[Mod] Wilhelmines Animal World [animalworld]

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

Re: [Mod] Wilhelmines Animal World [animalworld]

by Nordal » Post

Very good mod @Liil! Unfortunately it produces a problem for those, who use spawn files in mobs_monster and mobs_animals.

In init.lua you define local path: [...]/mods/animalworld/
Then you check for a custom spawn file in that path, but there is no spawn file in your mod - nor a spawn file example neither a possible custom spawn file. So local input will never be true and "mobs.custom_spawn_animal" also. So "spawn.lua" in path "/mods/animalworld" will never be loaded.

In the different animal's definition files you check for the according variable in mobs_monster mod, for example in "ant.lua". If someone uses a custom spawn file in mobs_monster, ants will never be spawn. Same happens to every animal of your mod, 'cause you check for a custom spawn file not in animalworld, but in mobs_monster and in mobs_animal.

I use custom spawn files either in mobs_monster and in mobs_animal. As a result, no animal of animalworld gets spawned. As a solution you could remove all the checks for a custom spawn file, or provide an own animalworld spawnfile. But then you have to change the checks in order to check for a spawn file in your own mod.
May you take a look at TenPlus1's mobs_monster mod as an example.

I hope my explanation is right. I like your ideas, and in my opinion the mod is an excellent enhancement for the "wilderness" and liveliness of minetest. I'd be glad, if you did the necessary corrections as soon as possible.
CFS - still widely unknown

Liil

by Liil » Post

I have uploaded a new init.lua on my github: https://github.com/Skandarella/animalworld

I hope this fixes the problem?
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Hm, I try to explain again. I was a bit to fast concerning removing the code in init.lua. You only have to change it right. The point is
you check for a custom spawn file not in animalworld, but in mobs_monster and in mobs_animal.
No matter if yuo want to provide a custom spawn file like TenPlus1 or not or maybe later, you must search in init file for that custom spawn file and then set a mod specific kind of flag on true, if you find one.

This would be the code in init.lua.

Code: Select all

-- Check for custom mob spawn file
local input = io.open(path .. "spawn.lua", "r")
if input then
	mobs.custom_spawn_animalworld = true
	input:close()
	input = nil
end
After the dofile section:

-- Load custom spawning
if mobs.custom_spawn_animalworld then
	dofile(path .. "spawn.lua")
end
In the different animal lua files, for example ant.lua, you have to refer on that kind of flag checking, if a spawn file exists:

if not mobs.custom_spawn_animalworld then
mobs:spawn({
	name = "animalworld:ant",
	nodes = {"default:dirt_with_coniferous_litter"},
	neighbors = {"animalworld:anthill"},
	min_light = 0,
	interval = 30,
	chance = 1, -- 15000
	active_object_count = 7,
	min_height = 0,
	max_height = 50,
        day_toggle = true
})
end
I hope this was better to understand than my first explanation.

Liil

by Liil » Post

I have updated all .lua files, hope it works now? Download is on Github.
I will have to update People, Livingnether and Livingfloatlands too.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Hej, that was fast! I tested it and the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks a lot!

Liil

by Liil » Post

The next Update will focus on the cold regions of the world, there are still empty places that needed to be filled with life:
tundranew.jpg
tundranew.jpg (602.8 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
After the next update I will take a little break from minetest, because I have many other stuff to do in my life and this development takes much time. Covid Lockdown has given me much spare time, but I like to do other things too, not only sitting hours of the day in front of the screen.

This doesn't mean I will not continue the mods, but the development will be slower or with long breaks between.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Liil

by Liil » Post

Update V 1.6 is out now!

The “Cold Climates Update” will add Muskox, Polar Bear, Beluga Whale, Leopard Seal, Stellers Sea Eagle and Polar Foxes to the cold regions of the Minetest Game world.
It also adds tundra vegetation and two animals for other climate zones, monkeys for rainforest and savanna highlands + otters near water lily filled shores.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I'm not quite sure of how but I run into a conflict between animalworld:elephant and dmobs:elephant. Here are the screenshots I took: https://imgur.com/gallery/EzkSKKb

They also have a very weird interaction:

2021-09-11 14:29:02: ACTION[Server]: LuaEntitySAO "animalworld:elephant" at (22,5,3) (id=8, hp=120) punched LuaEntitySAO "dmobs:elephant" at (24,6,1) (id=7, hp=2), damage=20
2021-09-11 14:29:05: ACTION[Server]: LuaEntitySAO "animalworld:elephant" at (24,5,1) (id=8, hp=120) punched LuaEntitySAO "dmobs:elephant" at (26,6,-1) (id=7, hp=2), damage=0 (handled by Lua)
2021-09-11 14:29:10: ACTION[Server]: LuaEntitySAO "animalworld:elephant" at (25,5,-4) (id=8, hp=120) punched LuaEntitySAO "dmobs:elephant" at (25,6,-6) (id=4, hp=22), damage=0 (handled by Lua)
Other than that, I didn't find any particular instance in the debug hinting a error between the two mobs
cdb_894a100ddd76

esel4alles

by esel4alles » Post

Can these animals also be multiplied and kept in farms or should I also put "Mobs Animal" (from TenPlus1) in the mod folder if this aspect is important to me?

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Liil wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 21:06
theGoodNeighbor wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 20:11
Might it be easier to fix the problem with animals disappearing?
I don't know how to fix this, I think it is part of Mobs Redo that mobs disappear after some time.

And even if they wouldn't disappear, the Zookeeper would have another problem: When an exhibit is designed with a specific floor, lets say Savannah Dirt with Savannah Grass and it should be an exhibit for Gnus, Hyenas will spawn in it, because its their nature to spawn on that nodes when my animalworld mod is activated.

But maybe I found a solution: There is a mob-spawner mod out there and I will create an offshoot of my existing animalworld mod, it will be Wilhemines Zooworld, a mod with the same animals, but they wont spawn in Biomes. Only on specific spawn blocks for people who want to build a Zoo.
Perhaps another solution to this problem would be to add something like a "fake grass"-like block, which has a similar texture to natural grass blocks, but mobs cannot naturally spawn on them.

This could allow a natural look in exhibits without the worry of unwanted animals spawning in.

Perhaps these "fake" blocks could be craft able by combining grasses/dirt/gravel/sands/snow/stones/ other natural block materials with a more manufactured block like Obsidian glass for an example?
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

There have been several fake-blocks in quite a few old mods iirc.
I think the idea is interesting but would rather prefer garden-, zoo-, park or cultivated-blocks. Similar to the different kinds of water we have in some mapgens these could be blocks for use of areas under player-management, where spawning of wild mobs is not wanted.

These cultivated player-placed variants should not only look similiar to the mapgen variants but also sport the most properties of their wild counterpart in contrast to the old style fake blocks that only share the texture but may else share no other properties.

They could be usefull in farming, gardening or city decoration. Maybe they could not only stop not-player-placed mobs from spawning but also stop player-placed mobs from despawning. This might be interesting in animal husbandry or mob-breeding scenarios ... or zoos.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

twoelk wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 08:55
There have been several fake-blocks in quite a few old mods iirc.
I think the idea is interesting but would rather prefer garden-, zoo-, park or cultivated-blocks. Similar to the different kinds of water we have in some mapgens these could be blocks for use of areas under player-management, where spawning of wild mobs is not wanted.

These cultivated player-placed variants should not only look similiar to the mapgen variants but also sport the most properties of their wild counterpart in contrast to the old style fake blocks that only share the texture but may else share no other properties.

They could be usefull in farming, gardening or city decoration. Maybe they could not only stop not-player-placed mobs from spawning but also stop player-placed mobs from despawning. This might be interesting in animal husbandry or mob-breeding scenarios ... or zoos.
True, that sounds pretty ideal
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

Sanguivorant

by Sanguivorant » Post

I have been having this glitch with your mods with the textures:

I'm not sure what it is but I just get a blank texture. I downloaded it off of the Minetest client. Do you know what could be causing this?

Liil

by Liil » Post

You can read the solution in the content DB page of my mod: Activate shaders and the problem is gone. This all mustnt have been, if the devs would allow to use modern model formats like in Minecraft. Making models for Minetest is still complicated, since only outdated formats that are not supported by Minecraft model editiors are possible to use. I have to convert everything and this is always complicated.
Since 5.4.1+ there is another problem: the "head" part of the mode, will be blurry. But like i said, this has something to do with Minetest and how it is handling models.

This is very dev unfreindly and maybe my mods will be in the future only for minetest version till 5.4.1. The new versions have nothing special, they also removed cool graphic features from minetest like the effect thats adds little shadows on every texture that make them seem more 3D (Dont know what that was called)

Most people want nice pgrahics and if the devs make it complicated for people to mod and they are not interested in adding graphical features to the game, many people will not show interest in Minetest.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Liil wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 06:44
You can read the solution in the content DB page of my mod: Activate shaders and the problem is gone.
They should be enabled by default if you ask me
Liil wrote:
This all mustnt have been, if the devs would allow to use modern model formats like in Minecraft. Making models for Minetest is still complicated, since only outdated formats that are not supported by Minecraft model editiors are possible to use. I have to convert everything and this is always complicated.

Since 5.4.1+ there is another problem: the "head" part of the mode, will be blurry. But like i said, this has something to do with Minetest and how it is handling models.
These are problems inherent to a small project unfortunately. If we had the numbers Minecraft has we'd have it just as good.
Liil wrote:
This is very dev unfreindly and maybe my mods will be in the future only for minetest version till 5.4.1. The new versions have nothing special
Later versions do have good improvements that you will want at some point, you are just being cynical and jaded, just like the "I'm not upgrading from 0.4.x" people.
Liil wrote:
they also removed cool graphic features from minetest like the effect thats adds little shadows on every texture that make them seem more 3D (Dont know what that was called)
The automatic algorithmic bump mapping looked very ugly and I'm glad it's gone. What should have replaced it is proper bump map support, which would be really nice. So that is somewhat unfortunate. Anyway most people have no real taste in graphics and just think more saturation + contrast = better, which is the only reason I assume people turned the bump mapping on in the first place. Same goes with Minecraft shaders, people just want loads of contrast and shadow and they don't stop to care about quality, consistent, functional art design.
Liil wrote:
Most people want nice pgrahics and if the devs make it complicated for people to mod and they are not interested in adding graphical features to the game, many people will not show interest in Minetest.
They added the shading for entities. They are adding dynamic shadows and experimenting with shaders. They do care about graphics very much, you're just being jaded again.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Sanguivorant

by Sanguivorant » Post

Liil wrote:
You can read the solution in the content DB page of my mod: Activate shaders and the problem is gone.
It is through the settings page right? I have shaders turned on and I still get the graphical error. I'm running Minetest 5.1.1. Maybe my install is wrong? I installed the game through sudo apt-get install minetest.

Liil

by Liil » Post

A new update (V1.7) is available.

New animals have been added, mainly for the new biomes from the naturalbiomes mod:

-Beaver
-Clamydosaurus
-Cockatoo
-Echidna
-Giraffe
-Goose
-Hermitcrab
-Ibex
-Indian Rhino
-Koala
-Marmot
-Mosquito
-Panda
-Parrot
-Stingray
-Wolf
-Zebra

The next thing will be fixing the issues in naturalbiomes mod (Leaf decay) and after that, I will start working on biomes for the prehistoric animals in the livingfloatlands mod. I also plan to add trophies for the new animals, but this will take some time.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Really cool, good to see this mod getting some new life! Thanks Liil :)

Liil

by Liil » Post

This mod and all other of my mods that are containing mobs (animalworld, livingfloatlands, livingnether, marinaramobs, livingcavesmobs, nativevillages, people) have been updated with some basic mobs redo features:

-Herd animals will now spawn in groups.

-Large and heavy animals will no longer knocked back when attacked. Marine animals (Manatee, Beluga Whale) are excluded from this, to make it possible to knock them back into water.

-Animals will now move around objects in their biomes and are less likely to leave their habitat.
Farm Animals will now move around the feeder, straw and reed nodes.

-People/NPCs will now move around their spawn nodes and objects associated with towns and houses. For example villager beds, chests, lamps, torches and many xdecor objects. Now you can design a village or town and let your people roam around. But don’t forget, there is still a chance, that they could leave.

-The catching option (By hand, by net, by lasso) has been updated for all mobs. Most small mobs can now be caught by hand and/or net, larger animals by hand, net or lasso, depending on what I think is realistic (For example, you can still catch a nandu or goat by hand, but not a bear.
Really big animals like large dinosaurs or giraffe can only caught by lasso.

-Most animals and people/NPCs now have an updated list of food they can eat.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

arcticheroh

by arcticheroh » Post

Thank you for the updates! Do you happen to have a mastodon or twitter where you post your updates and ideas for mods?

Liil

by Liil » Post

arcticheroh wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 04:02
Thank you for the updates! Do you happen to have a mastodon or twitter where you post your updates and ideas for mods?
I dont have any social media accounts (I am a bit old maybe lol) I have many ideas for mods and also many things I would like to integrate in the existing mods. There are also things people suggested here, but I dont have enough time to realize all this ideas.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Liil

by Liil » Post

This mod and also the most others of my mods that are containing aggressive mobs have now changed spawn criteria. Aggressive animals only spawn near grass, bushes and tree leaves. They don´t spawn directly on the ground blocks of the biomes. This was done to make it possible to clear an area from vegetation and building a base, without having issues with predatory animals.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

arcticheroh

by arcticheroh » Post

Liil wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 20:51
arcticheroh wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 04:02
I dont have any social media accounts (I am a bit old maybe lol) I have many ideas for mods and also many things I would like to integrate in the existing mods. There are also things people suggested here, but I dont have enough time to realize all this ideas.
I appreciate your time to respond. Are we able to suggest mobs at all like a gorilla or orangutan that could be found in Jungle Biomes? It's okay if not, I just thought I'd say it when I could.

Liil

by Liil » Post

arcticheroh wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 02:34
I appreciate your time to respond. Are we able to suggest mobs at all like a gorilla or orangutan that could be found in Jungle Biomes? It's okay if not, I just thought I'd say it when I could.
It would be possible. The question is where. Gorillas are really big and need much space to move. The MTG jungle is very dense and has not much space to move around. They could spawn at livingjungle: https://content.minetest.net/packages/L ... ingjungle/ The Orang Utan on the opposite, is smaller and could spawn at the MTG jungle.

I think Organg Utan would be the better choice.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

arcticheroh

by arcticheroh » Post

Liil wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 08:22
arcticheroh wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 02:34
It would be possible. The question is where. Gorillas are really big and need much space to move. The MTG jungle is very dense and has not much space to move around. They could spawn at livingjungle: https://content.minetest.net/packages/L ... ingjungle/ The Orang Utan on the opposite, is smaller and could spawn at the MTG jungle.

I think Organg Utan would be the better choice.
Awesome :) would love to see them inside of Minetest. Such an underrated animal that would make so much more of a difference ingame.