[mod] Animalia [0.6] [animalia]

SpinKitty

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1.2] [better_fauna]

by SpinKitty » Post

Do you have any specifications on cats and wolves? A server that I'm playing on has better_fauna, and I've captured several cats and sheep in nets. However, now that I have them, I don't know how to deal with them for breeding or what to feed them.
cdb_5563d58744e6

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1.2] [better_fauna]

by freshreplicant » Post

SpinKitty wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 19:49
Do you have any specifications on cats and wolves? A server that I'm playing on has better_fauna, and I've captured several cats and sheep in nets. However, now that I have them, I don't know how to deal with them for breeding or what to feed them.
Better_fauna does not have wolves or cats at this stage, so they might be from another mod like mobs_animals or petz.

ElCeejo had very ambitious plans for this mod, including cats and dogs/wolves, but I think he's pretty busy with other stuff so this mod hasn't really seen much development.

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

Animalia is here!

by ElCeejo » Post

Animalia is here! Now featuring updated models and visuals, along with 3 new mobs: Cats, Horses, and Wolves.

Cats are just as you would expect, being hard to keep under control and often being nuisance. Keep your glass vessels put away, they might get knocked down. And be careful not to step on them as they run under your feet for no reason whatsoever. It's not all problematic though, craft a Cat Toy to play with your new companion, and maybe pet them once in a while.

If you're more of a Dog person, there's Wolves. Wolves are loyal to their owner, attacking anything the owner commands, and following orders without question. Just make sure to keep your Sheep locked up, because wild or not, Wolves will always go for Sheep.

Need a quicker way around? Horses are just the thing for a beginning explorer. Taming them can be a chore, but is well worth the trouble. Horses can jump higher and run much faster than your average player. Make sure to keep a lasso handy, Horses don't follow orders like Cats and Wolves.

The Lasso isn't just for Horses though, it can be used on any Animalia animal. Once lassod, mobs will follow you around, making it easy to get Cows into an enclosure or keep Horses in their stable by tying the lasso to a fence post.

The Animal Net is also improved, and can now tell you your animals gender.

There's plenty of new features, but improvement to existing ones matter just as much.

Worlds too noisy? Mobs now make less sounds.

Mobs can now find their way to your faster with the A* pathfinder from Mob Core.

Worried about lag? Animalia is over 3x faster on average (according to data from Minetest builtin profiler) than the previous Better Fauna release.

Finally, spawning. For the longest time, loading into a new Minetest world as left you with barren landscapes as mobs take minutes upon minutes to spawn in. Now mobs appear with mapgen, appearing within 30 seconds of a new chunk being loaded.

I hope you all enjoy this update. Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated as always.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.2] [animalia]

by MisterE » Post

I will incorporate this into centeria survival server, and post bugs or annoyances as I find them.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Do wolves attack mobs_redo mobs?
can they do so without crashing the server? can they receive damage from mobs_redo mobs?

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Not at the moment, I'll add that to the to-do list.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

do you still use mobs_redo lasso and net etc? I dont really want duplicate tools for each mod

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

The tools are different now, since I'm aiming for this mod to eventually be a complete replacement for mobs_animal. The lasso and net in Animalia function differently to the ones in mobs redo though. The Lasso acts like a minecraft lead, to pull mobs around and tie them to fence posts. The Animal Net is used to capture mobs and stores them in the item itself instead of adding the animal as an item to your inventory. I could probably add an option to alias items from mobs redo though.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

yes please do. Its much better to have one tool if both frameworks are installed, if you can do that without breaking the functionality.

ElCeejo

Launch Day Patch

by ElCeejo » Post

Following some suggestions and bug reports, I've made some improvements.

There are now settings for converting mobs redo/mobs_animal items to Animalia items, as well as a toggle for spawning mobs.

Mapgen spawning has been improved, with less overspawning of specific mobs.

Lastly, a crash was fixed and some broken aliases were patched.

Thanks for your feedback.

Adnunano

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.2.1] [animalia]

by Adnunano » Post

It's a letdown that you included mobs that already exist in other Mobkit mob mods (petz,wildlife).
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

edit:deleted

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

by jwmhjwmh » Post

I think this is my favorite mod that adds basic animals. The mobs look good and feel alive.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Looks very interesting, great update!
ElCeejo wrote: Worried about lag? Animalia is over 3x faster on average (according to data from Minetest builtin profiler) than the previous Better Fauna release.
Lag is very important, so it is great to know that it has been significantly improved. Thanks!

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Adnunano wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 07:31
It's a letdown that you included mobs that already exist in other Mobkit mob mods (petz,wildlife).
Right now that's more or less the point. Animalia offers an alternative to the bug eyed sheep of petz and the boring wolves of wildlife. I do aim to add some more mobs at some point, but I want to ensure that I have the basics down first. But since I feel this is still valid criticism, I'll start a poll and let the community decide what comes next.

runs

by runs » Post

if you want war, you will have it. My next update will be DRACOZ.

Nobody messes with Samantha. In two words: NO-BODY
Attachments
dracoz.png
dracoz.png (15.81 KiB) Viewed 3277 times

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 20:55
Spoiler
if you want war, you will have it. My next update will be DRACOZ.

Nobody messes with Samantha. In two words: NO-BODY
God please wrap this abomination in a spoiler so I don't have to see it anymore.
Last edited by LMD on Sat Aug 21, 2021 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: [mod] Better Fauna [0.1] [better_fauna]

by LMD » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 18:28
freshreplicant wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 15:20
Petz has tons of mobs but I just can't take the style seriously, it feels so silly being mauled to death by a blocky lion.
More realistic models are possible indeed. For example, the alternative to the default kawaii-cute-blocky-dull lion in my private game is this one:

But when I went for more realistic, the people complained, cos lag, and the kids would scared by it.
Lag? Pretty much absolutely wrong. Models don't have any impact on server load. Blocky still is rather low-poly and thus shouldn't have any noticeable impact on FPS (which is not the same as lag) either.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

The horses are pretty neat, probably the best I've seen in Minetest. It took me a while to figure out how to tame it though. I haven't seen wolves yet.

Just two minor things - I noticed some animals, sheep especially spawning in the ground. Some would be sticking out a fair bit and others would be almost totally buried. Also, the cat's meow is kinda strange, it sounds very close up even if they're further away. Sometimes I'd heard a cat, but see none at all. I haven't played with it enough to see if the animals still breed like crazy. It used to a bit intense.

Overall the sheep seem less annoying loud. I also quite like how the animals look at you. Feels very life-like.

100% behind the 'Ambiance' phase coming next. Minetest really needs that kind of stuff.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

that's a nice texture pack shown, would look OK with some slick pants

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

ElCeejo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 19:16
Right now that's more or less the point. Animalia offers an alternative to the bug eyed sheep of petz and the boring wolves of wildlife. I do aim to add some more mobs at some point, but I want to ensure that I have the basics down first. But since I feel this is still valid criticism, I'll start a poll and let the community decide what comes next.
Since your mod focus on livestock and domestic animals I have two suggestions:

Pigeon: Can be carried by the player (probably stored in inventory), and can carry items. After tamed, pigeons will always return to spawn once released making them useful to deliver items in servers.

Falcon/Eagle: Eat pigeons, and if tamed can be used to hunt small mobs like chickens, turkeys and other future mobs.
cdb_894a100ddd76

ElCeejo

Minor improvements and fixes

by ElCeejo » Post

Another small update. Given the nearly year long hiatus from updates and the feedback I got in that time, I'll be trying to keep fixes and minor improvements coming as much as needed. Now unto the changes:

- Stepping function now works faster and more accurately.
- Saddled Horses will now drop their saddle when killed
- Horses no longer fly forward when falling
- All meat items have been added to the 'meat' group
- Cat sounds (except for purring) have been toned down

As always, your feedback is appreciated.
j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 05:42
Since your mod focus on livestock and domestic animals I have two suggestions:

Pigeon: Can be carried by the player (probably stored in inventory), and can carry items. After tamed, pigeons will always return to spawn once released making them useful to deliver items in servers.

Falcon/Eagle: Eat pigeons, and if tamed can be used to hunt small mobs like chickens, turkeys and other future mobs.
I want to avoid confirming animals, but since you bring them up, both of these animals are both on the roster for 2 of the options on the poll, I won't say which ones though.

I'd also like to clarify to everyone that even if the theme that wins this time is not the one you wanted, it will certainly be done in the future.

MisterE

Re: [mod] Animalia [0.2.2] [animalia]

by MisterE » Post

for the next update I voted ambience... The other two overlap with water_life. My opinion is that you should interface and optionally depend on water_life, since it is such a good mod. It already has gators and geckos. So instead of overlapping and trying to compete, simply add your mobs to the water_life predatory food list, and do something that hasnt been done with water_life. I would really like to see a cave crocodile and cave fish... maybe a large boa constrictor and a cave version of that. A bat would be nice... atm the surface is full, the caves are empty.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

sure a fish would be very nice in a cave

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

BTW, thank you for the update, Centeria Survival's players were annoyed at that cat, and we went on a cat hunt... sort of like an easter egg hunt but the goal was to stop that meowing... about as difficult as an easter egg hunt