[Mod] Area Containers [1.7.0] [area_containers]

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [0.7.0] [area_containers]

by c56 » Post

feature idea for when you have time and are bored and want to work on this add techage / techpak support
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

by jwmhjwmh » Post

c56 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 02:07
feature idea for when you have time and are bored and want to work on this add techage / techpak support
I'd be glad to add support once I figure out their API.

c56

by c56 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 16:49
c56 wrote:
I'd be glad to add support once I figure out their API.
thx also i had some weird bug where it would tell me plz be patient teleporting in a few seconds after i went into a box it teleportet me out after a short while and then it teleports you around
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

c56 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 00:55
thx also i had some weird bug where it would tell me plz be patient teleporting in a few seconds after i went into a box it teleportet me out after a short while and then it teleports you around
I'm not sure what you mean. The mod never tells the user they will be teleported in a few seconds. And were did it teleport you to after teleporting you out?

c56

by c56 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01
c56 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. The mod never tells the user they will be teleported in a few seconds. And were did it teleport you to after teleporting you out?
it teleportet me randomly and it was telling me it wanted to find a location
i am not sure why , as for how i triggered the area_container_node (that node you use to get in the container ) i first leftklicked on it and then rightklicked

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

c56 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 01:14
jwmhjwmh wrote:
c56 wrote:
i am not sure why , as for how i triggered the area_container_node (that node you use to get in the container ) i first leftklicked on it and then rightklicked
What version of Minetest did you use?

c56

by c56 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16
c56 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 01:14
jwmhjwmh wrote:

What version of Minetest did you use?
i used the developement version 5.50-dev-40bee27e5

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Nice mod!

(I recommend using luacheck to easily avoid things like accidently writing globals : ).)
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 16:58
Nice mod!

(I recommend using luacheck to easily avoid things like accidently writing globals : ).)
Thanks! I took your advice.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: Techpack/Techage

by jwmhjwmh » Post

c56 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able add techpack support right now. It seems like tubelib's function get_dest_node assumes that paramtype2 = "facedir": link to the code. This function is used by tubelib.push_items, which I would need to use for my implementation, but area_containers uses param2 for its own purpose already.

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 01:57
[This function is used by tubelib.push_items, which I would need to use for my implementation, but area_containers uses param2 for its own purpose already.
This is only relevant if you want to implement a pusher. Is this your intention?
I see another issue. Tubelib stores its data not in the nodes or as node metadata. It is stored in memory/as mod storage. That means you can't simply serialize tubelib node data into a container and deserialize it somewhere else again.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

joe7575 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:46
jwmhjwmh wrote:
[This function is used by tubelib.push_items, which I would need to use for my implementation, but area_containers uses param2 for its own purpose already.
This is only relevant if you want to implement a pusher. Is this your intention?
I see another issue. Tubelib stores its data not in the nodes or as node metadata. It is stored in memory/as mod storage. That means you can't simply serialize tubelib node data into a container and deserialize it somewhere else again.
When an item moves from the container node to the inside, the container node would probably have to receive the item then call tubelib.push_items with the position of an inside port, right?

As for the Tubelib data, I assume this would be an issue when the node moves? If so, maybe you could give tubelib an optional dependency on mesecons_mvps, then make use of mesecon.register_on_mvps_move. That would handle most node movement.

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:21
When an item moves from the container node to the inside, the container node would probably have to receive the item then call tubelib.push_items with the position of an inside port, right?
I have no idea what your containers are used for, but tubelib.push_items together with tubelib.pull_items are used, to move items from one inventory into another inventory or chest like node:

Code: Select all

[C]-----[>]-----[C]
[C] is a chest, [>] is the pushing node and "--" are tube connections.
tubelib.push_items determines the destination pos by means of the tube line in between.

If your container node would a chest, it would receive the items via the callback on_push_item
see example: https://github.com/joe7575/techpack/blo ... le.lua#L80
Inside that function you can do whatever you want, e.g. move the item to any position of inside ports.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [0.8.0] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 0.8.0 mainly adds locking. I have put some information about this in the description. If you want to lock the containers which existed before this update, you need the protection_bypass privilege. Locking these unowned containers will also claim them for you.

I also removed the automatic light update when you change the wall_light setting. If you change it after placing a container, you'll now have to fix that container's lighting yourself.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [0.8.3] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 0.8.3 lets you use the same keys to unlock containers even if you uninstall and reinstall the lock inbetween. The key revocation feature just seemed annoying to me.

c56

by c56 » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
c56 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able add techpack support right now. It seems like tubelib's function get_dest_node assumes that paramtype2 = "facedir": link to the code. This function is used by tubelib.push_items, which I would need to use for my implementation, but area_containers uses param2 for its own purpose already.
ok (idk if this is helpfull or not but if you want my idea here it is anyway ) i have a idea if it would'nt be to difficult you could add a check which transforms pipes that are next to the area container to a sort of "fake pipe node" that looks like a pipe drobs a pipe functions like a pipe the only things is it puts the things that it recives

(my english is bad sometimes) in a shared inventory which the area container output port could pump out
(only implement if you want i dont want to force you )

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

c56 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 01:07
jwmhjwmh wrote:
c56 wrote:
ok (idk if this is helpfull or not but if you want my idea here it is anyway ) i have a idea if it would'nt be to difficult you could add a check which transforms pipes that are next to the area container to a sort of "fake pipe node" that looks like a pipe drobs a pipe functions like a pipe the only things is it puts the things that it recives

(my english is bad sometimes) in a shared inventory which the area container output port could pump out
(only implement if you want i dont want to force you )
I could do that, but I'd rather not reimplement any nodes from tubelib. If I do so, they might become out-of-date when tubelib changes. It would be difficult to maintain.

Maybe I should submit a patch to tubelib/techpack to make the function work with nodes where paramtype2 is not "facedir". It seems like that would be fairly easy.

Keeping an intermediate inventory in the container node as you suggested might also be a good idea.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

An upcoming change to the mesecons behavior

by jwmhjwmh » Post

I've found a bug in the way area_containers uses mesecons. This bug cannot be fixed while keeping backward compatibility. In fixing it, I will have to make the area container only receptive to wires directly adjacent, like how the LuaController works. Since I'm changing stuff anyway, I could also add mesecons ports on the top and bottom of the container. However, doing so would require 48 more nodes and would break backward compatibility even further. I'll put up a poll in case anyone wants to weigh in on the extra ports. Whether or not anyone votes, I'll probably move forward in a few days.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: An upcoming change to the mesecons behavior

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Actually, scratch that. The issue is with pushing/pulling containers, so I'm just going to make them immovable by pistons. The bug might still be theoretically there, but changing the mesecons interface would result in something a lot less intuitive/convenient. My change won't break backwards compatibility unless you need to push containers. If you do, sorry for your loss.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.0.0-beta] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

This recent update is the beta release of 1.0.0. I will release it for real as 1.0.0 if no bugs come up in a week or so. If you find bugs, please report them here: https://github.com/TurkeyMcMac/area_containers/issues

The changes from 0.8.5 are as follows:
  • Containers are now immovable for technical reasons.
  • I did a big refactor of the code and the structure of the project.
  • The exit and digiline nodes are now illuminated.
  • The mod now works with more Lua mapgens, including mapgen_rivers.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.0.0-beta3] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.0.0-beta3 makes the mod work better when the player has a different collisionbox, such as in the game OpenBlox. This release won't reset the timer to the actual 1.0.0 release.

(1.0.0-beta2 just contained some trivial changes not worth mentioning. Even the changes of this release are barely worth mentioning.)

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.0.0] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

I decided to release version 1.0.0 now. It contains the changes from all the beta versions.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.1.0] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.1.0 just adds some trivial features for MineClone 2. The container block now has sounds and no longer breaks instantly.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.2.0] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.2.0 is another unimportant release that just changes the key recipe to make more sense (the active part of the key should be at the end.)

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Area Containers [1.3.0] [area_containers]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.3.0 adds translations in French, German, Spanish, and Welsh. I didn't do these translations myself, so I can't attest to their accuracy. The Welsh translation doesn't actually work since Minetest itself doesn't support Welsh.