the mobkit framework from scratch, not so useful for servers (fairly sure mobs:redo has a performance advantage and is better suited for the server environment)
The last time I checked it was actually quite the opposite.
Any specific reasons why you think that?

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

I can confirm that mobkit is indeed faster in this case. My Chickens are 66% faster (less laggy) on average than a mobs_animal Chicken. Also keep in mind that my Chickens even use pathfinding and still manage to be noticeably lass taxing on servers.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

just had a glance.
nice mod
I really like the creature design although there is still room for improvement of course.
Goats and ducks would be nice for farms as well.

From there I would think wild versions of each that change to tamed versions (including model/texture change) if bred might be an interesting path.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Termos wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 08:51
sirrobzeroone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 00:56
For myself it's anyone using the mobkit framework from scratch, not so useful for servers (fairly sure mobs:redo has a performance advantage and is better suited for the server environment)
The last time I checked it was actually quite the opposite.
Any specific reasons why you think that?
Sorry Termos Im slow on the keeping up, I've been reading around and around a fair number of threads on mobkit trying to get handle on brain building. I thought one mentioned a performance hit but to be honest I couldn't point you at the thread or even a date.....sorry

Really like mobkit wish I could link through to some info on that old NWN mod but I cant locate it

More on topic - Elceejo I have an Auroch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs) model I've been working on for a game I'm working on, It includes a male, female and calf version - the calf has male and female but its just a texture switch. Animations are walk, trot, run, die, eat(head down), chew cud and attack. If your interested I'm happy to share as b3d files and textures or the raw blends. I have some plans for my game to allow breeding from Wild>>Domestic but knowing me I'll never finish so happy to share :) (with anyone for that matter)

Edit: Upload to Git, I'll try and get my standard cow/bull/calf up as well. The animations I'm still working on, at the moment it's pretty basic - i used the same armature that I created when I fixed mob_redo_animals cow awhile back.
https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/Animal_Models
Attachments
Aurochs_Family.png
Aurochs_Family.png (607.55 KiB) Viewed 14574 times

ElCeejo

Patch 0.1.1

by ElCeejo » Post

Nice Models, I'll check them out. That being said, we have a patch!

- Fixed crash with Sheep

- New Raw/Cooked Chicken textures

- Whiter White Chickens

- New Pig/Chicken Spawn Egg textures

- Added Net craft recipe

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1.1] [better_fauna]

by Sokomine » Post

ElCeejo wrote: Third, lag. I tested 1 chicken against a petz chicken and found that (according to the built-in profiler) my chicken causes 124% less lag on average against a petz chicken.
Certainly important for industrial-scale livestock farming. At least in an MT world they don't mind :-) And of course anything reducing server load without restricting functionality too much is great.

The chicken model and the straw they stand on look nice. Do groups of animals stick together? Where's the shepherd?
sirrobzeroone wrote: Animations are walk, trot, run, die, eat(head down), chew cud and attack.
The models look very nice in the screenshots. But it'd be great if the auerochses could lie down from time to time as well. They need to sleep sometimes...and chew their food a second time as well.
A list of my mods can be found here.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 22:35
sirrobzeroone wrote: Animations are walk, trot, run, die, eat(head down), chew cud and attack.
The models look very nice in the screenshots. But it'd be great if the auerochses could lie down from time to time as well. They need to sleep sometimes...and chew their food a second time as well.
Lol , I'm trying to add it back but a bit more efficiently than the way I did it for the mobs_redo cow, I need it back as I want it for sheep as they definitely sit way more than cattle. For the minute focused on wrapping up Mouflon(Sheep), next will be Red Jungle Fowl (Chicken). Then back to laying down, I might make my own thread just so i dont clutter up Elceejo's. I had most of the static models done for Cow/Sheep/Chicken (wild versions) with a rigged armature I could use for Cow/Sheep they "only" needed cleanup texturing and turning into male/female/baby. Chickens a bit more work as the armature animation is in-complete from memory.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Great to hear that the mobs will learn how to lie down and rest. Thank you!
sirrobzeroone wrote: Chickens a bit more work as the armature animation is in-complete from memory.
Probably matters less because they're smaller animals. The larger they become the more they have to do in order to appear realistic. Chicken may get away with some hopping around now and then :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

ElCeejo

Turkeys!

by ElCeejo » Post

Thanksgiving is tomorrow in the U.S, and while it's not a holiday I'm very fond of, it's a perfect excuse to release a new mob, introducing the Turkey!

Turkeys are very similar to chickens in behavior, they drop more meat. This means that they are better to farm for meat than Chickens. They spawn in Taigas and Deciduous Forests in groups of up to 6.

This update also comes with support for frame blending, which makes animation transitions a lot smoother. Because not everyone is on 5.3.0, this feature is disabled automatically on versions 5.2.0 and earlier.

Happy Thanksgiving!

sirrobzeroone

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1.2] [better_fauna]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Like the Turkeys :). I tried to find shears to shear the sheep but they seem to still be tied to "mobs:shears"?

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

For the time being I've just left those as the shears to use until I can get around to doing an item overhaul. You may notice cows also drop "mobs:leather". Things like that will be changed by the time phase 2 is here.

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

damn, those turkeys looks nice.
Will all your animals be practical?, just to know what to expect, with the petz mod i disable most of them except for the farm animals,

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

The plan is to have practical animals like the ones included right now, animals that can assist the player in some way like the ones in the next phase, and animals that are there to add challenges and/or ambience. 2 things I have planned are rats that destroy crops, and owls you can "befriend" that will stay around your property and scare rats away, in this case the rats are a challenge, and the owl is both a solution to the problem in addition to being night time ambience. Once there are multiple groups of animals (livestock, ambient, pest, etc.) I'll add toggles for them.

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

ElCeejo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 22:30
The plan is to have practical animals like the ones included right now, animals that can assist the player in some way like the ones in the next phase, and animals that are there to add challenges and/or ambience. 2 things I have planned are rats that destroy crops, and owls you can "befriend" that will stay around your property and scare rats away, in this case the rats are a challenge, and the owl is both a solution to the problem in addition to being night time ambience. Once there are multiple groups of animals (livestock, ambient, pest, etc.) I'll add toggles for them.
So you are talking about porting these? https://github.com/Adnan1091/mobs_animal_pack awesome.
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

ElCeejo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 22:30
Cool! The rat/owl thing sounds really nice. All for more ambiance. I would actually enjoy more mods that add birds, like even just tiny robins, sparrows and stuff that don't do much. Maybe you can feed them seeds or something? I use the Aero Test mod already, but sometimes the skies feel pretty empty (though I do have the wasps from d00med activated on my single-player worlds).

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

love the turkey and chicken they look top notch sounds are spot on too , the rats sound a great idea . . A barn owl would really fit the stylized look.
One little problem . pathfinding ? the sheep appear to be moving too fast to follow when i hold wheat . they fail to navigate the open double metal doors that provide entry to my field . they will run straight to me, then when I go through the gateway . they will just run back and forth without turning . the Mobs sheep and pig appear to take more time to navigate and shuffle slowly into postion always turning to face me . i have wacked walk speed up to 8 so that maybe a factor . or prehaps its the snow and puddle patches from etheral . . nevertheless its still a great mod for adding realistic herd numbers as i observe when walking in the forests myself. minetest worlds are now starting to appear more lifelike .
not far off a RLcraft experience but without the corperate eyecandy. .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz