[Mod] ClimaZ [climaz]

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: ClimateZ [climatez] (v1.23)

by MisterE » Post

in your update pls change the lightning its annoying and needs to be a lot subtler and also dust storm hud lingers after leaving the desert

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 17:26
in your update pls change the lightning its annoying and needs to be a lot subtler and also dust storm hud lingers after leaving the desert
I suggest it be configurable as some people may want it in your face while others want it subtler. Maybe a configuration toggle for "quieter-storms" or something. I have yet to encounter lightning with this mod so I can't really comment.

runs

by runs » Post

v1.24

- Slightly more rain by default.
- Rain now configurable via "rain_particles" and "rain_falling_speed".
- Lightning effect subtled. Added a "lightning_duration" setting.

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 17:26
Yes, cos the climatez is created in a desert, and the climate radius can overpass that biome. There should be a temperature and humidity check. But that would lower the performance. Sandstorms sometimes overtake the desert.

MisterE

Re: ClimateZ [climatez] (v1.24)

by MisterE » Post

yay thank you abt the lightning
and I understand abt the sandstorms... could you do a temp and humid check every 2 minutes? I dont think that would lower the performance significantly. you could put a check_for_desert_every_this_amount_of_time setting

AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

nvm

Nightshdr

by Nightshdr » Post

Would this work with the "mapgen_rivers" ? (also WIP mod) Does it adapt to the relative heights or is manual adjustment required?

runs

by runs » Post

Nightshdr wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:10
Would this work with the "mapgen_rivers" ? (also WIP mod) Does it adapt to the relative heights or is manual adjustment required?
I should. It depends only on temp and humidity.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I think there is a conflict with the Superflat mod from srifqi, when I try using '/climatez start' in a superflat world it says 'invalid command:climatez' but it works normal when I'm not using superflat
cdb_894a100ddd76

runs

by runs » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 01:33
I think there is a conflict with the Superflat mod from srifqi, when I try using '/climatez start' in a superflat world it says 'invalid command:climatez' but it works normal when I'm not using superflat
Superflat maybe has not biomes. Climatez requires biomes.

Grubler
In-game: Grubler

by Grubler » Post

Why is the rain so quiet?

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

runs, I want to use this mod on my minigames server, because its a great weather mod. But ofc, on a minigames server you dont have biomes, or if you do, you dont want the rain to fall according to biome, or at random times. I want to use it to make some arenas always have rain, and some arenas have snow, and some arenas have dust. (I might also like a shooting star weather :P ) anyhow, my request is that you provide api functions to start weather of a certain type for a certain player, and to stop weather for that player. That will also make climatez usable on lua mapgens or version 6 if someone wants to code a mod to start and stop weather using something other than biomes.

So, specifically, I would like:
settings:
enable_weather_by_biome = bool
-- if true, use weather as it is now, if false, dont naturally start weather, but provide the api only

api:
climatez.start_weather(player_name, weather_def)
weather def is a table with:
type = "snow", "rain", "dust"
storm = bool
-- other definition variables to define the weather amount and speed, etc

climatez.stop_weather(player_name)
--stops the current weather if there is any for player_name

Also, it my opinion that light rain should not have lightning... I saw a lightning, but then had to check to make sure that it was raining

runs

by runs » Post

Grubler wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 18:08
Climatez is a lightweight mod for old systems. Climate mods tend to reduce FPS. My mod is intended for ambientation only by default, not a curtain of water.

Anyway, if you want heavy rain, you can obtain it, simply configure it in "climatez.conf".

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 22:03
runs, I want to use this mod on my minigames server, because its a great weather mod. But ofc, on a minigames server you dont have biomes, or if you do, you dont want the rain to fall according to biome, or at random times. I want to use it to make some arenas always have rain, and some arenas have snow, and some arenas have dust. (I might also like a shooting star weather :P ) anyhow, my request is that you provide api functions to start weather of a certain type for a certain player, and to stop weather for that player. That will also make climatez usable on lua mapgens or version 6 if someone wants to code a mod to start and stop weather using something other than biomes.

So, specifically, I would like:
settings:
enable_weather_by_biome = bool
-- if true, use weather as it is now, if false, dont naturally start weather, but provide the api only

api:
climatez.start_weather(player_name, weather_def)
weather def is a table with:
type = "snow", "rain", "dust"
storm = bool
-- other definition variables to define the weather amount and speed, etc

climatez.stop_weather(player_name)
--stops the current weather if there is any for player_name

Also, it my opinion that light rain should not have lightning... I saw a lightning, but then had to check to make sure that it was raining
I will do, a force_weather function.

AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:34
Grubler wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 18:08
Climatez is a lightweight mod for old systems. Climate mods tend to reduce FPS. My mod is intended for ambientation only by default, not a curtain of water.

Anyway, if you want heavy rain, you can obtain it, simply configure it in "climatez.conf".
The mod is great, but, for the sake of completeness, maybe offer config options for heavier operations (off by default)? For example, louder rain, louder thunder, heavier rain, thicker fog (not sure if fog is implemented as a weather in this mod, if not, it might be interesting to have added), etc. Have the default config be lightweight but allow heavier options if wanted.

I'm a big weather nerd so I love being able to have weather in such a game as Minetest.

Grubler
In-game: Grubler

by Grubler » Post

It is virtually silent unless I turn my volume up really loud and I tried to increase the gain. Maybe increasing it further may help. I don't know.

(I may have to get a new rain sound, because this one may just be a little pitter patter here and there. Don't know it is raining unless the thunder happens.)

(Ah, it seems the rain sound will play even when I am under the ground and rain may not even be showing up. Maybe that is why it is quiet. Very well.)

runs

by runs » Post

v1.25

- Rain sound increased.
- New setting: rain_sound_gain
- No rain sound when underground.

MisterE

Re: ClimateZ [climatez] (v1.25)

by MisterE » Post

please excuse the criticism, but the criticism is given with an idea for improvement...
points of discussion :

1) thank you for decreasing the lightning intensity: it is much less annoying now. BUT,
2) its still annoying.
3) im sitting right now in my house with an IRL thunderstorm that is much like the minetest thunderstorms from yoour mod: lighting is occuring in the distance.
4) I noticed that the lightning *doesnt* affect *my* vision at all. Instead, it lights up the sky and the surroundings.

so improvement suggestion:
5) get rid of the hud lightning and replace it with :
6) brighten the skybox image momentarily,
7) and/or, make it day for that player momentarily using player:override_day_night_ratio(ratio or nil)

making it day momentarily will have the added effect of producing shadows if shadows are enabled.

Also, encouragement: this is already the best weather mod :)

runs

Re: ClimaZ [climaz] (z1)

by runs » Post

z1

- Technical name changed to climaz
- Engine redone and improved.
- Now climate can be set on or off via minetest settings.
- Fix: climate now follows accordingly the playerś velocity.

runs

Re: ClimaZ [climaz] (z1)

by runs » Post

z2

- Fix: Crash when sandstorm terminates.

runs

Re: ClimaZ [climaz] (z2)

by runs » Post

z3: (thanks to lhofhansl)

Patch: Add cloud density and adjust shadows based on the density (with patch). This also sets the shadow intensity (for Minetest versions that support it).

snoopy

Re: ClimaZ [climaz] (z3)

by snoopy » Post

Hi,

Looks very interesting and seems to be very promising.

As I am a old man and too lazy to scan alle replies, please allow me to ask:
  1. Is this stable for multi-player MT 5.6.1 server?
  2. What about performance and possible lag?
  3. Is this mod compatible with the @TenPlus1 managed Ethereal NG mod and all of its many biomes?
Any advice welcome before I would consider the possibility to start investigations and run on my own system.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

snoopy wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 22:47
[*] What about performance and possible lag?
Just test short yourself:
* minetest GUI create new game only with MTG and optional climatez

when I do on my rig (4/8 Core, 16 GB RAM, SSD)
* only mtg : do /status every minute for 15 min ?
* mtg with also climaz : and look /status for similar time
big difference ? (at me not) you get a hint

set up a server (empty and/or copy of existing), and let it run empty with climatez for 12 hours with ACTIVE profiler and then '/profiler save' and check the gotten file for the most 5 or 10 top mods
then you see if this mod adds some or major more lag as of it's share in % to all mods
a good base is player_api as that mod is the highest user on my world with ~22.5 % = estimating mod climaz would ADD another 2.5 % by this short result

short test (2 minute) without good preparation tells me about this top 3:

Code: Select all

player_api:                                             |         1 |       138 |        16 |   2.6 |  90.8 |  49.6
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |       138 |        16 |   0.5 |  90.8 |  49.6
  - on_joinplayer[2] ..................................  |        25 |        25 |        25 |   4.4 |   4.4 |   4.4
  - on_joinplayer[1] ..................................  |         1 |         1 |         1 |   0.2 |   0.2 |   0.2

*profiler*:                                             |         2 |       315 |        13 |   1.4 |  97.0 |  41.1
  - Sampler (update stats) ............................  |         1 |       170 |        12 |   1.2 |  95.5 |  38.3
  - Instrumentation overhead ..........................  |         1 |       301 |         1 |   0.2 |  78.2 |   3.4

climaz:                                                 |         0 |        87 |         1 |   0.0 |  77.7 |   4.1
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |        87 |         1 |   0.2 |  77.7 |   4.9
  - on_joinplayer[1] ..................................  |        17 |        17 |        17 |   3.0 |   3.0 |   3.0
what looks good for that short glimpse. (compare to other mods of runs)
So fast estimating would be a 10% of player_api adding for faster compare.
(But as my server is allergic against Z I can't use it)

added after near an hour:

Code: Select all

player_api:                                             |         1 |       140 |        17 |   0.9 |  92.1 |  54.3
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |       140 |        17 |   0.1 |  92.1 |  54.3
  - on_joinplayer[2] ..................................  |        19 |        19 |        19 |   0.8 |   0.8 |   0.8
  - on_joinplayer[1] ..................................  |         1 |         1 |         1 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   0.0

*profiler*:                                             |         1 |       242 |        12 |   0.2 |  93.8 |  37.8
  - Sampler (update stats) ............................  |         1 |       240 |        11 |   0.2 |  93.3 |  34.8
  - Instrumentation overhead ..........................  |         1 |        32 |         1 |   0.4 |  58.2 |   3.6

climaz:                                                 |         0 |        47 |         1 |   0.0 |  65.6 |   4.7
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |        47 |         1 |   0.0 |  65.6 |   5.0
  - on_joinplayer[1] ..................................  |        13 |        13 |        13 |   0.5 |   0.5 |   0.5

fire:                                                   |         0 |       162 |         1 |   0.0 |  83.9 |   2.6
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |       162 |         3 |   0.0 |  83.9 |   4.6

default:                                                |         0 |       210 |         0 |   0.0 |  86.1 |   0.4
  - ABM 'Grass spread' ................................  |         9 |        19 |        13 |  25.0 |  41.3 |  32.9
  - on_joinplayer[1] ..................................  |         7 |         7 |         7 |   0.3 |   0.3 |   0.3
  - ABM 'Grass covered' ...............................  |        52 |       210 |       134 |  57.8 |  86.1 |  76.6
* player_api : 54.3 %
* profiler : 37.8 %
* climaz : 4.7 %
* fire : 2.6 %
* default : 0.4 %
= 99.8 % of server CPU time collected
= 8.65 % of player_api using time to be expected for climaz mod
... things change on server with much player also ...
as player related mods rise (so sure player_api and climaz) and basic mods keep low work

after 3 hours:

* player_api : 53.8 %
* profiler : 38.3 %
* climaz : 4.7 %
so far very sure about this % on an near empty server
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

runs

by runs » Post

z4

Fix: Do not remove player from climate if underwater. Till now the player was removed from climate when he/she underwater, so the sky settings are removed. If return back to the surface the climate restarted again with the ugly cloud transition. Now simply the player does not abandon the climate when underwater, but the effects of the climate are not applied. This implies a smooth transition beetween earth and water.

runs

by runs » Post

snoopy wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 22:47
Hi,

Looks very interesting and seems to be very promising.

As I am a old man and too lazy to scan alle replies, please allow me to ask:
  1. Is this stable for multi-player MT 5.6.1 server?
  2. What about performance and possible lag?
  3. Is this mod compatible with the @TenPlus1 managed Ethereal NG mod and all of its many biomes?
Any advice welcome before I would consider the possibility to start investigations and run on my own system.
1. Yes.
2. Super fast and reliable.
3. Compatible with all, no any dependencies.