Ringworld-like game space

nomohakon
IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

Ringworld-like game space

by nomohakon » Post

Is there way to make minetest world more like Ringworld (by Larry Niven)? I mean lowering the height of world, flattening it (like 1000 blocks to both up and down). And adding one layer of indestructible, self repairing material at the bottom. Can it be done in lua, c++ or not?
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

It's possible to add a strip of ringworld high in the atmosphere using a lua mod, but each 80x80x80 chunk will take a couple of minutes to generate, depending on the speed of your computer. This interests me i might try it. Another way is to generate some normal terrain then use worldedit to create space underneath and to either side.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Looks nice. This gave me an idea: it'd be awesome if one could convert heightmaps to Minetest worlds. ;)

Or, is this what you just did?

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

Calinou wrote:Looks nice. This gave me an idea: it'd be awesome if one could convert heightmaps to Minetest worlds. ;)

+1
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

Nice!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Hmm. We seem to be stuck on the idea of noise-based map generation. What if we had a Mapgen class that imported data rather than generating it? We already have a setting for which Mapgen implementation to use. I wonder how difficult it would be to completely replace the notion of noise in a particular subclass....

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Calinou wrote:Looks nice. This gave me an idea: it'd be awesome if one could convert heightmaps to Minetest worlds. ;)
No this is 3d perlin noise :)

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

paramat, your work is pretty impresive. Small-scale, but still impresive.
- - -

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yeah this is a mini ringworld in 'orbit' above minetest world ... generates fast even on my slow old laptop.

Just realised i could tweak my landup mod to modify the existing world by raising the land to create the massive mountain walls on either side. You would like to see 1 km walls? well i'll try ... perhaps 512m ... landup already goes up to 208m.

Now adding thick junglegrass and trees, it's feeling homely, considering ores ... ores in a space colony?
Last edited by paramat on Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Zedm0n

by Zedm0n » Post

Could you replace "noise-gen" with layers of IFS generated fractal patterns? Just a thought...

Zedm0n

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

If this ever works out like a ring I, can Make Halotest! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

But we need, to define gravity, and make the water don't fall down if, it upside down...
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

paramat wrote:Yeah this is a mini ringworld in 'orbit' above minetest world ... generates fast even on my slow old laptop.

Just realised i could tweak my landup mod to modify the existing world by raising the land to create the massive mountain walls on either side. You would like to see 1 km walls? well i'll try ... perhaps 512m ... landup already goes up to 208m.

Now adding thick junglegrass and trees, it's feeling homely, considering ores ... ores in a space colony?
Paramat, heres a suggestion, make the slab world go to -31000, 30000 along one axis (preferably not up.)

Because IRL the world rotates with you so gravity is no issue.
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Mar 27, 2013 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Jordach, yeah this mod goes to +- 31000 along the x axis, the z width of the slab is controllable by parameter, currently i have it at a fairly small 10 to 14 chunks wide for testing, the height is 160 nodes / 2 chunks.

To make it a 'ring' i guess it would be a square ring with 90 degree bends. However for the moment i guess i am considering the x = -31000 to 31000 section just one tiny part of a giant ring, so the vertical and upside-down sections are never seen and never generated. Or, the ring is so huge the 62km generated section has no apparent curvature.
Jordach wrote:Because IRL the world rotates with you so gravity is no issue.
Yeah exactly this, perhaps i could even teleport the player from one end to the other to link the ends while keeping it flat haha.

I called it slabworld because these problems of making it a ring forced me to just make it a slab instead, but with the same cross section as a ringworld. However you can always imagine it to be a small segment of a giant ring if you want to.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I'm probably going to add stores of meseblocks, steelblocks and coal in the mountain walls, but can anyone convince me to include iron ore instead of steelblocks? Are there any mods or crafting recipies which specifically need iron ore? You will be able to break the steelblocks down into iron ingots for your iron needs.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Homedecor does need iron ore for some parts.

As far as the ringworld goes...Nivens is *huge*. An entire minetest map of 30 km^2 is nothing by comparison and would show hardly any effect at all. Maybe the bottom of the world could be done on scale. So no huge lavacaves but scrith.

If there is a way to change the background images, doing so might create a more realistic ringworld because you could see the arch in the sky at night.
A list of my mods can be found here.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Last edited by paramat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

(image removed by paramat)

^ Partially generated 1km tall wall in slabrealm mod, to create a Bishop ring / ringworld space habitat.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

paramat wrote:Image

^ Partially generated 1km tall wall in slabrealm mod, to create a Bishop ring / ringworld space habitat.
* jaw drop*
- - -

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Awesome work Paramat. And they said people from Norfolk are computer illiterate.
*JIZZ*

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

We're all hillbillies here in the agricultural flatlands of Norfolk ... flatbillies?

Leaving this here for reference, only 40m of soil and rock ... this will speed generation a little. Slabrealm mod is actually based on this image, having a foundation of 'slith' that rises with the terrain. Since slith is unbreakable i can get away with not modelling the full depth of scrith or the foamed scrith.

Last edited by paramat on Thu Jul 25, 2013 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Just realised i haven't shown you the progress i made on the unreleased slabworld mod, which is a mini-ringworld with lights and materials buried in 2 colour walls.

Last edited by paramat on Sat Jul 27, 2013 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

I need to get this... even if i have to sell my soul.
- - -

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Luckily my price is lower ... do you mean you want to try slabworld mod? I can provide a link if you want but i'm not going to formally release it. I'm going to carry all the features of slabworld over into slabrealm, such as the 2 colour walls.

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Post

I guess it's safe to crown paramat king of terrain gen.

You come out with some amazing stuff.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks but very unsafe ... i am an absolute beginner in mapgen and have only programmed in BASIC and lua ... as far as i know hmmmm is the Minetest mapgen talent.
Last edited by paramat on Thu Jul 25, 2013 22:38, edited 1 time in total.