[Mod] Natural Biomes

Liil

[Mod] Natural Biomes

by Liil » Post

Natural Biomes is a mod that adds 7 new biomes to your Minetest world.

1. Wet Savanna

This biome is similar to the classic savanna, but has more green vegetation:

2. Outback

A dry biome that spawns in the near of deserts and savannas, inspired by the heart of Australia:

3. Alder Swamp

This lowland biome adds a swampy landscape with alder trees and reeds. Inspired by the North German alder swamps:

4. Alpine

This biome only spawns in higher latitudes and adds a typical alpine open forest landscape:

5. Beach

This biome appears at the tropical coast line and gives your world a Caribbean flair:

6. Bamboo Forest

Adds a dense bamboo forest with some banana trees in tropical regions:

7. Mediterranean

Inspired by the Greek coastal regions and ancient ruins:

Content DB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/L ... ralbiomes/

Git: https://github.com/Skandarella/naturalbiomes

The mod also contains many new building parts, including stairs, slabs and walls:

This mod should not overwrite the existing biomes, but makes some of them appear lesser often.
Please post bugs or suggestions here.

The graphics are in line with my Texture Pack (Wilhelmines Texture Pack) and will not match the standard Minetest textures.

I plan to make this mod compatible with my other mods (Animal World, Native Villages, People) but I struggle with one thing. I made also the Living Floatlands mod which adds dinosaurs to the floatlands, but the floatlands are only available in V7 map generator and I think most people don’t use the floatlands at all.
I also could port down the dinosaurs down to Midgard and let them populate those 7 new biomes from the Natural Biomes mod. Making special dinosaur biomes in Midgard would be possible, but complicated, because if too many biomes are in the same climate zone, some will never appear again, they will be overwritten by the others (Etheral mod has this problem too) I can make a cold palaeolithical steppe biome for the mammoths, sabertooth and rhinos and a kind of giant tree forest for the dinosaurs, but there is not much space for biomes in the hotter climate zones anymore.
On the other side I also have a plan what new normal animals should be in the 7 new biomes. For example Zebras, Koalas, Ibex, Coconut Crab, Heron and many more.
I could also do special dinosaur biomes in the floatlands that only appear there, but it would take months to years to get everything finished, because I don’t have so much time to do anything I would like to do fast enough.

So I will make an opinion poll to hear your statement:

https://poll-maker.com/Q09R6YV3O
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Onyx
In-game: Onyx

Re: [Mod] Natural Biomes

by Onyx » Post

Very nice!
"One chunk, two chunks, three chunks..."

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Mod looks excellent :)

Depending how much modeling work you feel like doing theres also all the extinct megafauna from aus/nz (other countries as well): A little later timewise than dino's but might fit, floatlands last of the dino's, ground level extinct Pleistocene animals?

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Pretty neat!

I might integrate it into Adsurv...
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

this mod is running on Centeria Survival. you will have to explore new areas to find the biomes

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

Note: This happens with latest master of this mod, on Minetest 5.6.0-dev.

The schematic for the tall / wide pine tree, from the mediterranean biome, erases any block present in its space when it grows. You can reproduce this easily; it ruins the landscape and possibly your progress, too! Be careful.

The biomes look really nice otherwise!
Jump in the caac

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

So, yesterday I started a world with all of your mods, but quickly stopped because alder leaves weren't decaying.
At first I thought it was just because of the bad schematic which places all the leaves with param2 = 1. So I just changed the no-decay value to 25 as a workaround. When that didn't help I took a quick look through your code and noticed that non of your trees are registered for leave decay in the fist place.
You will have to use the 'default.register_leafdecay' function for decay to work. Just adding the 'leafdecay' group to the leaves is not enough.
Relevant API section: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... i.txt#L916

Liil

by Liil » Post

I have added this to the mod, but only the bushes (Mediterranean Cypress for example) work for leaf decay. The big trees dont loose their leaves, even if i add them. What is wrong?

default.register_leafdecay({
trunks = {"naturalbiomes:med_bush_stem"},
leaves = {"naturalbiomes:med_bush_leaves"},
radius = 3
})

works

trunks = {"naturalbiomes:outback_trunk"},
leaves = {"naturalbiomes:outback_leaves"},
radius = 3
})

works not
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Most likely the schematics that place the big trees all place the tree leaves with "param2 = 1" which causes the leafdecay code to ignore these leaves. You will have to change/remake the schematics so that the leaves have a param2 of 0.

Btw: I also noticed that the new walls don't seem to have recipes. Or at least the craftguide didn't show any.

Liil

by Liil » Post

Okay I will add the missing recipes soon. But how can i change the leaves from param 2 to 0?
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Can it work with Ethereal at the same time?
OneUnitedPower

Liil

by Liil » Post

I tried it together with Ethereal, but Ethereal overwrites all of my biomes it seems.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Liil wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 19:53
I tried it together with Ethereal, but Ethereal overwrites all of my biomes it seems.
Yes it's fiddly you would need to optional depend on ethereal then add trees/plants to specific ethereal biomes as decorations and not register your normal biomes.

I have a partially finished mod pack that does something similar to base MTG biomes.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

How can i make them work together?
OneUnitedPower

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

sirrobzeroone wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 22:44
Liil wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 19:53
Yes it's fiddly you would need to optional depend on ethereal then add trees/plants to specific ethereal biomes as decorations and not register your normal biomes.

I have a partially finished mod pack that does something similar to base MTG biomes.
An optional dependency on Ethereal would actually fix this issue. You do not need to change any biome or decoration registrations.

If you do add a optional dependency on Ethereal, also consider optional dependencies on Australia and Aotearoa, as they also clear biomes, decorations, and ores by default.

Consider adding the following to your mod, and this should also be done for Ethereal.

Create a new or edit an existing settingtypes.txt file in your mod folder. Add the following code:

Code: Select all

#naturalbiomes settings

#If enabled, will clear all registered biomes.
naturalbiomes.clear_biomes (Enable to clear registered biomes.  true / false) bool true

#If enabled, will clear all registered decorations.
naturalbiomes.clear_decos (Enable to clear registered decorations.  true / false) bool true

#If enabled, will clear all registered ores.
naturalbiomes.clear_ores (Enable to clear registered ores.  true / false) bool false

In init.lua, add the following code somewhere at the top.

--This creates the naturalbiomes object.
naturalbiomes = {}

--This creates the naturalbiomes.settings object, and fills it with either the menu selected choices as defined in settingtypes.txt, or default values, (In this case, false).
naturalbiomes.settings = {
	clear_biomes			= minetest.settings:get_bool("naturalbiomes.clear_biomes") or false,
	clear_decos			= minetest.settings:get_bool("naturalbiomes.clear_decos") or false,
	clear_ores			= minetest.settings:get_bool("naturalbiomes.clear_ores") or false,
}

if naturalbiomes.settings.clear_biomes then
	minetest.clear_registered_biomes()
end
if naturalbiomes.settings.clear_decos then
	minetest.clear_registered_decorations()
end
if naturalbiomes.settings.clear_ores then
	minetest.clear_registered_ores()
end

This is a very nice mod, the biomes blend well with Ethereal and valleys_c. Hope the above helps.

Shad.
Attachments
screenshot_20220807_200849.jpg
screenshot_20220807_200849.jpg (325.92 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
screenshot_20220806_162938.jpg
screenshot_20220806_162938.jpg (459.74 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
screenshot_20220805_173626.jpg
screenshot_20220805_173626.jpg (369.16 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

Liil

by Liil » Post

I have added the dependency for ethereal and created a settingtypes.txt with the code and copied the other code in the init.lua, but the biomes still dont appear, only the ethereal ones. I only did this to my mod folder. Do i have to do something in ethereal folder too?
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Liil,

This does work.

Try setting the three new settings in your mod to true, to clear the biomes, decos, and ores. Do not disable Ethereal. Some map seeds are Ethereal heavy, try creating a world with a different seed, just in case.

Also, try loading just Minetest Game, with only ethereal and naturalbiomes mods.

This is simply a test to ensure that Ethereal can be loaded as a mod, while allowing your mod to establish its own biomes, decos, and ores.

The screenshots I included were taken just prior to my last post, and through last evening. I've even had naturalbiomes, ethereal, and valleys_c running with my own gal mod.

Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20220807_200149.jpg
screenshot_20220807_200149.jpg (406.48 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
screenshot_20220806_175956.jpg
screenshot_20220806_175956.jpg (393.28 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
screenshot_20220806_163731.jpg
screenshot_20220806_163731.jpg (483.28 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

Liil

by Liil » Post

I dont know why it doesent work. I created a settingtypes.txt with the code. I copied the second code into the init.lua at firts position. I added "ethereal?" to the depends.txt
Still not working.Tried different seeds, only ethereal biomes appear. If I only active naturalbiomes and after a while ethereal, I can see how theres a cut in the generating biomes and only the ethereal ones are spawning after activating ethereal.
I also tried only ethereal and natural biomes, no doesent work.
I am using ethereal 1.28 on Minetest 5.4.1
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Liil,

Your mod also includes mod.conf. Set the optional dependency in this file.

You can safely delete depends.txt, as it is no longer used, and will be dropped in some future version of MT.

This conflict between mod.conf and depends.txt is the issue. Once you correct this, you should see the biomes in all their glory. :)

Shad

Liil

by Liil » Post

Thank you very much Shad! I added ethereal to the mod.conf and now it works. New version with ethereal compatibility will be available soon.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Thanks Shad and Liil!
OneUnitedPower

kristovish
GitHub: kristovish
In-game: kristovish

by kristovish » Post

I love this mod I just start a public server with Natural biomes and other mods made by you on it!

Liil

by Liil » Post

I have managed to fix the spawning position of trees from saplings. The spawning trees also do not anymore delte the surrounding blocks.

But with the leaf decay there are some issues. Sfence helped me to convert the .mts to .lua files, to change the leaf param from 1 to 0 so that the leaf decay works. But this conversion created problems with the trunks of the trees, their images are now not anymore in the right position (Naked log ends are pointing all in one direction)
Another problem is, that the leaf decay works only in the radius of the stems. But the trees in this mod, have big crowns that are distant from the stems. This results in not all leaves decaying.

I personally are against adding the leaf decay, because of three main issues:

1. The leaves dont decay completely and I dont want to make the tree schematics look different for that (Adding stems, where stems should not be present/not being able to create large tree crowns).
2. After conversion from .mts to .lua to .mts the stems dont have right position anymore, this looks not nice.
3. I cannot convert the files myself, because converting .mts to .lua is only possible on Linux.

So I will not add the leaf decay, until a converter that also works on windows is available, also without the issue of the wrong stem positioning.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Liil wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 21:35
Another problem is, that the leaf decay works only in the radius of the stems. But the trees in this mod, have big crowns that are distant from the stems. This results in not all leaves decaying.

So I will not add the leaf decay, until a converter that also works on windows is available, also without the issue of the wrong stem positioning.
The way that I handled this when I added leaf decay to Australia mod was to tune the leaf decay radius for each type of leaves so it's just right. You can set a radius when you register leaf decay:

-- Example value
	leafdecay_radius = 4
            trunks = {trunk_node_name},
            leaves = {tree_leaf_name, treefruit_name},
            radius = leafdecay_radius,
        })
This is alright for trees where the leaves are not too thin or too wide. For the Merbau tree and conifer trees I forked a little library called 'nulda' based on the default leafdecay code where you can give three radii instead:

-- Example value
leafdecay_radius = vector.new(3,4,3) -- x,y,z
aus.register_nonuniform_leafdecay({
    trunks = {trunk_node_name},
    leaves = {tree_leaf_name, treefruit_name},
    radii = leafdecay_radius,
 })
Then you can simply spend some time growing trees and destroying them to tune the appropriate radius for the leafdecay. The naturalbiomes trees are not too big so this should not be a lot of trouble, but in case it is you may want to use an approach like the schematic gallery code I wrote for test all 50 species at once.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Liil,

In schematics, the param value equates to node rotation. When param = 0, the node is considered to be upright and not rotated, aligned to the world, with each face of the node pointing in its native cardinal orientation. When building trees, we do not always face in the same direction when placing nodes, and so those nodes get different param values assigned to them, depending on which direction we are facing when placing the node. I've seen this in SOOOO many schematics, and yes, it is a pain in the ... and difficult to track the issues that this creates. Quite simply, none of us are that detail oriented....

Lua schematics allow you to edit those details in a text editor. You can easily assign a single variable to represent a tree trunk node, correctly aligned to param = 0. By the way, all leaf node and fruit nodes should also be at param = 0.

In many of the .mts files I've come across, especially the schems for mg_villages, there is a unique node definition for several param values of a single node. Air blocks, with param = 17, because the user was standing in an odd place and placed the node by clicking on the side of the block next to it, instead of on top. What this has the effect of doing, is to actually bloat the size of the .mts file, which has to accommodate all the different param values of a single node, treating each as a unique node in itself.

In Gal, trees and logs are lua tables. Take a peek. You'll see that the node that defines a tree trunk is at param = 0, as are the leaves and fruit, while logs are at param = 4 or param = 12 or whichever param points to the 4 cardinal directions. Note, you only need to point a log North or East, since South and West make the log in the same respective direction, this means you only need 3 total node variables in your table, standard param = 0, param = 4, and param = 12.

Consider the following.

These variables are defined for the various tree and leaf nodes.

N["T0m00"] = {name = ttrunk,param2 = 0,prob = 254}
	N["T0mN0"] = {name = ttrunk,param2 = 4,prob = 254}
	N["T0mS0"] = {name = ttrunk,param2 = 8,prob = 254}
	N["T0mE0"] = {name = ttrunk,param2 = 12,prob = 254}
	N["T0mW0"] = {name = ttrunk,param2 = 16,prob = 254}
	N["L0m00"] = {name = tleaves,param2 = 0,prob = 254}
	N["L0m01"] = {name = tleaves,param2 = 0,prob = 192}
This is an Acacia tree.

{
	size = {x = 9,y = 8,z = 9},
	data = {
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"],

N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"],
		N["_____"], N["_____"], N["T0m00"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m00"], N["L0m01"],

N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"],
		N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["L0m01"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"], N["_____"]
	},
	yslice_prob = {
		{ypos = 0,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 1,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 2,prob = 126},
		{ypos = 3,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 4,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 5,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 6,prob = 254},
		{ypos = 7,prob = 254}
	}
}
This is an Acacia log.

{
	size = {x = 3, y = 2, z = 1},
	data = {{name = "air", prob = 0},
		{name = "air", prob = 0},
		{name = "air", prob = 0},
		{name = "gal:tree_acacia_trunk", param2 = 12, prob = 191},
		{name = "gal:tree_acacia_trunk", param2 = 12},
		{name = "gal:tree_acacia_trunk", param2 = 12, prob = 127},
	},
}
The tree and the log use the same node, just defined as a different "use case".

Hope some of this helps.

Shad