[Mod] Wilhelmines People [people]

Liil

[Mod] Wilhelmines People [people]

by Liil » Post

BETA V 0.5
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (548.4 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
Based on Mobs Redo.
Adds the possibility to build living Villages in your Minetest Game world.
Trade items for random stuff from your villagers, recruit mounts and warriors.

Available content:

* Spawning plunderers near cobblestone + sandstone ruins
* Villagers spawning near beds and roaming around
* Blacksmith spawning at anvil, trades default tools and weapons for gold ingots
* Farmer spawning at feeder, trades dogs, goats, dogfood, and mounts for gold ingots
* Doctor spawning at first aid node, trades bandages, hemp and golden carrots for gold lumps
* Miner spawning at mineshaft, trades default lumps for farming dishes
* Instructor spawning at weaponstand, trades warriors for emblems of triumph
* Warrior defends your village with melee + range attacks

Guide:

First you should reach a certain level of strength in Minetest, best above stone tech level, if you are playing Single Player or without NPCs to fight for you. I recommend to use 3D Armor.
Brace yourself for your first contact with the plunderers, normally they come in a pack of melee and range and you can only beat one of them, if you manage to separate a plunderer from the group.
Plunderers can be found in ruins, near Booty Nodes.

If you are lucky you will be victorious and gain your first item for attracting people. This could be an Anvil, Weaponstand, Feeder, Villager Bed, Mineshaft or First Aid Node.

If you haven't build a building yet, now is the time to come, because you need a wooden floor to place your gathered items on. All 5 default wood types (apple, acacia, pine, aspen, jungle) are suitable for a building floor and will spawn different looking people.
After your first citizen has spawned, he or she is trading with you, but wont stay near your building. You first have to “tame” him or her, every profession likes and needs different things:

Blacksmith: Farming Dishes
Farmer: Coal Lumps
Doctor: Mint Tea
Miner: Hemp Oil + Hemp Leaves
Instructor: Gold Ingot
Warrior: Farming Dishes

After you satisfied your new resident, you can tell him or her to stay at place. If an enemy will raid your town and kill someone, you will find a wooden cross. You can burn it in the furnace, or bury the dead, but beware: Do not forget to bury the citizens in soil which provides the corpse the chance to rot, otherwise, a surprise will occur at night...

To be successful you need to mine a lot of gold and use the trading system wisely, because its based on chance.

There is some more stuff in this mod, but this will not be revealed here, the basics are enough to play successful, the rest should be discovered by yourself.

Github: https://github.com/Skandarella/people

Content DB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/Liil/people/
Last edited by Liil on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

Re: [Mod] Wilhelmines People [people]

by daret » Post

Liil

by Liil » Post

I've looked at the mod and I'm rather skeptical. The mod seems to have already a support for another mod providing NPCs. There are beds with peoples names and workplaces for specific professions of this mod it seems.

Personally I think the villages are too cheaty for Survival Gameplay, too much items to find in the villages, too much food on the field.

When people here really wish support for this mod I will add it, but why don't use the matching NPC mod?
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

daret

by daret » Post

Hi, thanx for looking at it.

Problem with matching mode it, that I could not find anything suitable.
It works with
https://github.com/hkzorman/advanced_npc
+
https://github.com/hkzorman/mg_villages_npc

but the mods are in very bad shape and need some patching to get them work at all and still it is not working correctly.
It's a little bit over-complicated.

I like design of your mobs much more.
I can imagine them to be there, selling stuff, maybe protecting their houses, or village :)

Liil

by Liil » Post

Before I made the People mod, I thought about making a village mod in style of MC. But every time I played MC I found it boring that the villages are there, but they don't have any interesting function exept of Illager raids and diamond trading.

I made the people mod because I always wanted the possibility to build my own village. Yes there are mods in MC where you can build you own village, but they are buggy, complicated and with fixed types of buildings.

Now that the possibility to build your own village with People is here, there is space for more.
If I manage to learn Handle Schematics I can spawn my own structures in Minetest and this would also make it possible for me to create spawning villages.

I imagine an extension of the People mod: “Native Villages” with new trading Items that are not provided by the existing NPCs in People.
There are friendly tribes who trade with you and aggressive tribes, who don't want foreigners in their territory and attack. Every tribe spawns in a specific biome, there will be a fisher tribe who lives in lake dwellings on the coast, jungle tribes, savannah tribes, highland tribes, pinewood tribes and arctic tribes.

There is also a slave trader tribe in the desert, who sells special profession NPCs.
This is a little inspired by Conan Exiles.

There will be also a new use for the wooden crosses from dead people: The Witch Doctor!

But this all will take much time and I have some other things on my list:

-Furniture and Trophy made from animals for Animal World and Living Floatlands
-A Secret Boss in the Floatlands that has to be activated via crafted materials
-A Zoo mod with all the animals from existing mods
-If I manage to learn spawn structures: Nether forests and other strange vegetation down there
-Dungeons Mod
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

daret

by daret » Post

Lill, you are going to be the best mod dev.

daret

by daret » Post

Some inspiration for villages: viewtopic.php?p=366911#p366911

Liil

by Liil » Post

I'm far away from creating a whole village but today I managed to spawn my first very simple schematic/building on the coast:
first try.jpg
first try.jpg (472.5 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
This can be a blueprint for the lake dwellings.

I set the Native Villages Mod to my first priority, but it will take some time to be completed.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Liil

by Liil » Post

Little Update about the development process: Today i completed the first village structures that I hope will be all included in the first release, but there is a lot of work, because I have to create a lot of NPCs, animals and decorations.
villagespromo2.jpg
villagespromo2.jpg (935.26 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Liil

by Liil » Post

I'm dealing with massive problems and now I understand why it is so hard to create a village mod for this game.
The Problem is there is no way to define a radius of blocks to spawn a building without getting stuck into a hill, tree and other objects.

With flags = "force_placement", you can prevent the building to sink into other blocks, but it will always create ugly vertical cliffs on one side of the building, because you have to fill the empty space with ground nodes, otherwise the building would float above the ground.

With “flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z", it is not desirable, because the buildings always sinking into things

The larger the schematic, the more it is to cause ugly spawning. For small objects like trees the implied system is good, but for bigger structures undesirable.
When a big schematic replaces a part of a mountain, the mountain is removed, but the shadow is still present, also not very pretty.

The only buildings who spawn most without ugly consequences are the lake dwellings, because they always spawn in the same height and in the water there is not much to stand in the way of them. But sometimes they spawn in other structures too.
undesirable.jpg
undesirable.jpg (385.53 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
The Settlements mod viewtopic.php?p=366911#p366911 uses a complex programmed system to spawn villages, nothing that i am able to reproduce.

I will continue my Native Villages mod, but i will not use the buildings seen in my preview pic here, there will be allot smaller huts, distributed above the landscape. No bigger, connected settlements, but small colonies of huts and other village buildings.

The question is: Is there a final solution for this problem? Not even MC has resolved the problem till today, and there is always some weird spawning of village structures along the map even in this cash-cow ;)
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Suggestion: Around the village, level the ground.

Code: Select all

+========================+
==========================
=====                =====
+========================+

"=" is sloping ground, where you programmatically slope the ground from whatever its elevation is to flat.
Whitespace is flat ground, and in the center, is the village.

Check for extreme changes in elevation between 2 opposite corners: if there is a mountain or a sinkhole there, you choose to not place the village.

Liil

by Liil » Post

Thanks for response!
The Problem is: I need a code that defines: A Schematic with the size of 16x16 will only be placed in the middle on a 16x16 straight surface. I don't want them to spawn on a random block of defined height, which then can create the spawn in a mountain, on a cliff, and so on.

My example code:

minetest.register_decoration({
name = "nativevillages:icehouse1",
deco_type = "schematic",
place_on = {"default:snowblock", "default:ice"},
place_offset_y = -29,
sidelen = 16,
fill_ratio = 0.0001,
biomes = {"icesheet", "icesheet_ocean"},
y_max = 3.5,
y_min = 1.0,
schematic = minetest.get_modpath("nativevillages").."/schematics/icehouse1_30_90.mts",
flags = "force_placement",
rotation = "random",
})

There is a code for simple decorations to define number of blocks need to be near for spawning:

spawn_by = " ",
num_spawn_by =

but this doesent work with shematics and does not include height.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Try *not* registering a decoration, but instead, developing your own code to place the schematics. Use:

Minetest.register_on_generated()
https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_on_generated
viewtopic.php?t=1344

**here you will check if the generated area is within the area that you might place a village house... if so, then continue checks to see if it is an appropriate place, if not, then break/return early to avoid lag

and

minetest.place_schematic()

https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.place_schematic

Liil

by Liil » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 21:13
Minetest.register_on_generated()
https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_on_generated
viewtopic.php?t=1344
Creating flat areas of blocks in the world is not my intention.
I want the schematics to spawn on existing areas of certain size in the landscape and not create flat spaces to place them on.
I don't find any example for this function that provides spawning in biomes, height or seed. Simply replacing “minetest.register_decoration” with “minetest.place_schematic” doesn't work.

“minetest.register_decoration” provides many options, I cannot find anything about similar for “minetest.place_schematic” Incomplete Wiki?

Otherwise I have to accept this limitation and continue.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

minetest.place_schematic is not a drop-in replacement for registering a decoration. A decoration registration automatically places the decorations on the map.

Place_schematic on the other hand takes a position to place the schematic at. You could think of it like place_node, except that you are placing the schematic instead. You will have to place the place_schematic inside another function that gets called when the map is loaded. That is what register_on_generated is for.

daret

by daret » Post

May be you could try something different.

Like support for The Settlements mod. Use the already generated villages by this mod and add your villagers to them.

Liil

by Liil » Post

Nah, development won't be just stopped because of some small issues. Villagers are ready now for some structures(Jungle, Grassland, Ice Sheet) and I will continue the mod and finish it with all planned features.

The new NPCs of this mod are designed to work as foreign villagers, they don't provide the strong benefits of the People Mod NPCs, but new features that fit better for foreign villagers. They provide new animals, trading options, items, that are not available in People Mod.
The mod also makes jungle and desert Biomes more dangerous places, because of aggressive tribes.
nvillages1.jpg
nvillages1.jpg (923.57 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Lucien
In-game: Lucien

by Lucien » Post

Hi,

I had a quick read through the board (very quick so if this was already suggested please ignore). I wanted some villagers also just to give some atmosphere to the game and the mods I tested either didn't work for me at the time, or were quite complicated to set up. If you are still having issues with village placement I found Basic Houses (Sokomine) worked well at generating a variety of houses with the occasional chest for repairs/expansion. It may be worth incorporating or checking the code to see how it works. It does occasionally spawn over some open spaces but in my experience has been minimal (or repairable if you want to code that too :) ).

I'll have a look at your mod when the kids are allowed back in. They are currently on restrictions.

blocker

by blocker » Post

Hi,
Do you know the Mod Mobs Humans [mobs_humans] from Hamlet?
viewtopic.php?t=20183
I have installed this mod on my server (Raspi 4, MT 5.3), but its abandoned. So I looked for a new, better one and found yours. The NPCs in the Mobs Humans mod move faster and more fluidly than in yours. Have a look at them, maybe you can use some of the code.

Liil

by Liil » Post

Lucien wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 20:04
It may be worth incorporating or checking the code to see how it works. It does occasionally spawn over some open spaces but in my experience has been minimal (or repairable if you want to code that too :) ).

Same problem like with other existing codes, no definition for biomes. It only places buildings on flat places, but that wouldn't fit with specific biome tribes.

I also watched at “detect_flat_land_fast” and “place_buildings” from Handle Schematics mod, on which Basic_houses is dependant. There is also no code that defines spawning in a specific biome.

I'm not a programmer at all and this Minetest mods where my first thing I've ever done with code in my whole life so I don't have the ability to create own codes or understanding complex codes.

That is the reason I will never make a Mobkit Version of my animal mods. Mods Redo is everything I can understand. All my mods are licensed in a way that everybody who can do it better than me, edit them, modify them. So if somebody can do a better code, to do it, feel free to release! ;)

It would be nice if the Devs of Minetest would expand the “minetest.register_decoration” function to something like this:

place_on_flat_ground = true
ground_space = X = 0 Y = 0
blocker wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06
Hi,
Do you know the Mod Mobs Humans [mobs_humans] from Hamlet?
viewtopic.php?t=20183
I have installed this mod on my server (Raspi 4, MT 5.3), but its abandoned. So I looked for a new, better one and found yours. The NPCs in the Mobs Humans mod move faster and more fluidly than in yours. Have a look at them, maybe you can use some of the code.
An outdated mod based on Mobs Redo. People is about building your own village, not custom NPCs to spawn like in Mobs Human. Read the Guide for more information. They have to be slow, because they should not leave the town so fast. If your first NPC in people mod spawns at lets say at the anvil, it will not follow you or rest, you first have to pay him/her. After that you can say “stay here”. Same goes if you want warriors for support, you first have to find a weapon stand, pay an instructor, buy a warrior, pay him. If I would make them fast like the NPCs in the outdated mod (Mobs Human), they would run away before you can really interact with them.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

How to tame the villagers? If I want to take them by lasso and put them into their houses or just take them out to let them walk around a message is shown saying "not tamed". Could you define an item - maybe some food - and install the same procedure like with the other figures (e.g.miners etc.), please?
CFS - still widely unknown

Liil

by Liil » Post

They can be tamed and will follow farming dishes (Turkish delight, donut, garlic bread, spaghetti and so on)
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

Liil wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 04:14
They can be tamed and will follow farming dishes (Turkish delight, donut, garlic bread, spaghetti and so on)
Thank you! It would be good to supplement this in the guide.
CFS - still widely unknown

superfloh
GitHub: superfloh247

by superfloh » Post

Hi, what damages can the plunderers (or other NPCs) do in "children mode"?
creative_mode = true
enable_damage = false
enable_pvp = false
enable_tnt = true
disable_fire = false
Are they able to set fire or damage buildings?

Liil

by Liil » Post

I don't know what the “Children Mode” is.

They cannot set things on fire, the only mobs who can set fire are the ones who can cause explosions like the “Secret Boss“of Living Nether.

I don't do development at the moment, but I have many new ideas for mods and one thing I will do in the future is a mod called “Purges”
This mod will be activated by a simple timer/chance and will spawn different groups of Mobs that will attack you and your buildings and cause them to burn. There will be also a Boss in some purge waves.

But you inspired me to think about a new profession for people: The Constructor. And image what this people could sell: Catapults! This machines would be an interesting, but potentially self damaging weapon against the purges.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp