Once upon a time

mectus11

Once upon a time

by mectus11 » Post

Hello, you may find this topic quite an odd choice but believe me just read this and it will suck you right in.
I'm a software developer that really enjoys programming, I thought I'd branch out to game modding and your game caught my eye but there's an issue, I don't know much about Lua, I have created a mod that I'm working on but I'm finding difficulties such as getting to form my own personal tree that has a use in my specific mod.

What I'm looking for is a mentor with great expertise that can guide me and help me to create a good mod to deliver you guys, what would be nice aswell if someone with texturing experience would join in so we could form a team.

Please note that I have experience with web development, C# and VB.Net and I'd love to branch out to gaming mods, thanks for reading this and leave your insights in this topic.
Sup, I'm Fadi and you're reading this.
Main project
My mod

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

mectus11 wrote:Hello, you may find this topic quite an odd choice but believe me just read this and it will suck you right in.
I'm a software developer that really enjoys programming, I thought I'd branch out to game modding and your game caught my eye but there's an issue, I don't know much about Lua, I have created a mod that I'm working on but I'm finding difficulties such as getting to form my own personal tree that has a use in my specific mod.

What I'm looking for is a mentor with great expertise that can guide me and help me to create a good mod to deliver you guys, what would be nice aswell if someone with texturing experience would join in so we could form a team.

Please note that I have experience with web development, C# and VB.Net and I'd love to branch out to gaming mods, thanks for reading this and leave your insights in this topic.
You're probably better off just posting questions and just putting your code out there before the Mod is done. Then look at the Modding guide. There are lots of folks here who will help you out.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Regarding trees: The moretrees mod may be helpful there. For general modding, the file doc/lua_api.txt contains the necessary documentation. Reading other mods that do something similar to what you have in mind also helps a lot. You can also join the channel #minetest on the freenode irc network and ask questions there.
A list of my mods can be found here.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I would just post a topic saying "Help wanted: On ________ (subject eg: spawning trees/monsters/whatever.)" in modding general.

Edit: I also do a lot of html/css/jquery coding for friends, although I haven't uploaded any of mine online. I'm also using wordpress for helping a teacher on his lacrosse website.
Last edited by philipbenr on Fri Nov 15, 2013 01:10, edited 1 time in total.