[Mod] LWComponents [0.1.34] [lwcomponents]

loosewheel
GitHub: loosewheel
In-game: loosewheel

[Mod] LWComponents [0.1.34] [lwcomponents]

by loosewheel » Post

Various components for mesecons and digilines.

Version

Minetest Version
This mod was developed on version 5.4.0

Dependencies

Optional Dependencies
mesecons
digilines
unifieddyes
intllib
hopper
digistuff
pipeworks
lwwires

Licence
  • Code licence: LGPL 2.1
  • Media licence: CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Sounds licence: CC BY 4.0
Features
  • Dropper, drops an item on command.
  • Dispenser, dispenses (with velocity) an item on command.
  • Collector, picks up dropped items in adjacent block, with optional filtering.
  • Detector, detects items or entities within a given radius.
  • Siren, plays a sound repeatedly while active.
  • Puncher, punches players or entities within a given reach.
  • Player button, sends digilines message with player name.
  • Breaker, digs the nodes directly in front.
  • Deployer, places the nodes directly in front.
  • Destroyer, automated trash.
  • Hologram, projects a hologram above the hologram node.
  • Fan, blows any entity, player or drop in front of the fan.
  • Conduit, connected in a circuit to move items.
  • Cannon, shoots an item on command with directional aiming (plus 3 shells).
  • Double (optionally single) reach pistons and sticky pistons.
  • Digilines Switch, digilines controlled mesecons power.
  • Movefloor, similar to vertical mesecons movestone.
  • Camera, takes a representative image.
  • Storage, indexed storage units.
  • Crafter, crafts by recipe or by item, and can pull from storage units.
  • Hoppers, that are more compatible with this mod.
  • Force Field Generator, repels players and mobs within a radius.
  • Mesecons Through Wire, transmits through 1 to 2 solid blocks.
  • Solid color conductor blocks, same as Solid Color Block but also mesecons and digilines conductor.
  • Touchscreen, full block variant of digistuff:touchscreen.
  • Panel, full block variant of digistuff:panel.
To spawn entities from dispensers and cannons include the lwcomponents_spawners mod.
Digilines Switch

Moving Floor

Solid Color Conductor

Solid Color Horizontal Conductor

Dropper

Dropper (Locked)

Dispenser

Dispenser (Locked)

Collector

Collector (Locked)

Detector

Detector (Locked)

Siren

Siren (Locked)

Puncher

Puncher (Locked)

Player Button

Breaker

Breaker (Locked)

Deployer

Deployer (Locked)

Destroyer

Hologram

Hologram (Locked)

Fan

Fan (Locked)

Conduit

Conduit (Locked)

Cannon

Cannon (Locked)

Shell

Soft Shell

Fire Shell

Piston

Sticky Piston

Mesecons Through Wire

Camera

Camera (Locked)

Storage Unit

Storage Unit (Locked)

Storage Indexer

Storage Indexer (Locked)

Crafter

Crafter (locked)

Hopper

Force Field Generator

Force Field Generator (Locked)

Touchscreen

Panel
Image Github
Download, extract to mods folder and rename to "lwcomponents".

Tools
Simple program to create hologram tables.
Last edited by loosewheel on Tue Aug 23, 2022 04:40, edited 36 times in total.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.1] [lwcomponents]

by MisterE » Post

do these work with hopper?

id suggest it if not, id also like to suggest a button that sends the player name of the puncher to digilines

loosewheel

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.1] [lwcomponents]

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 23:48
do these work with hopper?

id suggest it if not,
Added support for hopper as optional dependency for droppers, dispensers and collectors.
MisterE wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 23:48
id also like to suggest a button that sends the player name of the puncher to digilines
I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this, but the puncher now sends a digilines message when it punches something with what was punched.

MisterE

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.2] [lwcomponents]

by MisterE » Post

I mean a button sorta like the mesecons button, that when punched, sends the name of the puncher to a digilines message.

a usecase is if I want to dispense a set of diamond armor (because I have excess diamond) to each player, but only max 1 set to each player, I could hook up a luacontroller to the button. the lua controller checks its memory to see if that player has already pushed the button, if not, then it activates the dispensors and then remembers that players name

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I would also suggest a detector that sends the name of the player it detects to digilines... so you can set up traps for just one player. as an extention, it could also send info about etities that it detects. you could call it a scanner

so the format of the info it sends could be a table:
type = "player" or "entity" or "item"
name = playername or itemname or entityname
hp = the hp of the scanned thing if available
height = colisionbox height

...etc

a couple usecases: I made a connect 4 game with mesecons and led screens. if I could detect the player name I could announce the winners name instead of 'player 1'

I could set up a dispensor that would discharge 5 coins if the scanner detected 1 gold ingot

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

another suggestion: have the dispensor detect spawn eggs and spawn the entity, with velocity :)

loosewheel

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.3] [lwcomponents]

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 22:44
I mean a button sorta like the mesecons button, that when punched, sends the name of the puncher to a digilines message.
Added Player Button. Depends on digistuff as optional dependency.
MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 22:46
I would also suggest a detector that sends the name of the player it detects to digilines...
Detectors already do this. Added hp and height (this is just the upper coord of the collision box) to the sent info. Some mods don't seem to update the hp value frequently, so it may not be accurate.
MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 23:00
another suggestion: have the dispensor detect spawn eggs and spawn the entity, with velocity :)
Added support for mobs mod as optional dependency. Dispensers will spawn the entity from an 'egg' if possible, or the 'egg' is dispensed. If a chicken egg (not spawner) is dispensed a 10% chance a chicken is dispensed instead. If the spawned entity can be owned (or tamed) and the dispenser is owned the owner of the dispenser is set as the owner of the entity.

Monsters seem to need special conditions to spawn so will dispense the 'egg' if not meet. I haven't used these much so didn't fully test.

This required some simulation of the mobs code. If there's problems please post them.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

very cool I will now add this to my server.

more suggestions if you don't mind, and this is just my ideaseof what would be cool in a mesecons mod:

fans: when they recieve a mesecons signal they begin to blow... blocks of the type leaves and any mob or item or player is blown away it the direction that the fan is pointing. there should be a straight poiting fan and a diagonally pointing fan. to blow away, add velocity

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

loosewheel wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 14:08
MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 22:44
Added Player Button. Depends on digistuff as optional dependency.
MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 22:46
I would also suggest a detector that sends the name of the player it detects to digilines...
Detectors already do this. Added hp and height (this is just the upper coord of the collision box) to the sent info. Some mods don't seem to update the hp value frequently, so it may not be accurate.
MisterE wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 23:00
Added support for mobs mod as optional dependency. Dispensers will spawn the entity from an 'egg' if possible, or the 'egg' is dispensed. If a chicken egg (not spawner) is dispensed a 10% chance a chicken is dispensed instead. If the spawned entity can be owned (or tamed) and the dispenser is owned the owner of the dispenser is set as the owner of the entity.

Monsters seem to need special conditions to spawn so will dispense the 'egg' if not meet. I haven't used these much so didn't fully test.

This required some simulation of the mobs code. If there's problems please post them.
if a player has a monster egg then they may spawn that monster regardless of the conditions. so imo it makes sense to allow spawning of any mob regardless of conditions. players can't spawn monsters if they don't have access to the eggs, and if they do, this just allows placing them to be automatic.

another suggestion: have it place default boats and carts if the water or track is available. and have an api for other mods to register item and entity pairs where the item is the 'egg' and the entity is the spawned ent. In the api, give the mod access to the item's name and metadata, and the deployer's pos, and allow it to return an entity to spawn with custom staticdata.

if its not already implemented, you may want to support mobs redo's staticdata... player owned mobs have all their attributes already defined and stored in the egg's metadata. so if I catch a brown horse or a sheared sheep then when the egg is spawned, the animal will have the same state as previously.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

another suggestion: entity cannon

like fans, but it only activates once then turns off. it has an inventory slot for fuel. input tnt sticks to set the cannon power. should support hoppers. all the fuel is used at once, and ignites with a mesecons signal. in the formspec you can set an aim... vertical, 60, 45, 30, 0 deg. in the direction the block is pointed. when activated the cannon throws any player, mob (from mobs redo, with an api to run a custom check to determine if an entity should be thrown) or item with a force determined by the amount of fuel available. the range could be 2-3 nodes

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

It might also be nice to have an optionally enable-able wielder block. This would allow this mod together with hoppers to almost completely replace pipeworks, as a much lower lag solution. You could just take the wielder block from pipeworks, and have the code be optionally enableable

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 14:44
if a player has a monster egg then they may spawn that monster regardless of the conditions. so imo it makes sense to allow spawning of any mob regardless of conditions. players can't spawn monsters if they don't have access to the eggs, and if they do, this just allows placing them to be automatic.
I just checked this again. I had the spawn peaceful mobs enabled. This seemed to stop them spawning from the egg, because with it disabled they all spawned. As far as forcing anything to spawn, this mod doesn't stop them from spawning, the entities handlers in the mod being spawned does.
MisterE wrote:
another suggestion: have it place default boats and carts if the water or track is available. and have an api for other mods to register item and entity pairs where the item is the 'egg' and the entity is the spawned ent. In the api, give the mod access to the item's name and metadata, and the deployer's pos, and allow it to return an entity to spawn with custom staticdata.
As far as a spawn 'something' from 'something' mechanism, this probably won't work. As I mentioned above, I had to simulate some of the mobs code because calling the item's handlers would cause the game to crash. Implementing a third party api would likely cause a lot of problems.
MisterE wrote:
if its not already implemented, you may want to support mobs redo's staticdata... player owned mobs have all their attributes already defined and stored in the egg's metadata. so if I catch a brown horse or a sheared sheep then when the egg is spawned, the animal will have the same state as previously.
I just checked this. The code was there but had a bug. It has been updated. An owned dispenser will still set the owner of the mob, but to pick up the mob you must own it and to place it in the dispenser you must own it. So it just sets the owner with the same owner. If the dispenser is not owned it doesn't change the mob's owner. This is the same as the spawner code. I tested it and it seemed to work. If you have any problems post them.

MisterE

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.4] [lwcomponents]

by MisterE » Post

ok well you could allow expansion by other mod authors by having a callback:

Code: Select all

lwcomponents.register_dispenser_spawner("itemname",function(spawn_pos,metadata))
the function receives a position that the entity will be spawned at, metadata reference for the item, and should return true or false for whether to spawn the entity, name and optionally staticdata for the entity to be spawned. Then the dispensor takes that info, spawns the prescribed entity at spawnposition, and adds the velocity it normally does.

That way it is the 3rd party mods' responsibility to ensure that they return the correct staticdata for the entity.

you could have mobs_redo support use this system as well, and have it be optional.

If I want to make boats spawnable from my own mod, I could do something like:

lwcomponents.register_dispenser_spawner("boats:boat",function(spawn_pos,metadata)

local pos = spawn_pos
local under_pos = {x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z}
if minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:water_source" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:river_water_source" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:water_flowing" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:river_water_flowing" then
return true, "boats:boat" --   <-- name of the entity to spawn, as taken from the boats mod
else return false end

end)

If I return true then the boat is spawned, using the ent name and the optional staticdata provided (none in the example), and if I return false then the item is added to the world instead.

To use this system for the compatability with mobs redo, you would put all of mobs_redo's checks into the function.

On second thought, because you have to copy alot of spawning code from mobs redo, its probably best not to add support form mobs_redo. Instead, just make the api function and then ask or pull request tenplus1 to include optional support from mobs_redo. That way you dont have to update your mod when tenplus1's code changes. If you want you could have a separate mod that adds support for spawning from mobs_redo, but you could also leave that for other modders to implement (best if done by mobs mod authors). It might make sense to only support by default the entities registered in minetest_game

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 15:31
It might also be nice to have an optionally enable-able wielder block. This would allow this mod together with hoppers to almost completely replace pipeworks, as a much lower lag solution. You could just take the wielder block from pipeworks, and have the code be optionally enableable
I'm not familiar with the pipeworks mod and don't really know what this is. If you want to drop/dispense a particular item, both these blocks have a digilines message to drop/dispense an item from a particular slot or to drop/dispense a particular item. When an item is dropped/dispensed a digilines message is sent with the item name and the slot.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

loosewheel wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:55
MisterE wrote:
I'm not familiar with the pipeworks mod and don't really know what this is. If you want to drop/dispense a particular item, both these blocks have a digilines message to drop/dispense an item from a particular slot or to drop/dispense a particular item. When an item is dropped/dispensed a digilines message is sent with the item name and the slot.
A wielder block is a node into which you place a tool, and the node when activated will use the tool on the node that it is pointing at. So you could use it to break trees if you put an axe in it. It will break the node and drop the item that the tool would cause to be dropped, and add the normal wear to the tool (if the owner isnot admin). It should be compatible with hoppers so you can put a new tool in when the tool breaks, or take the tool out automatically before it breaks

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:31
ok well you could allow expansion by other mod authors by having a callback:

lwcomponents.register_dispenser_spawner("itemname",function(spawn_pos,metadata))
the function receives a position that the entity will be spawned at, metadata reference for the item, and should return true or false for whether to spawn the entity, name and optionally staticdata for the entity to be spawned. Then the dispensor takes that info, spawns the prescribed entity at spawnposition, and adds the velocity it normally does.

That way it is the 3rd party mods' responsibility to ensure that they return the correct staticdata for the entity.

you could have mobs_redo support use this system as well, and have it be optional.

If I want to make boats spawnable from my own mod, I could do something like:

lwcomponents.register_dispenser_spawner("boats:boat",function(spawn_pos,metadata)

local pos = spawn_pos
local under_pos = {x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z}
if minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:water_source" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:river_water_source" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:water_flowing" or minetest.get_node(under_pos).name == "default:river_water_flowing" then
return true, "boats:boat" --   <-- name of the entity to spawn, as taken from the boats mod
else return false end

end)

If I return true then the boat is spawned, using the ent name and the optional staticdata provided (none in the example), and if I return false then the item is added to the world instead.

To use this system for the compatability with mobs redo, you would put all of mobs_redo's checks into the function.

On second thought, because you have to copy alot of spawning code from mobs redo, its probably best not to add support form mobs_redo. Instead, just make the api function and then ask or pull request tenplus1 to include optional support from mobs_redo. That way you dont have to update your mod when tenplus1's code changes. If you want you could have a separate mod that adds support for spawning from mobs_redo, but you could also leave that for other modders to implement (best if done by mobs mod authors). It might make sense to only support by default the entities registered in minetest_game
I could implement an api as:

lwcomponents.register_spawner ("itemname", function (spawn_pos, itemstack, owner))
The itemstack is the item of the name "itemname" and the 3rd party can get whatever they want from it. The owner is a string, which may be "", and the 3rd party can do whatever with it. The 3rd party function spawns the entity and returns it as an ObjectRef, and the dispenser throws it.

I also realised that there is a security risk with this mobs spawning. The mobs mod provides a max mobs setting to avoid lag. The counter is an internal variable in the mobs mod. Because I can't access it, this mod just spawns them. I'm implementing a setting Spawn mobs, so this feature can be disabled to avoid it being used to produce lag.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

yes that is a better implementation than my idea. I would also suggest removing mobs_redo support because mobs is a wip mod that gets regular updates, and your copied code may soon become out of date. Instead we can try to ask tenplus1 to implement optional spawning support for this mod in mobs_redo, where he can integrate the spawner function while running all his builtin checks.

If he refuses then mobs compat can be implemented as an addon mod or separate luafile in this mod

The api will also allow elceejo and runs to add support for their mobs, or for game authors to manually add support for the mobs in their game.

When adding velocity to returned objectrefs, be sure to check to make sure that the objectref is still valid to prevent crashes

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

another suggestion: hologram generator

It can place and remove see-thru nonpointable non-walkable colored blocks in a 16x16 area. If the hologram generator is dug, then the all the colored blocks in the area are removed too

Usecase: it could be used to make simple games like 3d tetris in combo with the digistuff game controller. Or other 3d displays.

16x16 might be too large... maybe 8x8 is better, idk

loosewheel

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.5] [lwcomponents]

by loosewheel » Post

Implemented api as:

lwcomponents.register_spawner (itemname, function (spawn_pos, itemstack, owner, spawner_pos, spawner_dir))
spawn_pos: pos to spawn mob.
itemstack: ItemStack of 'egg'.
owner: string name of owner, could be "".
spawner_pos: pos of dispenser.
spawner_dir: dir dispenser is facing.

The spawning function should return ObjectRef or nil. If nil a second boolean value of weather to cancel the action.

eg. If too many mobs:
return nil, true

eg. If only chance of spawn and out of luck (ie. mobs:egg):
return nil, false

I left the mobs spawning code in for now, it can be disabled with the Spawn mobs setting. If mobs implements the api I will then remove it and the dependency. The code shouldn't be a problem but a circular dependency may cause a problem for the engine.

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Added breaker block.
  • Breaks block in front on mesecons power signal or digilines message.
  • Dug item is dropped at back.
  • Tool can be fed from hopper at top or side.
  • Tool can be dropped via digilines message.

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 14:37
very cool I will now add this to my server.

more suggestions if you don't mind, and this is just my ideaseof what would be cool in a mesecons mod:

fans: when they recieve a mesecons signal they begin to blow... blocks of the type leaves and any mob or item or player is blown away it the direction that the fan is pointing. there should be a straight poiting fan and a diagonally pointing fan. to blow away, add velocity
Added fans.
No diagonal, only straight horizontal. Blows entities, players or drops within 5 blocks in front.

Mineminer

Re: [Mod] LWComponents [0.1.6] [lwcomponents]

by Mineminer » Post

Fans? Alternative Breaker? I'm in lol!

I will see about adding this to our community server as a result. Might actually helps us scales a bit more easily as well.

loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 18:47
another suggestion: hologram generator

It can place and remove see-thru nonpointable non-walkable colored blocks in a 16x16 area. If the hologram generator is dug, then the all the colored blocks in the area are removed too

Usecase: it could be used to make simple games like 3d tetris in combo with the digistuff game controller. Or other 3d displays.

16x16 might be too large... maybe 8x8 is better, idk
Added holograms.

Display is 15x15x15 two blocks above hologram block.

Here is a basic tool to design the hologram tables.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

oh oh oh :)

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

some moar suggestions: horizontal and vertical conveyor belts move nodes and objs above/next to them onward one node.

tractor beams pull nodes and objs closer within a range

node placer places node from inv

a 2-node piston and stickypiston

a remotecontrol movestone thatoperates within a range from a digilines controller node.

if protection blocks are installed, a digilines-controlled protection block. if areas are installed, an area controller block. areas can have new people added or removed or be toggled on or off