An idea for making 3D players that are better than those of Minecraft.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

An idea for making 3D players that are better than those of Minecraft.

by Inocudom » Post

Sometimes, the current 3D player models get old, for they resemble the ones in Minecraft. I feel that player models that resemble the ones in RPG Maker 2 would be more unique and cuter. It would be nice if such a mod was made, though this mod could have a variety of other model types as well. These model types could have their own sound effects and even expressions. They could be simple player models just like the ones in RPG Maker 2 or various Nintendo 64 games. If you are wondering what the player models in RPG Maker 2 look like, watch the video on Youtube below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fXX-ly1UFA
A mod with similar player models would be a step in the direction of making Minetest more unique. You might hate them due to the fact that they are not cubes, but neither are some of the models in the animals_modpack mod.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Apr 30, 2013 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Currently we have the advantage that we can use the skins that are created by the MC community.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Sounds like a fun mod to work on. Open up blender and go for it! :-)

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

sorry no just no

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Hmm. I suggest ignoring the negativity. There's ALWAYS room for developing a mod. If people don't like it they won't use it, but that doesn't mean you can't, or others won't. If it's something you'll enjoy creating or using, don't let anyone hold you back. Once you get it working, posting it here with some screenshots may well get people interested enough to try it out, and they may love it.

Personally I don't think the argument that we can use Minecraft skins is a very strong one. It's probably good for the default game, or as an OPTION for the default game, but if we can develop good models and skins that have nothing to do with Minecraft, I think it would be a good thing. This is an area people don't seem to touch much, so it would be good to see more folks working on it.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

An idea I have for the player models is that hair and clothes function as alpha layers that can be edited rather easily (and perhaps faces too.)

The code that binds current player models to players will probably work for other types of player models as well. I wonder if 4aiman can create the kind of player model that I have in mind? He is very good at 3D modeling.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Anyway I didn't find ANY minecraft skin (except the one in default mod) that are licensed under a free license (usually there is no information about the license), so they can't be used...
And yes, it would be good to have models different from minecraft.
What about having the choice of your model ? This way, the current model and the 2d player would still be available...
This could be easily implemented (it is done in my skins mod and in the classes mod), just needs a few models :P
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Having a choice of what model to use is a good idea, but a base model should probably be made as well. I created this topic to bring forth the idea of new player models. I'm not good with coding and modeling myself, so hopefully there are people that can do this. My primary contributions (if you can call them that) are ideas and inspiration.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

If someone is building an incompatible model, might I recommend making it possible to make the limbs not be required to mirror themselves? I'd love to be able to make the left arm and leg different from the right ones.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

0gb.us wrote:If someone is building an incompatible model, might I recommend making it possible to make the limbs not be required to mirror themselves? I'd love to be able to make the left arm and leg different from the right ones.
+1
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

I tried going for semi-realism in Blender, and it turned out to be a total headache. Nobody wants a 8 MB mesh to load and then kill off their GPU.

EditL I might work on a person holding an object. Anyone want pickazes/blocks/sporting equipment/antennas/etc?
Last edited by rarkenin on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:I tried going for semi-realism in Blender, and it turned out to be a total headache. Nobody wants a 8 MB mesh to load and then kill off their GPU.

EditL I might work on a person holding an object. Anyone want pickazes/blocks/sporting equipment/antennas/etc?
YES YES YES MAKE PLAYERS HOLD OBJECTS AND MAYBE ACTUALLY MAKE 3D ARMOR.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

I can't really say I like more realistic-looking models in this kind of game. Blocky models look more "at home" in voxel-based games.
IMHO you should make a blocky model that animates more parts than MC (for example, make it have joints like elbows and knees). Other than that, it would be nice if you added a few "extras" like allow separate texturing of both sides of the body like 0gb.us said, and maybe an area to draw items held on both hands.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Tedypig
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Post

Nope nope nope. Boxy players should stay. It is how ALL (that I know) sandbox games are and should be. Why have a boxy world and round/smooth player? It just wont match. -100
01010100 01100101 01100100 01111001 01110000 01101001 01100111

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

The mesh I am offering now is blocky, with a few adjustments and will have an object(fixed and unchangeable) in hand.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

rarkenin wrote:The mesh I am offering now is blocky, with a few adjustments and will have an object(fixed and unchangeable) in hand.
This is exciting news. Show us pictures of the model when you can.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Inocudom wrote:
rarkenin wrote:The mesh I am offering now is blocky, with a few adjustments and will have an object(fixed and unchangeable) in hand.
This is exciting news. Show us pictures of the model when you can.
It will be some time as I have intense studies this week, but a week off next week when I can work on it.

moukotiger

by moukotiger » Post

I think keeping a blocky style would be good, but to give the play elbows and knees and proper animations to make it different.
maybe a few more polies to get a slightly more rounded look, but still very low poly.
With careful unwrapping, minecraft skins should be usable as well.

I wonder if the focus should be on a standard armature and animation set which different meshes can be parented to.
I haven't looked at any files yet ( I'm new ).
What is the preferred format for such models?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

moukotiger wrote:I think keeping a blocky style would be good, but to give the play elbows and knees and proper animations to make it different.
maybe a few more polies to get a slightly more rounded look, but still very low poly.
With careful unwrapping, minecraft skins should be usable as well.

I wonder if the focus should be on a standard armature and animation set which different meshes can be parented to.
I haven't looked at any files yet ( I'm new ).
What is the preferred format for such models?
The .x format is best. Blender as an export plugin for that format.

Speaking of this, I am working on a similar model, with good progress. The UV is sucky though, if anyone wants to remake it, go ahead once I publish it.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

The mesh is almost done, except the head and face which are a little buggy.

And one from behind:
And one more from the side:

I'll upload the mesh and UV template if anyone wants it. I just want to finish it first.
Last edited by rarkenin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:The mesh is almost done, except the head and face which are a little buggy.

I'll upload the mesh and UV template if anyone wants it. I just want to finish it first.
will it be the same skins as before?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:The mesh is almost done, except the head and face which are a little buggy.

No, it will not. It has its own(really painful and annoying) UV layout. If anyone wants to clean up the UV unwrapping when I'm done, feel free.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:

No, it will not. It has its own(really painful and annoying) UV layout. If anyone wants to clean up the UV unwrapping when I'm done, feel free.
someone needs to make an in browser skin maker then. Or you could assign a color to each side and give us that.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

And another shot of the mesh walking/running:

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

I'm too lazy to get the files up today, I'll have them up tomorrow. I can also start making textures for people after some further testing.