[Mod] Flowers_NT [flowers_nt][WIP]

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

[Mod] Flowers_NT [flowers_nt][WIP]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

from mod.conf
Flowers NT uses node timers to provide a simple way to grow and cultivate flowers, mushrooms and any other small herb like plants. These can be grown on normal blocks as configured for that flower. This mod can be used as a supplement to farming mods but is not intended as a replacement. Flowers NT provides a configurable API to register growing flowers or small herb type plants for your game (land based or floating only). Supports MTG and Voxelgarden with no configuration needed

Features
- API to register the 5 stages quickly and easily
- Integrates with existing flowers mod no need to remove or replace flowers mod.
- No mods in the depends only optional depends so easily integrated to any game
- Has a basic rollback process so easier to remove later on.
- Detailed ReadMe - maybe too detailed and waffly :)

Issues
- Complex accounting for and testing all cases need some people to give it a try and shake some bugs out :)
- Readme needs another review
- Still testing protection scenarios.
- Working on local/translation files for MTG and VG

Depends
Required: None, Configure the API framework for any game that has flowers
Optional/Work:
  • flowers
  • dyes
  • bonemeal
License
Flowers_NT is licensed under Creative Commons Zero v1.0 Universal - textures and code
except bonemeal override code MIT -TenPlus1
Further Detail: https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/flower ... icense.txt

Downloads
Not quiet ready for non-WIP status yet so just the source
Source Code
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (50.54 KiB) Viewed 2333 times

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: [Mod] Flowers_NT [flowers_nt][WIP]

by twoelk » Post

cool idea
I always thought flowers should be farmable
uhm...
ok so after a longer journey I came back to base just to see how all my beautifull flowers around my little cottage either vanish as I aproached or turned to some brown something probably containing seeds......
guess got to figure out how to make decorative gardens work with this.

also the out of the box functionality depends on default:dirt and others for placing flowers.
This might need to be explained so that one knows if used in another game that uses own dirt/soil types this may need adjustment befor working. Not sure wether this could work with some sort of dirt/soil/sand grouping.

made me play with flower mods again
there really should be more
and those existing should work together better

really love those flower meadows

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Thanks Twoelk :)

For decorative flower gardens just pick some flowering flower heads and stick them around your house, they will never age or seed or anything (shouldnt do). Basically they become permenant decorations :). I figured people would probably have flower gardens/farms for dye source and then have there builds and just want decorations with 100% flowers all the time.

Yah all the config for games is held in the i_game_mtg.lua and i_game_vg.lua. If you load another game with flowers_nt active and dont configure anything it'll basically do nothing until some other mod configures the flowers. The i_game_mtg.lua could for example be changed so flowers grow on farming soil or any other type. Someone could create a config file for Mineclone2, Nodecore(does nodecore have flowers?) or Ethereal. I was trying to keep the whole mod CC0 and didn't feel like pixel arting that many flowers.... :(

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Been playing around with setup and structure of the mod locally. I think I'll take a leaf out of mobs_redos book and have the base mod with api and then structure the game/mods as seperate mods eg
  • flowers_nt
    • flowers_nt_minetestgame
    • flowers_nt_voxelgarden
    • flowers_nt_ethereal
I realised the above works better when I was testing functionality with ethereal as ethereal reset alot of the base MT flowers so I'd end up with conflicts in decoration registrations if I left MTG bundled into the base mod.

Only bit that troubles me is, a little bit of mod proliferation but I think it provides better flexability to game players - Very happy to take thoughts or ideas.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Split the current mod into 3 mods

Base API: https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/flowers_nt
Minetest Game: https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/flower ... netestgame
Voxel Garden: https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/flowers_nt_voxelgarden

The readme needs an update and I fixed a bug in seed placement code. Licence file for both MTG and VG needs a tweak as well. I've got the fire flower, fire thorn and the three illumi mushrooms drawn for ethereal so I'll cleanup the above two and create an ethereal version - already identified some enhancements needed to support ethereal. I did quickly look in on the nodecore code and it appears to have growing flowers already.
Attachments
flowers_nt_split.png
flowers_nt_split.png (697.68 KiB) Viewed 2117 times

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Busy weekend so only minor tweaks and updates to the base API and MTG and VG mods. These were needed initially so I can add Ethereal support.

Biggest change that would be noticable is that I now reuse the pre-existing registration more, essentially I add the extra stages to that existing registered decoration. I also include the 4 main growth stages in that decoration so on game start growth stage is now randomised not all at flowering (stage 3).

Under the hood the code now handles decoration registrations that are unnamed, fair few of those in Ethereal. So I hunt through the node names inside the registered def.decoration looking for matches and update that way. It handles both string and table searching. This had the nice flow on effect that for existing flowers/herbs you can actually register the extra stages supplying even less info. However I have some more work to do on the api to make those fields optional for existing flowers only at the moment they are still mandatory.

Readme is very out dated but I'll wait until I stabilsie the base code before doing an update to save me some time.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

I've managed to get ethereal working, the fire flowers were an interesting little challenge. I think I got the coverage about right and I'm happy the api handled the standard parts while allowing custom code to be included in the mod config file. I've just asked on the Ethereal mod thread if the coverage looks about right to more experienced users of ethereal from testing abm vs node timers the coverage to me looked to be around the same.

I'm still testing the mod and making sure I found all the bugs already found an odd one where I was duplicating dec registrations which meant the prairie was covered as in every node in flowers. I don't fully understand what was going on it was almost as if the registered decs for a mod are not fully committed to the registered_decorations table until the mod has finished loading. Anyways I found another method that works and I want to go back and explore that issue a little more using a simple 2 decoration mod where it's much easier to track what's going on.

About the only other change I made was the illumishrooms I wasn't sure I could replicate growth stages for the 32px texture so I recreated them as 16px textures - still tweaking them particularly the red one. I also have the seed, growth stage 1 and growth stage 4 put out less light (half rounded down). Also illumishrooms seem capable of growing in all light levels. Dropping from 32 to 16 also means less detail but hopefully they fit a little better with the general flowers and I haven't stuffed them too badly (4x size) -
Attachments
ethereal_illumishroom_green.png
ethereal_illumishroom_green.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Spent about 4-5 days actually playing with ethereal both on a server environment and solo to get a feel for how it works and fire flowers are closer in use to Crystal Spikes than flowers

Given they are more a super special ingredient similar to Crystal Spikes, I view them more as Fires Spikes than flowers :). I'm going to wrap the code for fire flowers I've written in a config setting and set it off by default. The option will be there to turn it on but I wouldn't recommend it.
Changing Fire flowers to growable flowers can/could have very unforeseen consequences on say a servers current economy or worse make it much easier to create special items. Which is definitely not my intent with this mod, I more just wanted to add a way to have growing standard flowers to make the environment feel more alive/dynamic with side bonus's of giving a way for people to farm dye colors and possibly lower abm usage.

I'll add a setting for the ethereal flowers_nt mod and then do a new release of all 4 mods to Git. But wanted to provide an update about what I've been doing for the past few days and that I am still working on them just being very cautious with my approach and trying to get a full understanding before just arbitrarily changing things in another mod.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Just posted initial commit for Ethereal mod and settings for Flowers_NT.

https://github.com/sirrobzeroone/flowers_nt_ethereal

A little more nervous on this one as ethereal is more customised, to support ethereal the base api and minetestgame and voxelgarden flowers_nt mods have also had an update.

Still more cleanup to go mostly on the documentation then I'll release all 4 to ContentDB