[Mod] Gears and axles 2 [prealfa v2] [gears3d]

SFENCE
GitHub: SFENCE
In-game: SFENCE

[Mod] Gears and axles 2 [prealfa v2] [gears3d]

by SFENCE » Post

This mod adds moving gears and axles to the Minetest world.

This mod is designed like the next generation of Stu's mod gear3d and his idea.

Screenshot:
Spoiler
Screenrecord:
VIDEO

TODO;
  • Other types of gears
  • chain gears
  • windmill power source
  • millstone
HELP WANTED:
I am looking for somebody to help me with modifying models for this mod. I need broken variants of them. If you are able and wiling to help, please contact me via PM message here.

Download: https://github.com/sfence/gear3d/archiv ... ads/v2.zip
Source code: https://github.com/sfence/gear3d
Dependencies: appliances, power_generators
Optional Dependencies:
License: MIT for source code, CC BY-SA 3.0 for media files.
Attachments
screenshot_20220705_171756.png
screenshot_20220705_171756.png (969.65 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

j0j0n4th4n

Re: [Mod] Gears and axles 2 [prealfa v2] [gears3d]

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Wow, that is pretty cool.
I watched the video but couldn't tell exactly what was going on, it looks like pressure was being transferred from one vial to the other but the axle transfer torque, doesn't it?
Also when you left the cursor over the vial node, the dial was very hard to see. Maybe it would be better if it was a simple plane rather than three nodeboxes?

If it's models that you need I can help you some but I would need to know what they should look like when broken, could you draw some pictures and post here?
cdb_894a100ddd76

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:59
Wow, that is pretty cool.
I watched the video but couldn't tell exactly what was going on, it looks like pressure was being transferred from one vial to the other but the axle transfer torque, doesn't it?
Also when you left the cursor over the vial node, the dial was very hard to see. Maybe it would be better if it was a simple plane rather than three nodeboxes?

If it's models that you need I can help you some but I would need to know what they should look like when broken, could you draw some pictures and post here?
This is the newer video: https://streamable.com/0sjo6u It expires in two days.

Yes, shaft API from power generators is based on torque transfer and transformation.

I want it to be constructed from nodes, to make it possible to build what the player wants/needs.

Yes, I need models and textures for them. At the moment, I need gears with destroyed teeth and the shaft on one side. I want these broken nodes to be movable like existing gears but without torque transfer via them to other gears.
So if I detect opposite rotation I want to break gear and keep the machine moving. it looks like the most natural solution.

It means broken variants of
  • spur_gear
  • cage_female_small
  • cage_female_large
  • cage_male_double
  • cage_male_single
  • sprocket -> variant without chain should be enough, I want to use some logic to drop the chain in case of some problem.
I don't have a precise idea how it should look. But it would be nice if it will be in some style like existing gears.

Are it enough information or do you need more?
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

if I understand right you wanna the gears to break if they are forced to rotate in the wrong direction but they should still rotate therefore they should be animated.

That is trick but I think I can work with that, I will test some ideas first them I will ask you if they fit, ok?

Do you need them to have a stationary variant?
cdb_894a100ddd76

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 23:00
if I understand right you wanna the gears to break if they are forced to rotate in the wrong direction but they should still rotate therefore they should be animated.

That is trick but I think I can work with that, I will test some ideas first them I will ask you if they fit, ok?

Yes, I want gears to break if they are forced to rotate in the wrong direction.
Yes, I need stationary variants. Broken gears will have to be repaired.

It sounds good to test the idea and check if it fits. I am ready to cooperate. Thanks.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 23:00

The actual solution uses only one model for stationary and moving gears. The difference between moving and stationary nodes is only in animated/non-animated textures.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

The actual solution uses only one model for stationary and moving gears. The difference between moving and stationary nodes is only in animated/non-animated textures.
That is correct, however it's not so simple. The way gears and axle does animation is honestly mind boggling. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact it uses so little polygons, look at this picture:
Djt5rsB.png
Djt5rsB.png (599 KiB) Viewed 882 times
If I understand right each segment of the wheel (12 in total) should have three copies of itself, the texture alternating between the three would give the animation effect. However, if that were the case it would have three times more polygons, but it doesn't... somehow.

I intend on using the gear3d textures for the broken variants this way a texture pack will work seamless with both mods and the style is more consistent, the problem I'm having is the animation texture from gear3d is also not what I expected it to be, the frames seems more diagonal align than vertical so I'm still figuring out what texture what in each node.
cdb_894a100ddd76

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 16:37
That is correct, however it's not so simple. The way gears and axle does animation is honestly mind boggling. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact it uses so little polygons, look at this picture:
Djt5rsB.png

If I understand right each segment of the wheel (12 in total) should have three copies of itself, the texture alternating between the three would give the animation effect. However, if that were the case it would have three times more polygons, but it doesn't... somehow.

I intend on using the gear3d textures for the broken variants this way a texture pack will work seamless with both mods and the style is more consistent, the problem I'm having is the animation texture from gear3d is also not what I expected it to be, the frames seems more diagonal align than vertical so I'm still figuring out what texture what in each node.
It looks like only part of the polygons is shown. If I compare it to what is shown in Blender.
Spoiler
Maybe, polygons with transparent textures are not visible.
Attachments
shot.png
shot.png (314.17 KiB) Viewed 869 times
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 16:37
If you find it easier to remodel both gear's versions (normal and broken), I am also open to that solution.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

Bellkitsu

by Bellkitsu » Post

I predict this might evolve into the Minetest counterpart of Minecraft’s Create mod.

To make it easier for you to model the objects, why not try and use Blockbench? It can be handy for you if you’re modeling blocks like minetest.

I haven’t looked into it though and inspect the models though (in the first picture, they look incredibly complex except for the gears). If you are looking for damaged models, cracks in the texture should already indicate damage.
create.swf extended © rsgmaker (original create.swf © kirbym (walfie) And TheFre). Touhou Project © ZUN.

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

Bellkitsu wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 05:42
I predict this might evolve into the Minetest counterpart of Minecraft’s Create mod.

To make it easier for you to model the objects, why not try and use Blockbench? It can be handy for you if you’re modeling blocks like minetest.

I haven’t looked into it though and inspect the models though (in the first picture, they look incredibly complex except for the gears). If you are looking for damaged models, cracks in the texture should already indicate damage.
Only crack in textures will look bad, I am afraid. Because it will still be visible that the gear teeth fit against other gear teeth, but the movement is not transferred. Similarly for axles. There should be visible teeth broken off and an axle broken off to prevent it look strange.

Thanks for the tip on Blockbench, I will look at it.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68