[Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.2] [grue]

Majozoe
GitHub: Majozoe
In-game: Majozoe

[Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.2] [grue]

by Majozoe » Post

You should be careful when diving into the dark caverns. Otherwise you may run into something terrible.

< - Description - >
The Grue mod is a simple mod that implements the Grue, a creature that avoids light at all costs, and eats anyone who stays in pitch black darkness for extended periods of time.

< - Dependencies - >
None!

< - Download - >
v1.0.2 download/file.php?id=28233

v1.0.1 download/file.php?id=26282

v1.0.0a download/file.php?id=26262

v1.0.0 download/file.php?mode=view&id=26256

Also check it out on:
ContentDB - https://content.minetest.net/packages/Majozoe/grue/
Github - https://github.com/Majozoe/Minetest-Gruemod

Short video showing the feature, for those who want to be spoiled
Spoiler
< - Changelog - >
Spoiler
v1.0.2
- Moved the visual warning to the center of the screen. Should make it easier to spot as opposed to the chat window it was originally located in.

- Added a 'jumpscare' image that shows up when you die to the Grue. Credits to 'Duckgo' for this idea.

- - - - -

v1.0.1
- Added configuration options to the main menu. This is accessible by going to the settings tab, then clicking on "All Settings", then "Content: Mods", and searching for Grue.

- There are currently 4 options available, controlling when the Grue can attack and how loud the audio cues are. (Note: I had to resort to using what I felt was a strange method for increasing the volume for values greater than 1. I found no major issues during my short time testing it, but if you encounter any issues, please let me know.)

- Increased the default death time from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.

- - - - -

v1.0.0a
- Updated position checking code to reduce the likelihood of the game checking the block underneath the player. This would result in the game returning a light level of 0, and could cause a player to die to the Grue in broad daylight.
Code and assets licensed under CC0
Attachments
grue.zip
(113.36 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by Majozoe on Sat Oct 07, 2023 23:55, edited 7 times in total.

Majozoe

Re: [Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.0] [grue]

by Majozoe » Post

< - - New release - v1.0.0a - - >
grue.zip
(116.37 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Changelog
- Updated position checking code to reduce the likelihood of the game checking the block underneath the player. This would result in the game returning a light level of 0, and could cause a player to die to the Grue in broad daylight.

duckgo
In-game: duckgo

Re: [Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.0a] [grue]

by duckgo » Post

it would be interesting to see a hud, seconds before grue's attack, with this image of his smile ๐Ÿค”
๐ŸŽฎ Nice Texture ๐ŸŽฎ Mods ๐ŸŽฎ youtube channel ๐ŸŽฎ

Majozoe

by Majozoe » Post

duckgo wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 09, 2022 02:57
it would be interesting to see a hud, seconds before grue's attack, with this image of his smile ๐Ÿค”
Ehh, I'm not entirely opposed to that idea, it's kind of neat. That being said I've never really been a fan of low effort jump scares (my own included), and I feel like I'm kind of pushing it with those audio clips.

I'll keep it in mind, maybe the idea will grow on me. ๐Ÿ˜

duckgo
In-game: duckgo

by duckgo » Post

Majozoe wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 09, 2022 03:31
duckgo wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 09, 2022 02:57
Ehh, I'm not entirely opposed to that idea, it's kind of neat. That being said I've never really been a fan of low effort jump scares (my own included), and I feel like I'm kind of pushing it with those audio clips.

I'll keep it in mind, maybe the idea will grow on me. ๐Ÿ˜
๐Ÿ˜ ok, I found your mod very cool, thanks!
๐ŸŽฎ Nice Texture ๐ŸŽฎ Mods ๐ŸŽฎ youtube channel ๐ŸŽฎ

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I like the mod, but the grue attack was too instantaneous for my tastes. It doesn't look to be enough time to escape it.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Majozoe

by Majozoe » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:14
I like the mod, but the grue attack was too instantaneous for my tastes. It doesn't look to be enough time to escape it.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll look into adding some configuration options so people can tweak it a little bit more to their tastes. In the meantime, you can place torches after you hear the warning and it'll chase the Grue away. It also works with any mod that creates light while you're holding certain items.

Majozoe

by Majozoe » Post

< - - New release - v1.0.1 - - >
grue.zip
(117.62 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Changelog:

- Added configuration options to the main menu. This is accessible by going to the settings tab, then clicking on "All Settings", then "Content: Mods", and searching for Grue.

- There are currently 4 options available, controlling when the Grue can attack and how loud the audio cues are. (Note: I had to resort to using what I felt was a strange method for increasing the volume for values greater than 1. I found no major issues during my short time testing it, but if you encounter any issues, please let me know.)

- Increased the default death time from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.

Phii
GitHub: phseiff

Re: [Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.1] [grue]

by Phii » Post

Just saw this mod on content DB and just wanted to say that this is an incredibly cool and atmospheric approach to a rlly neat idea.

Majozoe

Re: [Mod] The Grue mod [v1.0.1] [grue]

by Majozoe » Post

< - - - New Release v.1.0.2 - - - >
grue.zip
V1.0.2
(123.42 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Whoops! A year late to Halloween, but that's okay... right guys?

Changelog:

- Moved the visual warning to the center of the screen. Should make it easier to spot as opposed to the chat window it was originally located in.

- Added a 'jumpscare' image that shows up when you die to the Grue. Credits to 'Duckgo' for this idea.