Idea for lava mod(s)

Zedm0n

Idea for lava mod(s)

by Zedm0n » Post

I am not sure if these are even possible, but I think they could add a lot of fun to the game.

First, a mod that creates water instead of lava in areas close to the surface to create underground lakes. This would not remove all lava close to the surface, just some of it. The deeper you go the more likely you are to find lava instead of water.

Second, a volcano mod that allows lava close to the surface to erupt every several game days. Eruption durration and amount would be random. Lava on the surface would cool over a few game days and turn into stone with a high chance of ore deposites and lava that touches water would cool on contact. Also, lava could melt dirt, sand, and stone less than 3 blocks thick at a rate of about one block per game hour.

Is it possible?

Zedm0n

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

Zedm0n wrote:I am not sure if these are even possible, but I think they could add a lot of fun to the game.

First, a mod that creates water instead of lava in areas close to the surface to create underground lakes. This would not remove all lava close to the surface, just some of it. The deeper you go the more likely you are to find lava instead of water.

Second, a volcano mod that allows lava close to the surface to erupt every several game days. Eruption durration and amount would be random. Lava on the surface would cool over a few game days and turn into stone with a high chance of ore deposites and lava that touches water would cool on contact. Also, lava could melt dirt, sand, and stone less than 3 blocks thick at a rate of about one block per game hour.

Is it possible?

Zedm0n
I like the idea of the volcano mod. You could have lava randomly rise for a while and randomly stop. In addition to this it would be nice if volcanoes with lava in them where generated on the surface. That way, if you built next to a volcano you would not know when it would go off :D, and since it would not always be rising I think that would prevent lagging to some degree, especially if lava cooling was implemented correctly (You would have to prevent the lava from cooling at the bottom of a volcano though).

It would also be nice to have settings like:
1. The ability to change how common volcanoes are.
2. The ability to increase the chance of eruption.
3. Adjust how quick the lava cools.

My guess would be to use minetest.register_abm (although I know very very little about minetest.register_abm)
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
- Charles Spurgeon

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

After thinking about it more I think you might be able to make a pretty decent volcano mod that would allow the volcano to erupt more than once without clogging the volcano with stone.

First, you would have two different lava source blocks, a permanent one and a temporary one. The permanent lava source block type would not have a abm for lava cooling, but the temporary lava source block type would.

Second, you would have the map generator create volcanoes in the map that would have permanent lava source blocks inside at the bottom. (Although I know very little about the map generator at the moment).

Third, you would create an abm that has a very small chance to have permanent lava source blocks replace "air" blocks beside them with temporary lava source blocks. You would also have an abm that causes temparary lava source blocks to replace "air" blocks at a decent speed.

Fourth, you have an abm that has a chance to "cool" (change to molten rock) the temporary lava source blocks. You also would have a check in place that detects molten rock adjacent to temporary lava source blocks, if so, change them to molten rock (this would stop the lava by changing all temporary lava source blocks and flowing ones to molten rock). Eventually, all the molten rock will disappear (using an abm).

The reason you would have the molten rock disappear instead of turn to stone, is so the volcano could erupt sometime in the future again :D.

Note: you might (not sure) be able to get away with having an abm that changes only temporary lava flowing blocks to a type of molten rock that turns to stone without clogging the volcano or stopping the eruption. Also, with all these abm functions I am not sure how bad the lag would be.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
- Charles Spurgeon

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Using the finite liquids would allow you to be able to have a bunch spawn at the top of the volcano and then the rest would fall. Also a world edit schematic could be used for the building of the volcano.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right