[Mod] Car extension for StreetsMod (ALPHA)[cars]

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

Re: [Mod] Car extension for StreetsMod (ALPHA)[cars]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Jordach wrote:I figured out something with the cars moving if you have multiple out:

Use

Code: Select all

local variablename = "string text or number"
Once the variables are local, they will NOT ACT AND INTERFERE WITH OTHER CARS OF THE SAME COLOUR!
You mean inside the entity definition?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
Jordach wrote:I figured out something with the cars moving if you have multiple out:

Use

Once the variables are local, they will NOT ACT AND INTERFERE WITH OTHER CARS OF THE SAME COLOUR!
Yes. As well as in the functions else where. Any sort of leak like that can affect everything else, that's why the mobs in simple mobs don't move in the same directions.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Jordach wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:

Use

Yes. As well as in the functions else where. Any sort of leak like that can affect everything else, that's why the mobs in simple mobs don't move in the same directions.
Thank you for trying to help! But now I did it the same way as in boats (or is there something I didn't see?), and it still moves all cars... Here's the code

jacobwellz

by jacobwellz » Post

Doesn't work fales to load and run please fix

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

jacobwellz wrote:Doesn't work fales to load and run please fix
Okay, how do you expect anyone to fix anything with just a "fales to load and run please fix"? Give us more information.

jacobwellz

by jacobwellz » Post

OK I'll give you more info im on android tablet (Acer iconier b1) and it works but when its loading media it turns off mine test (world craft) I don't know what the problem is I renamed it to cars still not working. Is that enough info? And I got the streets mod too

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

jacobwellz wrote:OK I'll give you more info im on android tablet (Acer iconier b1) and it works but when its loading media it turns off mine test (world craft) I don't know what the problem is I renamed it to cars still not working. Is that enough info? And I got the streets mod too
I'm runnning this on a quite recent Minetest build for Windows any it works fine. My first guess would be that your Android build is outdated and the mod uses methods it doesn't know. It would be great if you could post some error data from debug.txt (if available on Android).

jacobwellz

by jacobwellz » Post

I don't know where that debug.text is but my android version is 1.4.2 if it helps

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

jacobwellz wrote:I don't know where that debug.text is but my android version is 1.4.2 if it helps
I never used an Android build before. Maybe ask a dev where the file is? Can you at least tell me which Minetest version you run?

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

A few suggestions. You definitely need reverse - if you run into a corner you can't get out again.
Also any chance of renaming it to something other than "cars" which conflicts with an already existing mod. melcar seems like a good name, why not use that?
Finally I know it's not correct physics, but what about enabling it to drive up at least one layer of blocks - the other "cars" mod is able to do this, but slows down the more blocks you climb?
Are your cars going to be robotic so you can see them driving around the streets?

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

About reverse: Planned :)
About renaming: Nah, just rename it to whatever you like. There won't be any naming conflicts because the car and its spawner are in "streets" namespace. When this gets added to my StreetsMod, it'll have a unique name.
About jumping: Cars don't jump, but this one has a stepheight which allows going up at least slabs.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:About reverse: Planned :)
About renaming: Nah, just rename it to whatever you like. There won't be any naming conflicts because the car and its spawner are in "streets" namespace. When this gets added to my StreetsMod, it'll have a unique name.
About jumping: Cars don't jump, but this one has a stepheight which allows going up at least slabs.
There are two mods named the same, it loads only one of them. If the other one was in the mod folder, it would only load that one, and not your one which is in a modpack. See Lua API for the load priority.

Tldr: there will be a conflict because of the way mt loads mods.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:About jumping: Cars don't jump, but this one has a stepheight which allows going up at least slabs.
The problem with only going up slabs (= half height nodes) is the entire world consists of nodes, so the car can't go anywhere unless you create a road. I'd normally expect my 'real' car to drive up a slope in a field, but these one's can't do the minetest equivalent which makes them pretty useless. Only a suggestion, but I think it will severely inhibit the uptake of your mod if you get too hung up on 'physics' (after all minetest physics isn't real either).

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

dgm5555 wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:About jumping: Cars don't jump, but this one has a stepheight which allows going up at least slabs.
The problem with only going up slabs (= half height nodes) is the entire world consists of nodes, so the car can't go anywhere unless you create a road. I'd normally expect my 'real' car to drive up a slope in a field, but these one's can't do the minetest equivalent which makes them pretty useless. Only a suggestion, but I think it will severely inhibit the uptake of your mod if you get too hung up on 'physics' (after all minetest physics isn't real either).
I can unserstand this point :) Maybe it's just that I'm too influenced by physics being one of my main courses at school ;)
An alternative to think about would be to offer additional Off-Road vehicles which have a higher stepheight :) What do you think?

thetoon

by thetoon » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:An alternative to think about would be to offer additional Off-Road vehicles which have a higher stepheight :) What do you think?
Or maybe increasing stepheight over a given momentum. So that a car could drive up full-height nodes, but only with enough "run up".

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:An alternative to think about would be to offer additional Off-Road vehicles which have a higher stepheight :) What do you think?
I agree with this too - you'd never take a ferrari off-roading, but a landrover would happily go up a 35deg incline. You pick your car for your planned usage.
thetoon wrote:Or maybe increasing stepheight over a given momentum. So that a car could drive up full-height nodes, but only with enough "run up".
This is the system used on one of the other cars mods (which I thought was a reasonable compromise) - the cars get slower the more nodes they go up and eventually can't climb any more. So if there are too many nodes steps close together (effectively a steeper incline) you'll lose too much momentum and stop. However I'm starting to wonder what the defining difference between the other mods and this one are going to be. Why did you choose not to just fork one of them and create some new meshes, and make your tweaks based on that code?

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

dgm5555 wrote:
I agree with this too - you'd never take a ferrari off-roading, but a landrover would happily go up a 35deg incline. You pick your car for your planned usage.
thetoon wrote:Or maybe increasing stepheight over a given momentum. So that a car could drive up full-height nodes, but only with enough "run up".
This is the system used on one of the other cars mods (which I thought was a reasonable compromise) - the cars get slower the more nodes they go up and eventually can't climb any more. So if there are too many nodes steps close together (effectively a steeper incline) you'll lose too much momentum and stop. However I'm starting to wonder what the defining difference between the other mods and this one are going to be. Why did you choose not to just fork one of them and create some new meshes, and make your tweaks based on that code?
this mod is not much older than other car mods, I just paused development ;)

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Ok, here's another physics update:

- Improved behaviour in liquids (sink slower)
- Don't accelerate on non-solids
- Also decelerate when no driver is inside
- Improved eye offsets in 3rd person mode

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:About renaming: Nah, just rename it to whatever you like. There won't be any naming conflicts because the car and its spawner are in "streets" namespace. When this gets added to my StreetsMod, it'll have a unique name.
I finally remembered the location of the no-duplicate-name directive: http://dev.minetest.net/Mod_name_conflicts If you keep the same name as another pre-existing mod, at the very least you will increase your likelyhood of users getting confused, at worst significant conflict (as I noted above) PS I'm only bringing it up as it took me a while to figure out why a mod wasn't working for exactly that reason.
Last edited by dgm5555 on Mon May 26, 2014 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

dgm5555 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:About renaming: Nah, just rename it to whatever you like. There won't be any naming conflicts because the car and its spawner are in "streets" namespace. When this gets added to my StreetsMod, it'll have a unique name.
I finally remembered the location of the no-duplicate-name directive: http://dev.minetest.net/Mod_name_conflicts If you keep the same name as another pre-existing mod, at the very least you will increase your likelyhood of users getting confused, at worst significant conflict (as I noted above)
I renamed it to streetscars for now :) But I'm sure it won't be long until it gets included in StreetsMod ;)

Brockenflabel

by Brockenflabel » Post

I tried installing this mod into Adventuretest but it gave me an error. Maybe it's
not designed to work with Adventuretest ?

Anyways here's the debug;

11:03:12: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
11:03:12: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
11:03:12: ERROR[main]:

C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua:

...minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua:11: attempt to

concatenate a nil value
11:03:12: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

...minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua:11: in main

chunk
11:03:12: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA

========
11:03:12: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run

C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua
11:03:13: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run

C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Brockenflabel wrote:C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua:
rename the folder to "cars"
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Krock wrote:
Brockenflabel wrote:C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFANMOD2\bin\..\mods\streetscars\init.lua:
rename the folder to "cars"
Correct :)

Brockenflabel

by Brockenflabel » Post

Thanks, it ran without error.....but now how do I craft it? There is nothing
in the readme about crafting recipes?

Thanks.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Brockenflabel wrote:Thanks, it ran without error.....but now how do I craft it? There is nothing
in the readme about crafting recipes?

Thanks.
There is no craft yet, you have to use creative mode to spawn a car. Please also note that there's no reverse gear yet.