[Mod] Living Desert

Liil

[Mod] Living Desert

by Liil » Post

This small mod adds various plants to the deserts of Minetest. The plants are more of a decorative use, they dont provide much new building materials, but some parts can be burned.
Date palms and fig cactus provide some food through fruits, but overall the desert stays an unpleasant place.
In higher latitudes small succulents can be found, near the sea level the date palm oasis appears. Euphorbia tree forest can be often found in deserts and provide some orientation.

Content DB: Waiting for approval

Git: https://github.com/Skandarella/livingdesert

cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: [Mod] Living Desert

by CalebJ » Post

Looks fantastic, great work!

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

Liil wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 20:07
- snip -
- snip -
this is not correct. please click the submit for approval button so the its in the queue
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Do you intend to fold this into your naturalbiomes mod? This would make sense as an additional biome there.

Shad

Liil

by Liil » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 22:30
Liil wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 20:07
- snip -
- snip -
this is not correct. please click the submit for approval button so the its in the queue
Sorry, I had to go to sleep yesterday nite and accidentally did not pushed the button ;)
Last edited by Liil on Mon Nov 28, 2022 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Liil

by Liil » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 02:42
Do you intend to fold this into your naturalbiomes mod? This would make sense as an additional biome there.

Shad
I already did a paleo desert biome for livingfloatlands, you can let it spawn at the ground with the groud version of the mod.
Another hot desert biome would set the default desert biomes under pressure not to appear and I dont want that. Some other biome mods (For example Etheral) makes some of the defualt biomes not appear anymore it seems, I dont want this to happen to my own mods.

One option would be doing something with the ugly child of minetest default biomes: The cold desert/silversand desert. I have searched for pictures of cold deserts and they are rare on earth and mostly ugly and do not provide much ideas for pimping them up. Another biome that is in the same climate would be the mongol steppe.

So two options: Transforming cold desert to mongol steppe via textures and additional plant and building materials (For example materials for building yurts, kurgan graves to discover). It is possible to transform the ground via nodes with forced placement, I also did this to add more ground variation in the giantforest and paleo jungle. For a Mongolian Grassland, this would mean that the silversand only appears in lower latitudes(near water level) and the rest of the biome will be replaced by new grassland nodes.

The second option would be creationg a new biome (Mongol Steppe) that replaces the cold desert to the most part. The problem is, that near the cold desert are the hot deserts, the coldsteppe(Livingfloatlands) and the grassland. I dont want the grassland to disappear, because it is also the place where the grasslander houses of my mod "people" spawn.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Brings a lot of life to a harsh biome :) nicely done...

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Liil wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 07:37
One option would be doing something with the ugly child of minetest default biomes: The cold desert/silversand desert. I have searched for pictures of cold deserts and they are rare on earth and mostly ugly and do not provide much ideas for pimping them up. Another biome that is in the same climate would be the mongol steppe.
I always thought of the silver sand biome as similar to the White Sands National Park, New Mexico- I don't know if it was actually based on that, but maybe you could check that out for inspiration.

If you were copying the WSNP biome, you could actually do quite a lot with it: the real place has some cool plant species like Ocotillo, Kingcup Cactus, and Cholla (as well as sagebrush, that's everywhere in western US), in addition to some permanent residents like the Roadrunner, the (accidentally introduced?) Gemsbok, and the Kit Fox.

Liil

by Liil » Post

CalebJ wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 15:26
Liil wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 07:37
I always thought of the silver sand biome as similar to the White Sands National Park, New Mexico- I don't know if it was actually based on that, but maybe you could check that out for inspiration.

If you were copying the WSNP biome, you could actually do quite a lot with it: the real place has some cool plant species like Ocotillo, Kingcup Cactus, and Cholla (as well as sagebrush, that's everywhere in western US), in addition to some permanent residents like the Roadrunner, the (accidentally introduced?) Gemsbok, and the Kit Fox.
Also nice ideas, but this desert is not cold. Adding the Roadrunner and Gemsbock is an interesting idea for animalworld, the sand desert (The one with default:sand) is relatively empty of animals, they can find their place there.

I decided to transform the cold desert into a biome mix of Mongolia. In lower parts of the landscape, Saxaul tree deserts now appear. In the middle parts wide grassland is present. The higher you will go, the more the landscape turns into a larch forest, the highest parts are filled with autumn styled larchs.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Looks very nice. It's always great to have more plants and a nicer, more living landscape. Hope to see it on servers and in games soon.
A list of my mods can be found here.