[Mod] Taint [1.1] [taint]

scifiboi

[Mod] Taint [1.1] [taint]

by scifiboi » Post

Taint is a mod based on the taint from Thaumcraft 2. It starts when someone places a taint block (currently only available in creative). When someone places a taint block, it starts spreading rather slowly, but as more blocks become tainted, it spreads at a more rapid pace. Taint affects dirt, grass, trees, apples, sand and stone, so it spreads underground too. The only way to stop taint is to break blocks that border tainted blocks. Tainted blocks are unbreakable except for leaves and apples.

Depends:

License:
WTFPL

The mod has no use, I just like watching taint spread. Looks pretty cool and gives me a strange feeling of satisfaction. Not sure if I wanna extend the mod and give it kindof a story, or just leave it like it is. Any suggestions are welcome.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lobjeb1yr54clr/taint.zip
Last edited by scifiboi on Wed Mar 12, 2014 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
My mod: Thaumtest

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

Interesting mod. Here is a screenshot if anyone wants to see what it looks like:

scifiboi

by scifiboi » Post

Aha! I knew I forgot something in the first post! :)

yaman

by yaman » Post

I had tried to make something like this, but due to my impaired coding skills, I couldn't. Great job! Some ideas are a pure block that spreads only on tainted blocks. and a temple/structure that might randomly spawn somewhere on the tainted block. In the temple, which might be made out of something really expensive(mese blocks) is one pure block on a pedestal of... something. For the tainted block, there should be a crafting recipe but really expensive. Ultimately, you corrupt your world, so you can find the temple which would give you even more wealth than you needed to craft the tainted block. if you want this is my mod. Not much is uploaded but you get the general idea. Again, very nice mod!

Edit: Oh yes, one more thing, the tainted block should be unbreakable. Also maybe faster spread rate?
Edit Edit: oh I see it is already is.
Last edited by yaman on Fri Mar 07, 2014 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_441578b89f39

scifiboi

by scifiboi » Post

yaman wrote:I had tried to make something like this, but due to my impaired coding skills, I couldn't. Great job! Some ideas are a pure block that spreads only on tainted blocks. and a temple/structure that might randomly spawn somewhere on the tainted block. In the temple, which might be made out of something really expensive(mese blocks) is one pure block on a pedestal of... something. For the tainted block, there should be a crafting recipe but really expensive. Ultimately, you corrupt your world, so you can find the temple which would give you even more wealth than you needed to craft the tainted block. if you want this is my mod. Not much is uploaded but you get the general idea. Again, very nice mod!

Edit: Oh yes, one more thing, the tainted block should be unbreakable. Also maybe faster spread rate?
Edit Edit: oh I see it is already is.
Well, I'm not sure about making randomly spawned tainted blocks. Since the taint has no boundaries to the blocks it can taint, it might really mess up some nice looking parts of the world. If I start extending the mod, which I most likely will since this is just a little project I do in my free time at school, I'm thinking about making a taint crystal ore that spawns at -1500 very rarely. And use these taint crystals to craft a tainted block by putting 9 in the crafting table, so yeah, the recipe will be VERY expensive since it can cause lots of destruction in the world. :) As for temples that spawn on tainted blocks randomly, really not sure about it. If I decide to do something like that, then I'm going to have an expensive block that can be used to craft other expensive items. Maybe the first placed tainted block will make a tainted temple or something to make it look like the source of the taint? Again, all just ideas. Even the mod as it is now will likely change completely if I do decide to continue.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

I'm thinking of the corruption from Terraria.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

My first thought was the "red weed" from "War of the Worlds" by H.G.Wells. If we could have version with a spreading veins or vines texture this would surely be perfect for nice creepy themed adventures. I can just hear the distant "Ulla" cries ofJeff Waynes version of "War of the Worlds".

Maybe "the Blob" from that old Steve McQueen film could serve as a role model for a variant. We just need some "freezing gun" mod now.

Something along the lines of the plant "Kudzu" could also be interesting, but might be beyond the scope of this mod.

Not to forget the spreading nothingness from "The Endless Story".

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

This taint while spreading on ores should create tainted resourses, which can be used to make cursed items with stun, reverse moving, paralysis, atk up+def down, no jump and other effects.

scifiboi

by scifiboi » Post

New download has been put up. It now has taint crystal ore that drops 1 taint shard that can be used to craft a taint block. The craft is just 9 shards in the crafting table. The ore spawns under -1500 and is fairly rare.
4aiman wrote:This taint while spreading on ores should create tainted resourses, which can be used to make cursed items with stun, reverse moving, paralysis, atk up+def down, no jump and other effects.
They sound like good ideas, but I'm unsure of how to add any of those kind of effects.

EDIT: I'm going to make wooden planks and clay to be the next blocks to be affected by taint. Also thinking about making taint hurt players when they stand on it. Another thing, based on yaman's idea of a temple, is that I'm going to make altars that spawn on top of the first taint block placed to make it look as if it's the source of the taint.
Last edited by scifiboi on Wed Mar 12, 2014 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

scifiboi wrote:They sound like good ideas, but I'm unsure of how to add any of those kind of effects.
Maybe this would help:
Stun: set players speed to 0.1 or even 0 via physics override.
Reverse moving: use player:moveto() to push a player against looking direction's x&z if get_player_controls() has "up" field, push a player towards looking direction's x&z if get_players_controls() has 'down' field. Not sure how to implement left/right, probably get_yaw would help.
Paralysis: Same as stun, but both speen and jump are decreased.
Atk up: Now this would be the most difficult to implement if you'd use default weapons or the ones from another mods. But you can easily create new tainted tools that'll be more powerfull but would curse you with one of the rest points in this post.
Def down: track for players' HP and if the value got decreased, decrease it even more.
No jump: once again physics override to set jump to 0
I'm too heavy: Increase the gravity with physics override.
I'm blind!: Use HUD to have a semi-transparent black texture cover all screen (like I did in ghosts mod) :)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

So... Did my suggestions help?
Hope this is not abandoned...

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

4aiman wrote:So... Did my suggestions help?
Hope this is not abandoned...
They were good. I might have a shot at implementing them.
Back from the dead!

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

this mod looks good for an apocalypse.
- Monsters emerge from the taints.
- Reproduce 2x faster at night
- ghastly sound
would be very good!
Last edited by BrunoMine on Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

brunob.santos wrote:this mod looks good for an apocalypse.
- Monsters emerge from the taints.
- Reproduce 2x faster at night
- ghastly sound
would be very good!
Good

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

I'm definitely going to put some use into this :)
May this encourage you:

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

Re: [Mod] Taint [1.1] [taint]

by davidthecreator » Post

ur mod is great and u should add a way to conver tained blocks into normal ones because for now the only way to get rid of em is to blow them up

balthazariv

Re: [Mod] Taint [1.1] [taint]

by balthazariv » Post

Hello,
This mod is a real infection of the planet, i like it.
It's missing a vaccine to stop the epidemic.

Good works