Adventures Mod WIP

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

@Chinchow

To account for your situation I need to include a way to initially define a quest. It doesn't even need to be the main quest. For example, it could be something like you start out somewhere deserted and you check your quest log and it tells you to go to town and speak with some guy. From there you might receive the actual main quest or another small quest. That is up to the designer of the map. I think I could fix this easily by actually just adding a boolean variable to define whether or not a quest should be an initial quest or a preceding one. This way you could define a couple of initial quests for the player. I know that didn't answer your question so much but more related I could make certain quests optional by adding another boolean variable for main or secondary.

This actually hasn't been too difficult so far. Github really helps with keeping track of what has changed and what needs to be changed.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Okay well keep up all the good work and can't wait till this mod is completely finished
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

How do you handle communication with NPC? With the recent modifications to Minetest, it is possible to use formspecs for "talking" to NPC or exchanging items. The trader in mobf works very fine. The same method would allow to click on pre-defined answers or type in something to talk to a specific NPC.
A list of my mods can be found here.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Is the show_formspec function in 0.4.4 or is it only in one of the dev builds? I know I heard something about it but it isn't in the 0.4.4 api. Sometimes things haven' been documented yet. I might change over though to one of the dev builds because it is faster and it would allow for things like books, talking npc's, and a slew of other things I could use right now.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It is in a recent dev build and was developed for the trader mob in mobf. Prior to that, it wasn't really possible to handle communications because formspecs couldn't be attached to lua entities like mobs. And formspecs on nodes where stored locally and could not be changed prior to display (i.e. a diffrent formspec for diffrent players wasn't possible). That has changed now. Thus I think that you might definitly be intrested in this new development :-) Have a look at the trader from mobf! Quests and interaction with mobs are the very things this is good for.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Sorry more suggestions
1: a quest chest with an ID set or something
This because what if your mission is to put an item into a certain chest?
2:Time space missions
Like it must be completed be 6000 time
Last edited by Chinchow on Wed Jan 23, 2013 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Chinchow wrote:Sorry more suggestions
1: a quest chest with an ID set or something
This because what if your mission is to put an item into a certain chest?
2:Time space missions
Like it must be completed be 6000 time
I like your ideas but right now I am just trying to get the system working properly. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the ideas. It's just trying to resolve the smaller and more basic problems first before I tackle more complicated parts.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

how about this. making a node that gives you privs temporarily. so you only have shout, interact. then you walk byu the"portal" and you get fast and run down the length of the tunnel. at the end you lose fast caause you are out of the teleporter. the node was made to have its range be the tunnel.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

After moving to the newest dev version of minetest, I am now able to use the show_formspec function which now allows me to create books. In creative mode you can use the command /books to open up the books menu. From there you can define a title you want to give the book and it will create it for you. Once you click on one of the books you created it will open another menu which shows the book's contents and this is where you'll write the story or message. Information from books is saved like everything else, with the /save command. I am thinking of adding another name to the book because currently I register the books by their titles and that can cause issues and limitations. If I add another name to it for registering than the title can be anything you want.

As far as quests go. I have been working on how to get quests to signal if they are completed or not. I am really close I just need to fix a few things.
Last edited by ashenk69 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Quests are finally here. Currently only the "Collect" type is properly implemented. You can define a quest with "Collect" type and it will create a quest that requires the player to collect a certain amount of the defined node. Multiple objectives can be defined per quest by dividing the objective definitions and descriptions by the "|" character. I have not tested if this works but it should.

I can't make a player automatically accept a quest because on_rightclick doesn't register when formspec is shown so I have to still use a button for now. I might be able to create a workaround for it but right now buttons are fine.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Quests are still being progressed forward. A quest can now be defined as Return which makes the player return a certain number of the item defined back to the quest node. The quest node is able to dynamically take care of whether or not it is a Return quest or a collect Quest. On a Return quest it'll display a dropoff inventory slot once the quest is accepted. Any items that are placed there are checked for validity and if they are valid than the correct amount is removed. This way you won't lose items to a never ending hole for an inventory slot. Once a sufficient amount is given to the slot than that objective will be complete. Quests nodes in general also now display whether the quest is accepted, in progress, completed, and turned in. I have also made quests persistent after you close the world. This way players can quit the game and return to the same point they stopped at.