[mod] gal (Geographic Abstraction Layer)

ShadMOrdre

[mod] gal (Geographic Abstraction Layer)

by ShadMOrdre » Post

This has gone through several versions and names. It is now together once again.

Currently contains all or most of the following mods, with additions.

default,farming,buckets,stairs,doors,walls,flowers,vessels,ethereal,darkage,moreblocks,rocks,real_minerals,more_plants,plant_lib,trees,more_trees,australia,aotearoa,valleys_c,caverealms,nsspf,xocean,cool_trees, and lots of custom content.

node_io,fluid_lib,lib_shapes functionality.

TODO: Complete the refactorization of biomes from aforementioned mods, into ecosystems. Further expansion of decorations and ores.

This mod clears registered biomes and decorations. Working on getting settings available in the menu.

LICENSE: LGPLv2.1

DOWNLOAD: gal (Geographic Abstraction Layer)

DEPENDENCIES: None
(These exist mainly to overcome those mods also clearing biomes and decos. Add ethereal, aotearoa, australia as needed)
OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES: default

Josselin2
GitHub: axcore
In-game: Josselin

Re: [mod] gal (Geographic Abstraction Layer)

by Josselin2 » Post

Looks great, but unfortunately your init.lua file seems to have escaped and is, even now, making dash for the border with a suitcase full of money.

(So you may have to upload a new one.)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Josselin2,

Thank you for pointing this out. init.lua wasn't the only thing missing.

All files are now currently on github.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Shad

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

I tried the new code, it causes Minetest to crash with a segfault immediately after loading. (Linux Mint, tested 5.1.1 and 5.4.1)

The debug file contains a million image warnings/errors, then ends with

2021-10-18 06:25:46: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game.
2021-10-18 06:25:46: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Josselin2,

I've updated gal to set mapgen flags if using v7. There will most likely be issues with v5, and possibly all other engine mapgens. Not sure exactly what the cause is, but as I test the other mapgens, I'm sure I'll find the culprit.

I've not used builtin mapgens for some time now.

I've coded this against MTv5.4.1, on a Windows10 PC. I don't see any errors in debug coming from gal when I load plain MTG with gal mod.

Gal is a large mod, at 27MB. It usually runs better when running on a standalone headless server, even if the server terminal is a background process running on the same machine as the client. But I've also had this running on older laptops with 2-4GB ram.

Shad

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I did test it against various mapgens: v7, valleys, carpathian and flat, all of which crash as described. The singlenode mapgen doesn't crash, though.

Diagnosing segfaults is a little outside my skillset. I tried commenting out lines in init.lua to find which file was the culprit, but that just created new errors.

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13
Josselin2,
I've updated gal to set mapgen flags if using v7. There will most likely be issues with v5, and possibly all other engine mapgens. Not sure exactly what the cause is, but as I test the other mapgens, I'm sure I'll find the culprit.
Ok, I believe I have found the cause of the crash.

tl;dr You must use nil, not empty strings, in calls to minetest.register_biome().

I started by commenting out lines in init.lua, and found that commenting out the call to gal_geology_biomes.lua resolved the crash.

Then I tested the .csv file for biomes, starting by commenting out every biome, then uncommenting them one by one, until I got a crash.

The first crash was on a v7 world, seed test, nothing but minetest-game and gal enabled. and all biomes disabled except hot_humid_ocean.

After some more fiddling, I noticed gal_geology_biomes.lua contains the comment "transform empty strings into nil", but no code to actually do that. So I added code to do that, and the crash disappeared.

Then I used a fresh, original copy of gal, and modified just that file, to convert empty strings to nil. Again, no crash.

This is the actual code I added, obviously you can write something more elegant:

Code: Select all

for i, biome in ipairs(gal.lib.csv.read("|", gal.path .. "/" .. gal.biome_data_file .. ".csv")) do

--#Name|Dust|NodeTop|NodeTopDepth|Filler|FillerDepth|Stone|WaterTop|WaterTopDepth|Water|River water|RiverBed|RiverBedDepth|CaveLiquid|DungeonNode|DungeonAlt|DungeonStair|Y-min|Y-max|Temperature|Humidity|MaxPos|MinPos|VerticalBlend
	local a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x = unpack(biome)
	--minetest.log(a .. ", " .. b .. ", " .. c .. ", " .. d .. ", " .. e .. ", " .. f .. ", " .. g .. ", " .. h .. ", " .. i .. ", " .. j .. ", " .. k .. ", " .. l)

-- Parse node names: transform empty strings into nil and separate node and count
--	b = read_node_str(b)
--	local c1, c2 = read_node_str(c)
--	local d1, d2 = read_node_str(d)
--	e = read_node_str(e)
--	local f1, f2 = read_node_str(f)
--	g = read_node_str(g)
--	h = read_node_str(h)

if a == "" then a = nil end
    if b == "" then b = nil end
    if c == "" then c = nil end
    if d == "" then d = nil end
    if e == "" then e = nil end
    if f == "" then f = nil end
    if g == "" then g = nil end
    if h == "" then h = nil end
    if i == "" then i = nil end
    if j == "" then j = nil end
    if k == "" then k = nil end
    if l == "" then l = nil end
    if m == "" then m = nil end
    if n == "" then n = nil end
    if o == "" then o = nil end
    if p == "" then p = nil end
    if q == "" then q = nil end
    if r == "" then r = nil end
    if s == "" then s = nil end
    if t == "" then t = nil end
    if u == "" then u = nil end
    if v == "" then v = nil end
    if w == "" then w = nil end
    if x == "" then x = nil end

minetest.register_biome({
I believe this issue goes back some years, but without testing my earliest copies of lib_materials I can't be sure of that.

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

Duplicate post please ignore

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Josselin2,

Again, thanks for finding the issue.

I have corrected the biome defs, and have tested against all builtin mapgens. I also enabled ecosystems for the builtin mapgens, which were missing due to a recent update in how they were generated.

Shad

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

I just tested the latest update, seems to be working fine.

How do ecosystems differ from biomes (in GAL) ?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

New update includes:
Ecosystems for builtin mapgens.
Better defined ecosystems.
Settings work as expected.

@Josselin2,

I wanted to think this through before responding.

Previously, ecosystems were a simple ore definition in the top layer of the biome. This looked nice, was easy to implement, and had been how I've done "ecosystems" up to now. The major drawbacks to this method were the numerous ore registrations, and that this only affected the top layer of the biome. Dirt fillers and stone types were ignored. This method is still in place, as this is the only way to place an "ecosystem" in the built in mapgens, but is otherwise supplanted by the new method, defined below.

Taking a cue from valleys mapgen, I've found and implemented a new way of providing ecosystems, that allows for far more customization. With this method, there are 16 possible ecosystems per biome. Each ecosystem allows for a custom top, fill, stone, water, and river nodes. More can be added.

A short answer to "What is a 'gal' ecosystem?" is the above. For the builtin mapgens, (v6, v7, ...), defining a "dirt/grass" node, different from the biome top node, as an ore, upon which decorations can be more easily customized. If used with mg_earth, the biome top node, fill node, stone node, water and river nodes and others can be set to be different from the biome.

Why?

Biomes, as defined by most mods, are rather monotonous. With only a few default biomes defined, maps get redundant and boring rather quickly. Even with mods, the biomes defined are monotonous, and many times, use biomes heat/humid values that don't correspond. Not to mention snow biomes next to deserts and rainforests.

Please leave comments, suggestions, or issues here on the forum.

Shad

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

After years of playing voxel games, i'm confident this is the most detailed and complete geology and flora I've ever found. Thank you for this mod, and mg_earth.
Also... happy Halloween!

A question: what do the "colored grass" settings affect? I didn't find a difference when using them or not.

I went bug-hunting while exploring this new lush landscape, I hope it'll be of use!
graphics: Nvidia
minetest version: 5.5.0-dev
game: MTG

These are minor I believe:
  1. swamp water ponds lack water in huge chunks, see screenshot;
  2. in gal mod, the settingtype gal.mg_world_scale should be a float (?), same in mg_earth.mg_world_scale;
  3. tree or bush nodes get replaced by the leaves of other tree/bush types, when generated/growing closeby;
  4. gal:plant_reedmace middle and spikes/tops get uprooted when the node is updated, which can cause small freezes if the area they cover is large enough;
  5. gal:plant_reedmace_water is indestructible, and causes drops to be duped when dug;
  6. can't plant seeds on soils or wet soils.
These may be trivial or suggestions:
  1. cutting gal:plant_papyrus doesn't harvest the nodes above the one being dug;
  2. gal:plant_reedmace has disconnected node hitboxes, unlike papyrus;
  3. gal:ground_grass flickers, and can't be interacted with;
  4. decide whether to use gal:litter_rock/s type of node, or gal:litter_small_rock/s, as they have clashing artstyles;
  5. a setting to disable some of the biomes could be added;
  6. swamp water ponds have suspended ground in them (intended?);
  7. gal:tree_coral_... generate under swamp water (intended?).
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (181.42 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Last edited by Eris on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
Jump in the caac

Eris

by Eris » Post

oops
Jump in the caac

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Eris,

Thank you for this list.

Off the top, the "colored_grass_nodes" setting is a relic. I use greyscale grass textures that are colorized on definition according to a palette that is defined in code. At one point, I colorized the default nodes, which led to odd colorization of the terrain.

In regards to the several issues you've found in the swamps, these are in some ways interrelated. This is on my to do list, along with all the other ecosystems. In the course of tracking down some of these issues yesterday, however, I did get waterlillies and some of the reedmace to generate, and stick around, but there are still issues here. The floating blocks in the swamp water are related to the schems that are used in some places to place the waterlillies and reedmace plants. Papyrus, being also another plant that works around the waterlevel and thus a schematic in some places, should get resolved with the above, and slight modifications to its definition, I guess.

As for the settings_type issue, I also thought that a float would be appropriate in some places.. I also need to look into how to best implement a list from the settings, for some other settings that I'd like to expose in a sane manner. Again, on my to do list.

The flickering grass is due to a "too thin" node box. Easily fixed. The coral in swamp water is also an easy fix. I'll get these into the next update.

In regards to art styles, I am open for suggestions. On this, here are my thoughts.

I spent a long time cobbling together a system, the original GAL project, which is a game, and now more appropriately named. As such, tools and other items became mods in their own right, with functionality included there, where I though it most appropriate to include. Now, I want to reintegrate the tools. This will make some of my original idea still possible, but there was a gameplay element that vastly differed from what is normal and expected of MC/MTG style games.

I'm open for suggestions on both art style, purpose of said nodes, and the inclusion of the tools one would expect to be able to craft from all the available elements. The idea was to use the sticks and rocks one could find lying around to craft the most basic, rudimentary tools, "caveman" style. Stacking sticks, punching the stones with a stick, or another stone, would be the very first "crafting". IMHO, the craft grid breaks immersion. The world should be interactive as much as possible, and moving crafting into the world seems a first step. Nodecore does something very similar while it's execution does differ.

Again, thanks for the list, and please keep posting any others you encounter. This project has a lot of little issues that just need attention. All assistance is welcome.

Shad

Eris

by Eris » Post

Shad,

I'm glad you are already tracking most issues. Attached is the .csv file I edited to allow all stone generated to drop cobble or itself.
ShadMOrdre wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 20:43
I spent a long time cobbling together a system, the original GAL project, which is a game, and now more appropriately named. As such, tools and other items became mods in their own right, with functionality included there, where I though it most appropriate to include. Now, I want to reintegrate the tools. This will make some of my original idea still possible, but there was a gameplay element that vastly differed from what is normal and expected of MC/MTG style games.
I see, so this mod will end up in GAL_game when more polished?
Yeah, that was just my suggestion, I was compelled to comment on style since I'm more of a 16x16 px player.
The idea was to use the sticks and rocks one could find lying around to craft the most basic, rudimentary tools, "caveman" style. Stacking sticks, punching the stones with a stick, or another stone, would be the very first "crafting". IMHO, the craft grid breaks immersion. The world should be interactive as much as possible, and moving crafting into the world seems a first step. Nodecore does something very similar while it's execution does differ.
Agreed. All for it here.
Again, thanks for the list, and please keep posting any others you encounter. This project has a lot of little issues that just need attention. All assistance is welcome.
You're welcome, I'll post my findings; heh, I couldn't stop playing this even if I wanted to anyway, it's very feature-packed.
Attachments
gal geology nodes.zip
(15.63 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Jump in the caac

Eris

by Eris » Post

hmmm, I guess the three major things I found are that:
  • leaves don't drop saplings at all (I tried adding saplings in the .csv file leaves drops, but they seem to drop them every time like that);
  • tree trunks don't have a crafting recipe to obtain planks, which I guess makes sense since you're moving away from using a crafting formspec).
  • ores generate only in layers made out of gal:stone (again, I don't know how to add more entries.), and these are the stones wherein they should generate, I think, for your convenience.
    Spoiler
    stone
    stone_andesite
    stone_basalt_01
    stone_basalt_02
    stone_basalt_03
    stone_bluestone
    stone_brown
    stone_desert
    stone_diorite
    stone_gabbro
    stone_gneiss_01
    stone_gneiss_02
    stone_granite_01
    stone_granite_02
    stone_granite_black
    stone_granite_brown
    stone_granite_brown_02
    stone_granite_pink
    stone_greenstone
    stone_limestone_01
    stone_mudstone
    stone_sand
    stone_sandstone
    stone_sandstone_desert
    stone_sandstone_desert_stone
    stone_sandstone_silver
    stone_sandstone_white
A good point is that I'm starting to struggle to find anymore sizeable issues, so I'll just see about the smaller ones soon.

Maybe ore types, amounts and veins could differ between stone layers/ types?

P.S: I found there is a mese block ore defined, I'll try and hunt that down!
Jump in the caac

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

I played with mg_earth, gal and Witt2 on singlenode mapgen under minetest_game
Witt was quite helpful to know what stuff was without F5. What follows is mostly a stream of consciousness, which I hope you find helpful.

I used the seed mg_earth_gal; anyway even if this does not work the numeric seed is included along with all F5 info in the screenshots below.

I believe I first spawned in the middle of the ocean. It would be much better to
place the player spawn on land. It is a bit odd to not have an air meter - but
well, there are no stats at all it seems so quite forgivable.

Break from tradition by not being able to punch trees - but it was easy enough
to work out that you have to pick up stick and stone litter to make your first
tools.

Settingtypes - shorter names for inside the menu please for those who don't have
show technical names turned on

Scattered rocks should be biome-appropriate instead of randomly ordinary, desert
or sandstone.

Can't make planks out of trunks. Tested: Bamboo tropical, royal palm, fountain
palm, ebony. Plans to make planks?

Game crashes when starting with unified_inventory enabled (using latest
revision 8c84751).

I can eat the pineapples but there's no hunger.

I found a "Plant - Banana 1" which I can't eat. Is this an early stage of
growth?

'Giant Fern2 Leaves End's are much harder to break than 'Giant Fern2 Leaves'. I
love the creatie use of raillike (I assume, I haven't read the code but I played
around with the leaves I cut down - although there's no junction).

Another break from tradition that grass types drop themselves rather than the
base soil type. Transporting grass is an unlockable game mechanic inside
ethereal, which you need to acquire the crystal shovel for. I probably favour
that way more but being able to move grass around easily may have reasoning
behind it.

Found a colliding jungle tree and kapok tree (screenshot) - deliberate?

Small Rocks can be turned into cobblestone but Litter - Rock and Litter - Rocks
can't. There seem to be fewer of the latter two around which makes it maybe more
forgivable, but the distinction seems arbitrary.

I collected 9 each of Litter - Stick and Litter - Sticks but of course 4 or 9
won't make a plank block. I saw Default Planks in the menu but it had no recipe,
only usages? Apparently I can also get planks from bush stems, but even if I had
walked past some bushes at this point, I hadn't thought to gather the stems.

Also thinking about regrowing plants - only jungle tree saplings showed up in
the recipe menu. The fountain palm leaves I had collected earlier wouldn't drop
any saplings, so I assume they have none. Are there plans for saplings and leaf
decay?

I continued wandering northeast for some time but the climate was consistently
warm/hot and humid. A bit dissapointing as I wanted to see some variety. Maybe
that's the nature of large biomes though.
I see you have rubber trees - will these be compatible with technic?

Desert Stone "gal:stone_desert" drops 6 lib_materials:stone_desert_cobble, which
is an unknown item.

Cocoa tree has rubber leaves?

Good use of viscosity on the murkier water types.

Peat with rainforest litter had the following drops:
1 lib_materials:dirt_peat and
3000 lib_materials:metal_iron_lump
which are both
unknown items for me. At this point I looked back at the original post and it
says that lib_materials and lib_ecology were supposed to be included inside of
GAL. Hmm maybe I was meant to install this as a game not a mod? But it has a
mod.conf not a game.conf, so even by copying it to ~/.minetest/worlds it didn't
show up.

I reached 2000,2000 without much change. Bad luck heading into the itnerior of
a continent?

At this point I decided to break out into creative and fly around. I kept
hitting a few variations with different plants, soils etc., but mostly I wanted
to see dry+cold biomes which I wasn't getting. The effect of slowly changing
biomes is good though, and the created variety is much better than minetest game
or ethereal, which have sharply defined biomes with only a few species.

More species does create more clutter in inventories though, I wonder if that
can be managed somehow?

Found a moriche palm and giant fern2 that were grown 1 node apart. Probably does
seem that some trees just overlap accidentally (screenshot).

More coconut palms and rubber trees - I like the clever reuse of existing
species from other mods.

None of the cocoa tree have cocoa fruits on them. Planned?

Also come to think of it, I didn't get the smooth slopes

Came across coolabah trees and some other australian natives I can't recall. So
plants from the australia mod are included

Blue sod looks awfully weird - but I'm not a soil expert.

It gets awfully dark in the shade of a particularly dense stand of River Red Gum
(screenshot).

Breaking here so I can fit more screenshots into the next post.
Attachments
screenshot_20211119_160741_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_160741_web.jpeg (343.03 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
screenshot_20211119_154644_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_154644_web.jpeg (481.72 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
screenshot_20211119_145823.png
screenshot_20211119_145823.png (905.54 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Found an arid creek. It had an odd mix of green and blue water. It
also seemed to flow downhill in two directions from a high point, or rather it
seemed to match the height of the terrain as it undulated up and down, rather
than consistently being able to flow one way., or rather it seemed to match the
height of the terrain as it undulated up and down, rather than consistently
being able to flow one way., or rather it seemed to match the height of the
terrain as it undulated up and down, rather than consistently being able to flow
one way., or rather it seemed to match the height of the terrain as it undulated
up and down, rather than consistently being able to flow one way., or rather it
seemed to match the height of the terrain as it undulated up and down, rather
than consistently being able to flow one way. It then abruptly ended at one end.
Rather should it have formed a lake at the low point? I'm not much of a
hydrologist.

After a short break the creek resumed, as if the trees had blocked it.

gal:dirt_peat had the same drop issue as peat with rainforest litter. Not sure
if it effects other types of peat nodes.

The creek eventually came to a diagonally cut end. It had run a very long way in
a straight line, kind of seemed to ignore slope (screenshot).

Image.

Looking back at the screenshot makes me realise how little it seems to make sense that there is a larger area with brown rainforest litter with vibrant green plants on top. It really clashes, and I doubt if you can find examples from real life (again, not a geographer, wouldn't really know).

I had seen humid and dry hot climates but not yet cool ones. I had reached the
ocean so I decided to try another landmass. On the way I appreciated the variety
of corals and seaweeds. The trip was quite long, and it struck me along the way
that there's no light on the bottom of the seafloor, yet it's still obvious
where the seafloor is. In real life, the light rays peeter out before reaching
the bottom, and all we can see from the surface is that the water is opaque.
Perhaps the rendering engine can be modified so that many semitransparent fluid
nodes converge to opaque after a certain depth? The problem is mostly that we
see air air at the edge of the horizon behind the water. So maybe a hack is to
change what renders behind the water when there's no loaded node to be an opaque
water texture to avoid this harsh effect.

I assume the use of light emission on the coral is that they are actually
visible in an otherwise dark environment? Still it would look odd if
transplanted to land. Oh, and they all turn to skeleton, losing the beauty if
taken from the natural environment. There's something deep there :)

I reached land and it was still hot and humid. I was still only at x -2600 z
330, so I'm beginning to wonder if I'm on the equator and latitude has a factor
on temperature. I resolved to head into the far south in search of cold.

Boy was that a long journey, even in fast-flight mode. At -19450ish I finally hit ice in
the water. It was an ice shelf going all the way down to -170 and it seemed to
extend quit far south, east and west. It went until -20350. I thought it was a
bit odd how even the smallest fragments of ice went all the way down, instead of
forming icebergs.

I continued south over more water. An ice shelf appeared again and -21k and
continued all the way to the world border.

I added the digtron mode and constructed a 7x7 core sample digtron to go down
from just near the south pole. The results were pretty boring as it turnedout,
since every layer had a 100% component:
0 >= x >= -378: gal:ice
x == -379: gal:sand_silver
-380 >= x >= -383: gal:stone_sandstone_silver
-384 >= x >= -500: gal:stone_basalt_01

At that point I realised the digtron inventories had all filled up with yet
another buggy drop. The drop table for Basalt 01 was two unknown items:
"lib_materials:stone_basalt_01_cobble 1" i.e. supposed to drop 1 cobble
"lib_materials:stone_basalt_01_cobble,lib_materials:stone_basalt_01 20"
which looks like a nasty typo of two itemstrings and the integer 20 maybe
unrelated but instead interpreted as quantity.

I then tried feeding the world through minetest-mapper. After running dumpnodes
and the gencolors.py script (which ran really fast, I thought it used to run
super slow, but then, I used to run Windows), the result was dissapointing
because many of the grass colours turned out grey. I assume they use ^colorize,
and IIRC, gencolors strips filters like that out.

Nevertheless, here is the map such as it comes out of minetestmapper, also with a 2k area around (0,0) emerged by lib_emerge in addition to my obvious travel path. You can obviously make out the creek/river I followed, as well as the large gap between landmasses. Obviously I omitted the trip to the south edge because that was so much bigger than the explored area.

Final impressions? Promising, but still clearly early in development. I really do like the variety created, it really doesn't go stale quickly unlike minetest_game or even ethereal. Some bugs need ironing out, particularly drops. The rivers need the opposite, they seem too straight; add some crinkles. There's really not much of a gameplay here, though I'll admit I looked through the catalogue to see a large variety of stones and ores without actually going underground (apart from in the boring ice). Still, without a coal (or any visible ore) source really, I guess it doesn't seem practical to go mining. Similarly with the lack of saplings and planks.

Lastly, sorry for the wonky formatting, I wrote it up in vim with textwidth at 80 and the forums preserve the newlines.
Attachments
screenshot_20211119_165413_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_165413_web.jpeg (153 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
mg_earth_gal_mapfinal.png
mg_earth_gal_mapfinal.png (925.22 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
screenshot_20211119_161833_web.jpeg
screenshot_20211119_161833_web.jpeg (320.18 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Massive update.

Changes include:

Better ecosystem generation.

All tree and plant decorations generate on map.

New coral and cactus schematics.

Addressing many of the issues Blockhead described above. Still more to do in this area.

Compatible with MTG, Ethereal, Australia, Aotearoa, NaturalBiomes, Valleys_c, Underch, Caverealms, and others.
Attachments
screenshot_20220831_034507.jpg
screenshot_20220831_034507.jpg (435.87 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
screenshot_20220830_102122.jpg
screenshot_20220830_102122.jpg (566.76 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

Eris

by Eris » Post

If I thought the ecosystems were a bit too scattered about on the surface layer, now this project is so much more realistic-looking. No more sploshes of color on the map!

Incredible, Shad.
Jump in the caac

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Minor bug fix.

Corrected ice depth in cold oceans, as per @Blockhead.

Shad

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/.minetest/mods/gal/init.lua:
/home/.minetest/mods/gal/gal_geology_ecosystems.lua:2004: attempt to index local 'top1' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	/home/.minetest/mods/gal/gal_geology_ecosystems.lua:2004: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'dofile'
	/home/.minetest/mods/gal/init.lua:193: in main chunk
Check debug.txt for details.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Josselin2,

I just downloaded this and mg_earth, via the in game installer, on v5.7. It works with the settings as installed. Have you changed anything?

Which version of MT are you running? What are gal settings for clearing biomes and enabling biomes? Is this a new / exisiting world? What other mods are you running? Any of the mods in the optional_depends of this mod?

If you are using an older version of gal, can you back that up somewhere, and reinstall gal into a clean folder from the in game installer?

Shad

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

Tested on Minetest 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 on Linux. A new world with no mods besides those in minetest-game and gal itself, downloaded directly from https://github.com/ShadMOrdre/gal this morning. I get the same error messages on three different computers, and on every mapgen.

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

There are empty lines at the bottom of gal_ecosystems_new.csv that gal.lib.csv.read() should ignore, but does not.

local biome, altitude, t_t, top1, top2, t_f, fill1, fill2, fill3, t_s, stone1, stone2, stone3, t_d, dungeon1, dungeon2, dungeon3, t_da, dungeon_alt1, dungeon_alt2, dungeon_alt3 = unpack(ecosystem)
Thus biome is set to an empty string, and all the other values are set to nil.

Thus the code crashes when you try to do top1:split() because top1 is nil.