[Modpack]scientific[0.0] [scientific]

ch98

[Modpack]scientific[0.0] [scientific]

by ch98 » Post

This is a plan for making scientific modpack. This is to make a mod starting with every element known to science then simple compounds and complicated ones. This mod should also add new ores for making it as close as possible to our real life science. all elements would have natural source as close as reality and all chemical reactions simple enough for minetest to run. but.....
I need help!!!
I need to know how to use github, and to make this complicated of a mod I need a lot of people working on it.

github

Please share Ideas! we need to start at planning what to do to even start!

Also tell me if you want to help in github (I may know how to)
Last edited by ch98 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I'm a big fan of adding science based mods. I don't think a mod pack is the solutions. Why not have different mods for different disciplines. Then hopefully one day you can make a modpack out of all them science mods. But you can checout and maybe contribute to the chemistry mod that I initiated. Also the terminal mod that i just finished is kinda sciency although it does not explain how things work and how to use. It requires some knowledge of the OS. Maybe extending it may give beginners a nice way to learn command line interfaces and maybe bash scripting.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

So will this be like MineChem, a Minecraft mod?
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Post

There's an unimaginable amount of concept work that would go into this.

Let's use helium as an example element. Helium is commonly extracted from natural gas. From that knowledge we need to figure out how we'll spawn natural gas. How to extract the natural gas in the game. Also what other uses natural gas could provide. Then consider how to separate the helium from natural gas in the game. Plus determine what to do with the helium once we have it.

To say it's ambitious is a bit of an understatement.

by 1244 » Post

I am working for few months on chemistry mod. Now I am working to add acceleators.
Link to this mod:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4779
I change screenshots soon.
Last edited by 1244 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
My mods:
Barrels, Chemistry

ch98

by ch98 » Post

I am planning to use as much of stuff in default mod as possible like anything that uses heat can be done in special container with starting material in it in to furnace makes ending material in special container. These will reduce amount of code and make way less special equipments. Also, for gas that is heavier than air, you can use thin liquid with almost no color and for lighter ones, a clear walk through node that rises not falls. Also, I am planning to make layers of different gas over 5000 m and 15000 m and turn it in to vacuum where it is hazardous to human over 15000 m or so. This mod changes minetest's law of physics a little different too. Also, if I want to keep this a different mod, I need to make every mod dependent to every other mod and develop everything at a time so it is simpler for it to be 1 huge mod pack.
Last edited by ch98 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Thermal_Shock wrote:There's an unimaginable amount of concept work that would go into this.

Let's use helium as an example element. Helium is commonly extracted from natural gas. From that knowledge we need to figure out how we'll spawn natural gas. How to extract the natural gas in the game. Also what other uses natural gas could provide. Then consider how to separate the helium from natural gas in the game. Plus determine what to do with the helium once we have it.

that is why we need to start from tools and work starting at how to make default solid, liquid and gas elements. then start from 1 element (which may take up a whole mod) then work out what is needed for that element to exist. That will make an fairly understandable way of building this mod and continuing it.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

also, can someone help me how to use commandline git with github?

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

ch98 wrote:also, can someone help me how to use commandline git with github?
http://git-scm.com/book

ch98

by ch98 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
ch98 wrote:also, can someone help me how to use commandline git with github?
http://git-scm.com/book
thank you. found out about git gui

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Do you think WTFPL is good license for this?

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:So will this be like MineChem, a Minecraft mod?
MineChem looks cool. Allot of tedious clicking and reading what exactly is possible in the mod. I preffer my still buggy version because it is simplified but has(can have) a for minetest practical function. It allows to turn nodes into other nodes. So if you know chemistry a bit you can get nodes without having to find the node you are looking for in the world but nodes that contain the elements for the node you want.

I do need some help with registering all the crafts. Help will be appreciated. Plus i could use the fresh perspective of a developer. This mod has potential to be educative. fun and even handy for crafting.

https://github.com/bas080/chemistry

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Thermal_Shock wrote:There's an unimaginable amount of concept work that would go into this.

That's why i think it is important for mods to make use of the existing gameplay and not something completely new. It makes the content of the mod relevant to the players that know the existing gameplay. For example the MineChem mod does not make any sense! Why would i want to mix the chemicals? Does it have a goal in the game? I think not. It's way to much clicking without results.

Save your time and think of something that fits the existing game goals better instead of making own goals. For most people the game is about aquiring nodes. So why not make chemistry mod with which you can aquire all minetest nodes. You can always add new special chemistry nodes later or make an "api" which allows the adding of chemistry nodes.

by 1244 » Post

Mixing chemicals can be useful if we want to create some other items. For example we can change sand to stone and
vice versa.
My mods:
Barrels, Chemistry

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

1244 wrote:Mixing chemicals can be useful if we want to create some other items. For example we can change sand to stone and
vice versa.
I think you understand what I am trying to say. There are no mods that really allow you to do this for many nodes.

by 1244 » Post

You are right but there are mods which are developed. It's only a matter of time when this mods support more nodes.
My mods:
Barrels, Chemistry

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

1244, please share your knowledge

by 1244 » Post

For now are 2 chemistry mods:
yours mod:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4758 which is not now developing
And mine:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4779 which I still developing, I add to this liquefied gases soon.
In this mod exist molecular crafting which allow you to change chemistry substances into items.
Additionally you can put cobble to this machine and get random ores because this machine can search and extract atoms of metals from cobble. Also you can make silicon wafers from sand. This mod also allows you to make more ingots from ores. You must only put ores into distiller next break substances in which metals are trapped in acetylene burner. For the end you must put test-tubes with metals into molecular crafting. In this process you can get 2 ingots from 1 ore. This process supports all ores from default game and technic excluding uranium. When I finish acceleators you can make gold from water or anything else. You only must colide two lighter elemnts to get one heavier. But this process requires advanced technology and huge amount of energy.
Last edited by 1244 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
My mods:
Barrels, Chemistry

ch98

by ch98 » Post

I was planning to make all 100 and some elements at oneth to start with and an way for people to easily make new compounds from all scientific elements but to do this, I need some extra compounds for element material, tools, and new physics to work. Also I want to make way more ores, and different rocks as a compound and I want to create Heat melting point and boiling point. Heat may damage you or kill you instantly and all nodes has heat values that effect surrounding nodes. Also if possible, there should be different types of lights and radiations we can not see but does effect surrounding environments. If I add pressure values to gasses and make new vacuum node, that acts like air now and appears when there is no node, I may be able to simulate clouds and rains scientifically. (unfortunately, rain may be big blocks of water falling from the sky.)
Last edited by ch98 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Few questions.......

1. How do you control gravity? I want to make this scientific so gravity control by high is needed and flipping gravity (floating up) is needed to make science fiction stuff in science fiction setting.

2. Is it possible to make a mirror? I may need some light reflected off an polish metal surface. (maybe invisible player like thing that acts opposite of how we move for every player so it will show what it sees in mirror)

3. Is it possible to make completely new substance (nodes) in world so we wouldn't have to mod all millions of substance making this biggest mod. Maybe randomly choose new substance/alloy's property inside the law of science and store it in a text file every time new substance is made. Also, common chemicals included in text file from start and some other chemical text files for download.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

And to top it off, I'm working (secretly) on 1244's mod. I think the next best thing is to merge all of them, unless, there is some critical difference in opinion among the mod devs
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

ch98

by ch98 » Post

is it possible to create image with lua or register new node in game?
Last edited by ch98 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

ch98 wrote:is it possible to create image with lua or register new node in game?
Short answer: No and no.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

ch98

by ch98 » Post

How do i put multiple information in a node?
Last edited by ch98 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

ch98 wrote:How do i put multiple information in a node?
Look here: http://dev.minetest.net/NodeMetaRef

get_meta and set_string and such are two of the lua commands you need.