superfloh wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:13
My children mode is this:
creative_mode = true
enable_damage = false
enable_pvp = false
enable_tnt = true
disable_fire = false
This is based on "mobs" mode, so for "children mod" you can set "only_peaceful_mobs".
- monsters should no longer spawn in world

superfloh
GitHub: superfloh247

Re: [Mod] Wilhelmines People [people]

by superfloh » Post

thanks, will give it a try

Lucien
In-game: Lucien

by Lucien » Post

Hi,

I'm not a full coder myself but have played around. I think the biome type should be declared and you can get a mod that lists the nearby biome (apologies can't recall the name and haven't really used it). I would suggest binding certain types of building to the biome.

IF Biome_grassland THEN try spawning [these] buildings
IF Biome_desert THEN try spawning [these] building

I'm not sure what restrictions you would have to add so you don't get infinite buildings looped in one area and not trying another. Maybe the reverse, along the lines of

Create x_number_of_towns THEN refer to biome list (?) and Create buildings

This would also filter the end of the program to specifics. You should be able to test this by running the program as is but making it declare only one biome and checking that biome for generation. If this works then you can copy the code ready for the next biome and update the buildings and materials. You may be able to start tinkering to add anvils, etc.

It may not be perfect and you will be able to create something to work from.

Liil

by Liil » Post

The code I use in Native Villages is already biome specific, but height dependent:

minetest.register_decoration({
name = "nativevillages:junglehouse2",
deco_type = "schematic",
place_on = {"default:dirt_with_rainforest_litter"},
place_offset_y = -29,
sidelen = 16,
fill_ratio = 0.00005,
biomes = {"rainforest"},
y_max = 20.5,
y_min = 10.5,
schematic = minetest.get_modpath("nativevillages").."/schematics/cannibalhouse2_30_90.mts",
flags = "force_placement",
rotation = "random",
})

But there is another option: Creating a specific village biome. Buildings would only spawn in this specific, small biome and not above the landscape in a specific height.

But I don't do development for Minetest at the moment. When i will return, the first thing I will do is creating new biomes for Animalworld: Outback, Swamp, Wet Savanna, Palm Beach, Bamboo Forest, Alpine Forest.

Living Floatlands could also need an Update and I think adding complete new primal themed biomes would be a great addition, instead of just adding plants.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Liil,

My own efforts have never been "officially" posted, but are found within my GAL project, in my mobs_npc version.

I used code from one of the previous villagers mod, combined with code from snowwalkers mob mod to get villagers that are uniquely named, dressed, and job-assigned with relevant tools, according to 5 predefined climate types.

I haven't worked on this in a while, but there is some good code in there if you are interested. While some of it might be tied to my own GAL project, the code should be easily refactored for your own mod.

Here is a screenshot of random villagers that I manually spawned within a village.

Shad

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Liil wrote: I've looked at the mod and I'm rather skeptical. The mod seems to have already a support for another mod providing NPCs.
No, not a particular mod as such - more NPC mods in general. I try to write my mods so that other mods have plenty of options to plug into my mods and access their functions. There's seldom anything declared as local.
Liil wrote: There are beds with peoples names and workplaces for specific professions of this mod it seems.
That's just a data structure and was an attempt to help NPC mods a bit. mg_villages knows which building it just placed, where the beds are, how many of them exist, where doors are - and that way it can create a data structure for the (fictive) family living there.
Liil wrote: Personally I think the villages are too cheaty for Survival Gameplay, too much items to find in the villages, too much food on the field.
Populated villages might have villagers that would chase players who steal their items away...or at least complain. In general, even in survival, after a time you have enough ressources. In the end it's personal preference. You can also change what is placed into the chests and protect the fields. The main idea was to let the player help harvest the city fields and give what he gets to the villagers.
daret wrote: but the mods are in very bad shape and need some patching to get them work at all and still it is not working correctly.
It's a little bit over-complicated.
I'm afraid that's mostly my fault. mg_villages are of a halfway realistic size for a village, but...that means there may be a couple of hundred people living inside a village. Now have that many mobs running around...and..worse...the village is too large. Not all of it will be loaded all the time, so...NPC will not be where they are supposed to be.
Liil wrote: But every time I played MC I found it boring that the villages are there, but they don't have any interesting function exept of Illager raids and diamond trading.
MC isn't bad in that regard. Breeding villagers and keeping them alive may be a real challenge. Ok, it's not the villages as such...but babysitting villagers is one of the rare points were MC is currently better than MT IMHO.
Liil wrote: Little Update about the development process: Today i completed the first village structures that I hope will be all included in the first release, but there is a lot of work, because I have to create a lot of NPCs, animals and decorations.
Manually built or with an algorithm? If you can do that manually you're a very good builder (looks really nice). If you can do that with an algorithm, you'd have won the prize of village creation :-)

The advantage of these your villages is IMHO that they're pretty small and consist of only few houses (in reality it'd probably be just one farm). Placing those could be done. But you also have paths between your houses...that is more difficult.

And I definitely like the hedges and walls. They're realistic - villages had such defenses - and look great because they help to make the village look as a unit.
Liil wrote: The Problem is there is no way to define a radius of blocks to spawn a building without getting stuck into a hill, tree and other objects.
Welcome to the world of village creation :-)
Liil wrote: With flags = "force_placement",
No. That's just for decoration. It really doesn't work for villages. There'd be no structure at all. There'd be just random huts somewhere, looking out-of-place half of the time. And replacements don't work that way either.
Liil wrote: The question is: Is there a final solution for this problem? Not even MC has resolved the problem till today, and there is always some weird spawning of village structures along the map even in this cash-cow ;)
The "solution" taken in diffrent ways by MC and by my own mod is: Ignore terrain height. mg_villages flattens the area and places the village. That is how many villages look like were I live - in not very deep valleys, sourrounded by gentle hills. MC seems to just create its village structure and drop it on the terrain no matter what's there. That's good if you want a satirical news show to visit your town and wonder why that road over there goes to a cliff - then continues 20 m higher, with a hut and an irritated inhabitant next to it - just to continue at ground height again after that cliff. Maybe you can explain it away with magic ("a soccerer went mad"), but with the amount of oddities...and even then, it's such a violation of common sense that it destroys the whole village for me.
Liil wrote: I want the schematics to spawn on existing areas of certain size in the landscape and not create flat spaces to place them on.
That is very difficult if you want it to look nice. You as a human can accomplish that. But keep in mind that many players on a server can't manage that level of building skill.
Lucien wrote: If you are still having issues with village placement I found Basic Houses (Sokomine) worked well at generating a variety of houses with the occasional chest for repairs/expansion. It may be worth incorporating or checking the code to see how it works. It does occasionally spawn over some open spaces but in my experience has been minimal (or repairable if you want to code that too :) ).
Basic_houses finds flat places to spawn houses on, yes. The problem with that mod is that...there is no village-context. There's just individual houses placed where it's possible. They sometimes *form* villages, but - that lies in the eye of the human observer. We as humans love patterns, and so we see some of them as settlements...while the game doesn't realy know much about it.
Liil wrote: I also watched at “detect_flat_land_fast” and “place_buildings” from Handle Schematics mod, on which Basic_houses is dependant. There is also no code that defines spawning in a specific biome.
That's right. Those are the functions for using the heightmap of mapgen to spawn the buildings. Finding out which biome a possible spawn place belongs to is not that difficult. Of course it's a place, and biomes are defined per position. So you could either check the center or the edges or do a more complex statistic, depending on what you want.
Liil wrote: I'm not a programmer at all and this Minetest mods where my first thing I've ever done with code in my whole life so I don't have the ability to create own codes or understanding complex codes.
You've already identified the right functions in my mod. That's not bad at all! And creating an NPC mod isn't trivial either. So just go on. Take the necessary time. And keep in mind that this is a really complex problem.
Liil wrote: People is about building your own village, not custom NPCs to spawn like in Mobs Human.
Hmm. My citybuilder mod is aiming at a similar direction - to some degree at least. It's far from finished and I have no idea when I may have time to do so. However, citybuilder is based on existing structures. The player just decides what gets built where - and then waits forever because there are no NPC to help built his village...
Liil wrote: Same goes if you want warriors for support, you first have to find a weapon stand, pay an instructor, buy a warrior, pay him.
That's nice!
Liil wrote: If I would make them fast like the NPCs in the outdated mod (Mobs Human), they would run away before you can really interact with them.
*g* Just imagining: NPC sees a player approaching - NPC runs away screaming :)
Liil wrote: This mod will be activated by a simple timer/chance and will spawn different groups of Mobs that will attack you and your buildings and cause them to burn.
That is not so great. Imagine a player having built on a great house for a long time...and along comes an NPC and destroys all. Fire is even more problematic as it can go wild pretty soon. When the entire forrest is on fire, good luck...come back with a better PC or after disabling the fire mod...
Liil wrote: But there is another option: Creating a specific village biome.
Yes, I've considered that as well. In a way mg_villages does that already. The code that decides where a village will be placed and how far it will extend is noise-based. Kind of an overlay...
ShadMOrdre wrote: used code from one of the previous villagers mod, combined with code from snowwalkers mob mod to get villagers that are uniquely named, dressed, and job-assigned with relevant tools, according to 5 predefined climate types.
That's definitely nice, yes. It would be great if the diffrent mob mods could combine some of their great features...instead of everyone starting from scratch each time again.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Calicelechat
GitHub: Calicelechat
IRC: Calice
In-game: Calice

by Calicelechat » Post

Hello, do you know if there is already a wiki on this mod or not? If not I will create it and I will be happy to pass it on to you.

Calicelechat

by Calicelechat » Post

@Liil

Calicelechat