[Modpack] Zero [1.0.0] [zero]

BigBear
GitHub: gramsey
IRC: BigBear
In-game: BigBear

[Modpack] Zero [1.0.0] [zero]

by BigBear » Post

Zero is a modpack that provides all the features of Minetest Game, but broken up into individual stand-alone mods. These mods are grouped into a modpack for convenience for download.
Can be downloaded from https://gitlab.com/m4895/zero

If you wish to use with existing mods that depend on 'default' you can try the zero_compatibility modpack.
https://github.com/gramsey/zero_compatiblity
Which provides the shims and alias required to 'fake' minetest game default etc.

If you wish to convert an existing mods that depend on 'default' there is a script under the 'vanilla' game that might help. https://gitlab.com/m4895/vanilla/-/blob ... to_zero.sh

For Players and World/Game builders
  1. Choose what biomes you want with a few clicks
  2. Exclude/include any ores or other features to work better with whatever additional mods you add
  3. Test/Play/Try things out - e.g. enable only the Desert Biome to create a world with only desert.
For coding/mod writers
  1. Base code is completely re-written for re-useability, many hard coded functions made generic and can be used from your code
  2. default implementation is favored over rigid API interfaces - this allows easy 'one liners' to add features, while also providing the full flexibility to override any property when it is required.
  3. KISS principle - code is simple an easy to understand, modular and re-usable, a lot of effort has gone into removing redundancy and duplicated effort.
  4. Broken down logically into a flat architecture of obvious and understandable mods and files.
  5. Coupling is massively reduced. Mods depend only what is needed, not the kitchen sink
Quick Start - for a 'minetest game'-like game
  1. Create a new *Void game
  2. Enable zero modpack against the game
  3. Disable any individual mods in the modpack you don't want or need
  4. Play Game
Current Status
This version has been play tested is reasonably stable.
Functionality is completed (and frozen for now), testing is ongoing. Bug reports welcome.

* Void - this is an bare-bones "empty" game by linuxdirk. Zero does not require or depend on Void, but it is the recommended way to get started.
Last edited by BigBear on Sun Feb 20, 2022 13:18, edited 9 times in total.

BigBear

Re: [Modpack] Zero [0.2.0] [zero]

by BigBear » Post

Added zero_compability mod to provide backward compability to minetest game mods
With light testing seems to work with many mods even complicated ones (mesecons, pipeworks etc), but more rigorous testing is still in progress.
zero modpack itself is now more-or-less complete (just a few tidy up things, documentation and testing items).

Josselin2
GitHub: axcore
In-game: Josselin

by Josselin2 » Post

Second link is broken.

BigBear

by BigBear » Post

Josselin2 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 19:56
Second link is broken.
thanks - fixed now.

BigBear

Re: [Modpack] Zero [0.3.0] [zero]

by BigBear » Post

Version 0.3.0 is released - it is now complete and reasonably stable with a lot of bugs fixed.

(*Note - work on compatibility with third party MTG based mods is ongoing.)

BigBear

Re: [Modpack] Zero [1.0.0] [zero]

by BigBear » Post

Updated to v1.0.0 few bugs fixed, tested and working against minetest 5.5
Created 'Vanilla' game that uses zero and integrates with many other mods (mobs, mescons etc).

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

How do I use the script to convert a mod to zero?
I tried running it with 3d_armor but it still prompt a message: default dependency is missing.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Emojiminetest
GitHub: Emojigit

by Emojiminetest » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 15:35
How do I use the script to convert a mod to zero?
I tried running it with 3d_armor but it still prompt a message: default dependency is missing.
After running the script, you should remove "default" from the list of dependencies from mod.conf, and add the zero mods that are really required by the mod to the list.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

What does the community think: Is it zero's time to shine now that MTG is no longer shipped? Is anyone planning to use it to move away from MTG? If so, what base game will you use?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I would love to use it actually. I'm working on a game of my own and Zero has been great to free my game from the default blob however I have a few issues with it.

The first issue I have is zero expect other mods (which depends from default) to run it's functions instead. Which is great moving forward but bad for compatibility, it would be great if zero had a 'default mod' of it's own to work as a layer for backwards compatibility from mods that need default, even if it's just a massive list in the style:

Code: Select all

default.function_1         = zr_somemod.function_1
default.function_N         = zr_somemod.function_N
mobs_redo did something similar to be used in place of the old mobs so I don't see why zero couldn't do the same. In my game I am doing something similar, I made a 'default_compat' to split default apart (using zero btw) without losing support to mods that current need default (So far I've only messed with the sound functions but it was enough that most mods run out of the box).

Anyways, I believe zero is following the correct path moving forwards and really hope other games use this modpack, or at least the mods from this pack relevant to their games. Cheers
cdb_894a100ddd76