[Mod] Wooden bucket compatibility mod [bucket_wooden_comp] [WIP]

Clickety

[Mod] Wooden bucket compatibility mod [bucket_wooden_comp] [WIP]

by Clickety » Post

History: having both Minetest 0.4.17.1 and 5.5.0 installed, I've found iron ore is much harder to find in the new version, so I installed bucket_wooden (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22133&hilit=bucket_wooden), which adds wooden buckets so you can start farming without having to mine iron.

The wooden buckets are mostly unusable in the recipes of other mods, so I started adding recipes to bucket_wooden/init.lua. They can also not be used to milk the cow in Mobs Redo, and because mobs, unlike objects and recipes, can't be overwritten, I added the necessary code to mob_animals/cow.lua, and posted it in the thread (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917&hilit=mobs+redo&start=2275).

The new bucket_wooden/init.lua was becoming unpleasantly bloated, and the maker of bucket_wooden suggested a much better idea: a compatibility mod that would add wooden buckets to bucket-using mods without having to alter either bucket_wooden or the bucket-using mods.

This first version of bucket_wooden_comp does that for Mobs Redo and milk, except that it can't change the cow to allow milking with a wooden bucket, so my version includes "mobs_animal/cow.lua" to overwrite that file if you have an old version of Mobs Animal. However, TenPlus1 posted on 26-05-2022 that Mobs Animal is updated to not only fix the cow, but include the wooden bucket versions of milk recipes. So, just for milk, bucket_wooden_comp is already obsolete!

I plan to make it work with other mods too, though, and will put a check in place whether Mobs Animal already registered the wooden milk bucket in its next version. For general compatibility, it also allows the pouring of a full metal/wooden bucket into an empty one, by putting the full bucket over the empty bucket in the crafting grid (contents supported so far: water, river water, milk) so even if a recipe doesn't accept a wooden bucket yet, you can use the wooden bucket to collect the substance and then transfer it to a bucket the recipe does accept.

I'm not on GitHub or notabug.org yet, and this mod isn't worth a place on ContentDB in its present form, so the download is from my own (unrelated) site for now:

http://www.simania.nl/minetest/bucket_w ... omp_01.zip