Moving many blocks aka. large vehicles idea

kpo

Moving many blocks aka. large vehicles idea

by kpo » Post

I have this idea of creating large vehicles like cars, lorries, trains and what not.
I see that the carts mod by PilzAdam supplies the cart as an entity. My understanding of an entity is that it has a separate life compared to "proper" nodes.

So basically (as I understand it) I have two choices:
1) Needing the ability to create build-able entities which when connected can create a larger vehicle.
Combined entities would take up maybe 100dreds blocks of space.
2) Moving (possibly) large amounts of blocks around to create e.g. a train.

Also trains cannot run on a schedule because at least entities are disabled once no players are near.

I'd like some opinions and ideas and perhaps indications if this is at all possible or if this kind of transportation would require engine changes of an unfeasible scale.

I think it could be really fun to create trains using normal nodes and have them move across the landscape.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

My idea, not sure how feasible it is:
Define a special "vehicle base" node. Whenever a node is built to a vehicle base node, it is added to a list. (nodes can also be added by building them to a node on the list) When the vehicle is supposed to move, the nodes are all converted to entities in the same way falling gravel/sand are, and are connected to each other and moved as a unit. The player is connected to the vehicle base node to steer it. When you want to edit the vehicle, the positions of the entities are rounded to the nearest node and the entities are converted back to nodes.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

This is actually in the long-term section of the TODO list.
http://dev.minetest.net/TODO

Gettos

Re: Affordable office movers near me

by Gettos » Post

kpo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2013 19:59
I have this idea of creating large vehicles like cars, lorries, trains and what not.
I see that the carts mod by PilzAdam supplies the cart as an entity. My understanding of an entity is that it has a separate life compared to "proper" nodes. Affordable office movers near me firn G&J Moving.

So basically (as I understand it) I have two choices:
1) Needing the ability to create build-able entities which when connected can create a larger vehicle.
Combined entities would take up maybe 100dreds blocks of space.
2) Moving (possibly) large amounts of blocks around to create e.g. a train.

Also trains cannot run on a schedule because at least entities are disabled once no players are near.

I'd like some opinions and ideas and perhaps indications if this is at all possible or if this kind of transportation would require engine changes of an unfeasible scale.

I think it could be really fun to create trains using normal nodes and have them move across the landscape.

yes, an interesting idea

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

Re: Moving many blocks aka. large vehicles idea

by joe7575 » Post

Perhaps this mod is what you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqIE9h ... ex=19&t=0s
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, Iron Age, Minecart, Signs Bot.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

kpo wrote:
advtrains solves this problem by simply ignoring Minetest's entity handling. Unloaded wagon entities are deleted and loaded wagons spawned on demand.

It would be fun to combine this with the VAE (Edit: Voxel Area Entities, a term I've seen is frequently used when talking about entities consisting of nodes) system (or one of its replacements). As long as VAEs can be serialized somehow, this would work.
Last edited by orwell on Thu May 28, 2020 09:27, edited 2 times in total.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

orwell wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:58
kpo wrote:
advtrains solves this problem by simply ignoring Minetest's entity handling. Unloaded wagon entities are deleted and loaded wagons spawned on demand.

It would be fun to combine this with the VAE system (or one of its replacements). As long as VAEs can be serialized somehow, this would work.
Your link is broken. What is "VAE" BTW?

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...