[Mod] Unlimited floatland layer realm [0.3.0] [floatindev]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

[Mod] Unlimited floatland layer realm [0.3.0] [floatindev]

by paramat » Post

Download and rename to 'floatindev' https://github.com/paramat/floatindev/a ... master.zip
Browse code https://github.com/paramat/floatindev

floatindev 0.3.0 by paramat
For latest stable Minetest back to 0.4.8
Depends default
Licenses: code WTFPL

Creates a floatland realm above the clouds, the floatland layers are stacked 640 nodes apart, the central widest point of the first layer is at y = 288.

CLUSAV and CLUSAM control the floatland size and number over large scales (a 2km scale by default), these need tuning, currently they are set to zero for no variation. CLUSAV is the average offset value, -1 would make floatlands small and rare. CLUSAM is the amplitude of the variation and should be no larger than roughly 1.
Possible good values for these might be CLUSAV = -0.5 and CLUSAM = 0.5, this would vary floatland size / number from normal (as seen in the screenshots) to small and rare.
Last edited by paramat on Mon Jun 16, 2014 00:36, edited 5 times in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Uh, that looks nice, sadly it creates alot of shadows :/
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yep and there will be shadow glitches too, due to MT's simple lighting system. It seems that stacked realms will be eventually included in default mapgen v7, and so hopefully there will be some work done on shadows.
From my own tests i discovered that shadows will only propagate down through a world if you generate the realm first and travel downwards, this means a previously generated chunk can never be darkened by a realm generated afterwards above.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

paramat wrote:Yep and there will be shadow glitches too, due to MT's simple lighting system. It seems that stacked realms will be eventually included in default mapgen v7
Like that thing I tried to do with moonrealm and multiple alien realms? Multiplayer just killed it last time, hopefully v7 ill be faster :-)
paramat wrote: From my own tests i discovered that shadows will only propagate down through a world if you generate the realm first and travel downwards, this means a previously generated chunk can never be darkened by a realm generated afterwards above.
I thought we fixed that with asteroid?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Some lighting glitches were fixed when you reset water level to the base of the world, but there are still inherent lighting bugs caused by which order, upwards or downwards, the chunks are generated. However hmmmm has some basic plans for shadow decay, and distant plans for an 'aether' style realm and a 'nether' underworld, which i think would be cool to name after a Finnish underworld.

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

The Cool mod

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] The floatin' dev mod [0.3.0] [floatindev]

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.0
Unlimited size layers stacked 640 nodes apart.
No more biomes, nodes imported from original flolands mod.
Tunnels (from intersect mod) replace the previous caves and create access to the large central voids in the larger float islands.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jan 06, 2015 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Neat to see the base of my skylands mod brought back to life! Also cool to see you bring back the original floatlands biome, it certainly adds an otherworldly feel to the islands. However, some sort of decoration or vegetation would be cool...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

For some strange reason the floatlands are generating (as seen in terminal) but nothing appears on the map... I've been flying around for 30 minutes now in the same region and nothing like the screenshot has appeared ?!?!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yes the layers are 640 nodes apart so can be hard to find, i should state the altitude of the first layer centre in the first post, it's at y = 288, then 928 and every 640n above. The first layer can actually occasionally reach ground level, creating a route up. If you prefer them to start higher, set YMIN to 608 (or n * 640 nodes above that), this is border between the first 2 layers.

At y = 288 only half the area is floatland, the spaces between can be up to 400 nodes across, also don't fly too fast otherwise everything generates behind you after you've moved on.

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] Unlimited floatland layer realm [0.3.0] [floatinde

by paramat » Post