[Mod] Large Slugs [1.2.0] [large_slugs]

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

[Mod] Large Slugs [1.2.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Description

This is adds large slugs of several species, implemented as different nodes. They very slowly wander around, sticking to surfaces, dying and asexually reproducing to balance their population. This behavior can be tweaked or disabled if it becomes detrimental to performance. For more information, including crafting recipes, see the GitHub README.

Licenses

Code: LGPLv3+
Media: CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dependencies

Mod dependencies: None (but mod doesn't do much without either default or modpack zero)
Optional mod dependencies: default, ethereal, zr_coal, zr_dirt, zr_iron, zr_jungle, zr_mese, zr_pine, zr_stone

Download

ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/j ... arge_slugs
Github: https://github.com/TurkeyMcMac/large_slugs
Zip: https://github.com/TurkeyMcMac/large_sl ... s/main.zip
Last edited by jwmhjwmh on Sat Jan 07, 2023 17:54, edited 8 times in total.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [0.2.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 0.2.0 decreases the spawn frequency of grass slugs, pine slugs, and cave slugs. This is a slightly breaking change since it changes mapgen.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [0.3.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 0.3.0 makes it so that you need to cook edible slugs before eating them. However, cooked slugs are more nutritious than raw slugs were previously.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [1.0.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.0.0 includes several changes:
  • Population dynamics have changed. Slugs now check a smaller area, giving birth when no slugs are nearby and dying when there are too many.
  • Slug nodes appear smaller (50% of the previous visual scale.) I don't want slugs to visually dominate the environment.
  • Mese slugs can now move on mese blocks.
  • The color of mese slugs has changed slightly to more closely match that of other mese items.
  • Slugs never act twice in one step.
  • Slug movement is less in-sync.
  • The time taken by the ABM no longer reflects the actual time taken updating slugs.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [1.1.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.1.0 adds compatibility with Zero.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [1.1.1] [large_slugs]

by Sokomine » Post

Somehow cute. Is there a server that has them roaming around? Having some slower live make the world more alive would be good I think.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 01:42
Somehow cute. Is there a server that has them roaming around? Having some slower live make the world more alive would be good I think.
Thanks! I don't know of any servers that use this mod. A search of the forums doesn't show anything.

ChedderMonger
In-game: Cheddar

by ChedderMonger » Post

Very Inspiring: I think I'm saying this sometime in the late future: You've allowed me to think creatively in a more reliable and beginner friendly approach to developing AI. Roughly I have a year and bit of programing experience with Lua and yet even though I only have been programing in Lua 1/5 apx of the time I've been in Java, I learned way more
in Lua. I struggle with Minetest's Lua specific dll and could use more bright creative thinkers like you to help me on simpler terms.

This gave me the idea to create a mob similar to how entities move in dwarf fortress with sprite based animation.

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

ChedderMonger wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 18:22
Very Inspiring: I think I'm saying this sometime in the late future: You've allowed me to think creatively in a more reliable and beginner friendly approach to developing AI. Roughly I have a year and bit of programing experience with Lua and yet even though I only have been programing in Lua 1/5 apx of the time I've been in Java, I learned way more
in Lua. I struggle with Minetest's Lua specific dll and could use more bright creative thinkers like you to help me on simpler terms.

This gave me the idea to create a mob similar to how entities move in dwarf fortress with sprite based animation.
Thank you, I'm glad my mod was helpful. I wish you luck in your endeavor!

jwmhjwmh
Developer

Re: [Mod] Large Slugs [1.2.0] [large_slugs]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Version 1.2.0 makes slugs buildable_to (you can replace them with nodes you place.)

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I like this mod, do you think it would be possible to add a predator for the slug, like an ant or spider too? Perhaps a more tame version from ecobots mod?
cdb_894a100ddd76

jwmhjwmh
Developer

by jwmhjwmh » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 00:53
I like this mod, do you think it would be possible to add a predator for the slug, like an ant or spider too? Perhaps a more tame version from ecobots mod?
That would be doable I think. I would want such a predator to move around slowly like the slugs, so as not to be very computationally expensive. Spiders sound like a good idea. Maybe I will extract the common code from the slugs mod and make a modpack with various creepy crawlies. No promises though.