[mod] Animalia [0.6] [animalia]

JordanL2

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.2.6] [animalia]

by JordanL2 » Post

You can just enable tall fences and gates in the settings.

Jackknife

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.2.6] [animalia]

by Jackknife » Post

Okay I wasn’t sure if that would work. I’ll have to try that out

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

Holiday Special Update

by ElCeejo » Post

Happy Holidays! The "under the hood" changes and full Ambience Update I've been promising aren't quite ready yet, but I didn't want to let the Holidays pass without bringing something new. So here's your first ambient mob, the Reindeer!

They may be intended for ambience, but if you're lost in a cold biome and need food then hunting some might be a good idea. They drop Venison, which is slightly less filling than Beef, but much easier to get while in cold biomes.

This update also marks the end of an era. I'll leave it to you to try and figure out what that means, but I assure you that this mod isn't going anywhere.

ElCeejo

Ambience Update Teaser

by ElCeejo » Post

The Ambience Update is almost here. Featuring new mobs, new behaviors, and a new API to power it all.

ElCeejo

Update 0.3 - Ambience

by ElCeejo » Post

The Ambience update is finally here! I'd like to a give a huge thanks to my Patrons for their help with testing and feedback! This mod probably wouldn't be the way it is now if not for them.

Now, unto the new additions:

Song Birds: Small flying Birds that come in 3 varieties, each variant having their own unique set of calls.

Bats: Small flying Mammals, found in colonies underground. Their quiet squeaks bring life to boring, dull caves.

Frogs: Small Amphibians that love the waters edge. Their croaks and splashes make bland swamps and jungles come alive.

Tropical Fish Tiny colorful Fish that bring even more life and color to reefs.

While this update is primarily about the new Ambient mobs, it also brings some "under-the-hood" changes that I've been teasing for a while now. Through use of Creatura, mob behavior is now far more stable and lifelike. Through use of Theta* Pathfinding, mobs can use paths with arbitrary angles for more realistic following and chasing. In addition, the boids algorithm allows for realistic schools of Fish and flocks of Birds, as well as large travelling herds of Reindeer. Performance is also improved, with physics causing up to 60% less lag than before. Spawning is also improved, with better automatic biome group assignment, more consistent mapgen spawning, and far better group spawning.

Outside of the API, a new form of in-game documentation is available: The Libri Animalia. This book allows you to log the Animals you've met by right-clicking them, and provides useful information of logged animals.

Now as for the next step for Animalia, I'll be running a poll soon for the next update. This time around, I'll be showing a single mob for each update theme to give you a better idea of your options. Until then, have fun with the update!

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

Re: Update 0.3 - Ambience

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Great work!

j0j0n4th4n

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.3] [animalia]

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I see it has a new dependency. Where can we find the "creatura" mod?
cdb_894a100ddd76

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 19:32
I see it has a new dependency. Where can we find the "creatura" mod?
On both ContentDB and GitHub.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

Great mod! I have been enjoying it in my worlds. However, a suggestion I have is to add camels. Since we have reindeer to add more life to the tundras, why not camels to add life to the deserts? They could be tamable, and used to carry stuff in a caravan.

nogajun
GitHub: nogajun

by nogajun » Post

I posted an error that happens when using animalia and tsm_pyramid mod.

viewtopic.php?p=406946#p406946

Please check it out.

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

nogajun wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08

Please check it out.
Animalia isn't causing the crash. Because Animalia makes changes to mob punch functions, any crash traceback related to the on_punch of mobs from other mods will lead to Animalia. I assume that the issue here has to do with a missing nil check within the pyramid mod.

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

2022-02-11 09:38:01: WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "temp_gScore" inside a function at ...nap/minetest/1744/.minetest/mods/creatura/pathfinder.lua:312.
2022-02-11 09:38:01: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "boid_angle" accessed at .../minetest/1744/.minetest/mods/animalia/api/behaviors.lua:236
2022-02-11 13:07:42: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "follows" accessed at ...snap/minetest/1744/.minetest/mods/animalia/mobs/bird.lua:68
2022-02-13 13:23:39: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'animalia' in callback luaentity_Step(): .../snap/minetest/1744/.minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:380: attempt to index a nil value
2022-02-11 09:45:49: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down

i was testing the mod in singleplayer, with minetest game vanilla, just animalia and its dependences (creatura)

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

In which version of minetest you got that error?
cdb_894a100ddd76

LMD

by LMD » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 19:28
In which version of minetest you got that error?
Doesn't matter. The global access errors here are not version specific. temp_gScore is clearly a programming mistake and the variable should be localized. boid_angle too; perhaps the boid angle should be initialized correctly or the other value should just always be taken. Same goes for follows.
Last edited by LMD on Wed Feb 16, 2022 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

LMD

by LMD » Post

The crash stems from a poor check here: If there is no such registered node, this will fail. This includes both unknown nodes and ignore nodes.

Edit: I have submitted a pull request to fix it.

animaux
GitHub: animaux

by animaux » Post

Sorry if this is a noob question. But how can I update without killing all the existing animals in a world? I tried to replace the mod with folders cloned from github and added creature as well. This has resulted in all animals turning into »unknown objects«. What would be the right way to do this?

animaux

by animaux » Post

OK, I think the very noob thing I forgot to do was to activate creatura … but, I do get a similar error, even with the patch from the submitted pull request in place:

Code: Select all

2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'animalia' in callback luaentity_Step(): .../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:869: attempt to call field 'get_objects_in_area' (a nil value)
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:869: in function 'collision_detection'
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:956: in function '_physics'
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:767: in function <.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:755>

LMD

by LMD » Post

animaux wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 14:07
OK, I think the very noob thing I forgot to do was to activate creatura … but, I do get a similar error, even with the patch from the submitted pull request in place:

Code: Select all

2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'animalia' in callback luaentity_Step(): .../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:869: attempt to call field 'get_objects_in_area' (a nil value)
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:869: in function 'collision_detection'
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:956: in function '_physics'
2022-02-19 15:02:06: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:767: in function <.../Application Support/minetest/mods/creatura/mob_meta.lua:755>
What's your Minetest version? get_objects_in_area is a 5.4.0 feature.

animaux

by animaux » Post

Thanks, version is Minetest 5.4.0-dev-10.13.6-2f6393f49

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Try using a stable version of 5.4.1 or newer

animaux

by animaux » Post

Thanks, will try to compile a current version on my x86 mac since I have not been able to get a running version on an M1.

animaux

by animaux » Post

Thanks again, after some hassle I was able to get a working 5.4.1 via homebrew. And it seems to run fine!

ElCeejo

Update 0.3.2

by ElCeejo » Post

Just some small fixes to behavior and spawning.

- Fixed mobs not breeding when fed
- Fixed shaved Sheep texture
- Birds, Bats, and Fish can no longer be lasso'd
- Improved mapgen spawning

At some point later today or tomorrow I'll be making an announcement, so be on the lookout.

Also, the Discord link in my signature has been fixed, sorry if anyone was unable to join because of that.

nogajun
GitHub: nogajun

by nogajun » Post

ElCeejo wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 15:45
nogajun wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08

Please check it out.
Animalia isn't causing the crash. Because Animalia makes changes to mob punch functions, any crash traceback related to the on_punch of mobs from other mods will lead to Animalia. I assume that the issue here has to do with a missing nil check within the pyramid mod.
Yes, it was the pyramid mod that was causing the problem, so I had it fixed. Thank you!
viewtopic.php?p=407223#p407223

ElCeejo

Choose Animalias next update!

by ElCeejo » Post

As with last time, I'll be leaving the theme of the next update in the communities hands. This time around, voting and presentation will be carried out a bit differently. The initial 6 themes will be decided here on the forums, and the final 2 on Discord. In addition to this, each theme will have a mob I've already modelled to represent it.

Here are your choices:

Crocodiles are a large reptile that lurk near the waters edge waiting for prey. Despite being fairly aggressive, they can be tamed if imprinted on as a baby. This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Predator Update. This update will focus on bringing dangerous animals to the world, to keep players on edge.

Whales are a massive mammal found in open Ooceans. Despite their size, they are mostly harmless. That said, be careful swimming near them. They have an incredibly loud call, and can capsize boats.This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Ocean Update. This update will focus on bringing life to the currently stark Oceans.

Macaws are a medium sized bird found in Jungles, where they fly in groups from tree to tree in search of fruit. They're highly intelligent, capable of opening chests and doors for food, mimicing speach, and even basic use of tools. This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Domestication Part 2 Update. This update will focus on adding more helpful domesticated animals, and making improvements to existing ones.

Marlins are a large, speedy fish that use their sword-like face to attack smaller fish in the open Ocean. They're hard to catch, but provide a neat trophy or hardy meal. This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Fishing Update. This update will focus on adding a fun activity the game in the form of fishing, as well as adding life to Rivers and Oceans.

Capybaras are a large, semi-aquatic rodent that lounge around in Jungles. Their friendly demeanor attracts a number of ambient mobs, like Frogs and Song Birds, which often perch on their backs. This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Wilderness Update. This update will focus on adding at least one unique mob to each biome found in Minetest Game.

Geckos are small reptile with many variants found in numerous biomes. They make great pets, and have the unique trait of dropping their tail to save themselves upon recieving otherwise fatal damage. This is one of the mobs that will be added in the Herpetology Update. This update will focus on adding small, collectible reptiles and amphibians.

Quite a diverse cast. Remember: These are not the only mobs that would be added, just representatives of the update overall.

I look forward to seeing your decisions.