Doctor Who Mod (WIP) [GPLv3]

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

I don't have skype and what is gchat? and I don't know how post on IRC unless I can't find the button, and we can always do pm.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:I don't have skype and what is gchat? and I don't know how post on IRC unless I can't find the button, and we can always do pm.
gchat = google chat (comes with GMail), oh ok, that's fine, we can do PM too :)
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

I. HELP. TEXTURES.
Also, bigger on the inside -> check the nether stuff. i think that'd help.
moving through time -> rollback mod. what do you think?
Last edited by Mito551 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Mito551 wrote:I. HELP. TEXTURES.
Also, bigger on the inside -> check the nether stuff. i think that'd help.
moving through time -> rollback mod. what do you think?
Awesome thanks! Are you talking about portals in the nether mod?

Hmm, I'm not too sure about implementing moving through time, because then griefers could build a TARDIS and then... yeah... xD

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

well, i think nether stuff could help. the idea is somewhat the same, but we don't have to generate different terrain each time.
what textures do you need?
time travel could require permissions?

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

mito551 wrote:time travel could require permissions?
As a CO-Work I think that be a great idea, but we will need make a tool, that allows, to mine the blocks.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Mito551 wrote:well, i think nether stuff could help. the idea is somewhat the same, but we don't have to generate different terrain each time.
what textures do you need?
time travel could require permissions?
Right yeah... and hmm, I'm still not sure, because then we would need a rather large 4-dimensional DB... and it would take time to rollback the whole world...

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

lkjoel wrote:Right yeah... and hmm, I'm still not sure, because then we would need a rather large 4-dimensional DB... and it would take time to rollback the whole world...
Maybe make a copy of 1-4 block(s) (16x16x16 nodes) in a file named "x_y_z_date_time" after issuing a command like "/save_local_continuum"?
Then, if one want to travel back in time, he/she would use some node with a list of possible dates and places in it's formspec.
It would look like worldedit saving/loading parts of a world.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

4aiman wrote:
lkjoel wrote:Right yeah... and hmm, I'm still not sure, because then we would need a rather large 4-dimensional DB... and it would take time to rollback the whole world...
Maybe make a copy of 1-4 block(s) (16x16x16 nodes) in a file named "x_y_z_date_time" after issuing a command like "/save_local_continuum"?
Then, if one want to travel back in time, he/she would use some node with a list of possible dates and places in it's formspec.
It would look like worldedit saving/loading parts of a world.
Uhh.... seems more like a rollback mod, and it would only travel that part back into time... I think I'll just leave it because if not, it could honestly make things utterly weird

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

time travel always does :D

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Mito551 wrote:time travel always does :D
yeah xD

Craft2Death

by Craft2Death » Post

What me think on what was it hmm. oh yeah Do you like to have a Sonic Screwdriver?

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Craft2Death wrote:What me think on what was it hmm. oh yeah Do you like to have a Sonic Screwdriver?
Oh right, yes, thanks for the idea, will add that to the mod!

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

lkjoel wrote:No fancy "look inside" feature (unless someone can show me how to do that in a mod), just simple "punch and get teleported to interior/exterior". Sorry...
How about adding an invisible entity "inside" the TARDIS?
One goes "inside" and the entity checks "on_step" whether there are players "inside" it. If there are, they get teleported.
As for "entering" "inside" TARDIS - just make that node of TARDIS not walkable (e.g. not solid, like in fakeblocks mod).

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

4aiman wrote:
lkjoel wrote:No fancy "look inside" feature (unless someone can show me how to do that in a mod), just simple "punch and get teleported to interior/exterior". Sorry...
How about adding an invisible entity "inside" the TARDIS?
One goes "inside" and the entity checks "on_step" whether there are players "inside" it. If there are, they get teleported.
As for "entering" "inside" TARDIS - just make that node of TARDIS not walkable (e.g. not solid, like in fakeblocks mod).
Right, but then it's even more obvious that it doesn't support "look inside", right? Also, a similar situation to the nether mod's portal can happen (and even I am not happy about them lol)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

"Look inside" would be possible only by using an entity...
It's just insane, but TARDIS may be a bot. There was an episode when she said that it is SHE who decides where to go.
Then It can't be wiped with "/clearobjects" as well as can have ANY mesh, that IS visible from the insides of it ;)
Crafting a block and punch it would result in immediate dig&add back to inventory while teleporting tardis to the summoner.
Yes, this way there would be only 1 TARDIS, but I think that's natural.
To prevent trolling, summon of the TARDIS may be made available only for those, who have the Timelord's watch. Limiting that to only 1 per game is a piece of cake.
Also I suggest using the following scheme:
- remove Timelord's watch from the inventory on log-off;
- if that's not possible (player put the watch into a chest or some other node ) - remove it once ANYONE will possess them;
- once removed, watch can be dropped by a mob again;
- a message about someone picked up the watch should be broadcasted.
I definitely have forgot smth, but feel free to ask and argue (constructively ;)
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Feb 11, 2013 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

4aiman wrote:"Look inside" would be possible only by using an entity...
I still don't get how you could "look inside" from the outside with that... could you enlighten me?
4aiman wrote:It's just insane, but TARDIS may be a bot. There was an episode when she said that it is SHE who decides where to go.
I'm not getting you... why would I do that? The TARDIS does not actually move (it only teleports).
4aiman wrote:Crafting a block and punch it would result in immediate dig&add back to inventory while teleporting tardis to the summoner.
Crafting what kind of block?
4aiman wrote:Yes, this way there would be only 1 TARDIS, but I think that's natural.
Right, but if at all possible, it would be really fun to have multiple TARDISes, because then most trolling and "higher-class exclusion" (similar to mods vs users) could be ruled out
4aiman wrote:To prevent trolling, summon of the TARDIS may be made available only for those, who have the Timelord's watch. Limiting that to only 1 per game is a piece of cake.
I totally agree :D
4aiman wrote:- remove Timelord's watch from the inventory on log-off;
- if that's not possible (player put the watch into a chest or some other node ) - remove it once ANYONE will possess them;
- once removed, watch can be dropped by a mob again;
What about you can only have 1 timelord watch in your inventory, or none if you are already a timelord?
4aiman wrote:- a message about someone picked up the watch should be broadcasted.
Good idea! But maybe only show it once he turned into a timelord? Because if not, say he drops it and takes it, drops, takes, etc..., it could drive the other players crazy :P

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I think that there should be a priv to be a time lord so ad mins/moderators can place as many as they want
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:I think that there should be a priv to be a time lord so ad mins/moderators can place as many as they want
Thanks for the idea! I was about to use "meta-strings", but yeah, that's so much simpler!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Models Made{Still Works}
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Models Made{Still Works}
You made those? Amazing!

Just thinking, maybe we would need to have a low-poly model instead of a high-poly one, because of the nature of minetest? You know, having a pixelated and block-based environment, and suddenly, out of the blue, comes an epicly highly detailed dalek?

That's just perfect world scenario, but if you can't or don't want to, those would be absolutely awesome!
Last edited by lkjoel on Mon Feb 11, 2013 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

I can remake them to Low Poly it will take 3 days though.

Why 3 well it took me a week for High so 3 for maybe low, and do textures.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:I can remake them to Low Poly it will take 3 days though.

Why 3 well it took me a week for High so 3 for maybe low, and do textures.
Thank you so much!!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Your's welcome.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Your's welcome.
:D

On another note, I have finished a basic concept of the TARDIS. Now time to add basic features (like locking, etc...), and then I'm going to work on the inside!