[MOD] [in progress] Dyes

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

[MOD] [in progress] Dyes

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12

I'm going to make a mod with dyes for wool and others. Before start, I have some questions:
@sapier: please tell me when you finish wool texture so that I can use it to make a coloured one.
@kahrl: can I register water-like liquids of different color? It would be nice to have coloured waterfalls and fountains :)

If anybody has more ideas for this, please tell me now.

Repository: https://bitbucket.org/neko259/minetest-dyes/overview
Last edited by neko259 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

kahrl
Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 07:51
Location: Rös̓̇chenhof

by kahrl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24

For the liquids, register them like the default mod registers water_source and water_flowing (or lava_source and lava_flowing), and change the texture. To make buckets for the new liquids, call bucket.register_liquid (I don't have time right now but I can write some documentation about this function later).

Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)
 

kahrl
Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 07:51
Location: Rös̓̇chenhof

by kahrl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28

Another thing to note is that the new liquids won't interact with the old liquids. So for example, green water won't flow into normal water nodes and change its color, it will treat it as a solid wall. You can try hacking around with ABMs, but it won't be perfect.
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39

kahrl wrote:Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)

I can make dyes from existing flowers and cactus for now. If some colors are missing, it is necessary to make new flower textures.
kahrl wrote:Another thing to note is that the new liquids won't interact with the old liquids.

That's normal for now. Maybe later I'll make them form some special node like in obsidian mod. But I don't have any ideas of what it could be.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:03

Also, I would appreciate if sapier adds wool of all these colors (without crafting recipes) to his animalmaterials mod. It's a bit uncomfortable to use loops when every color of wool is registered as "dye:wool_color" and white one is "animalmaterials:wool_color".
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23

@kahrl: I use register_liquid function to register liquids and buckets. But I can't understand how it gets textures and descriptions for tooltips.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
Staffs
Member
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 13:16

by Staffs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 13:20

This mod sounds like it going to be fun :D
I love mods :D
 

User avatar
redcrab
Member
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:45
Location: France

by redcrab » Wed Feb 01, 2012 13:56

kahrl wrote:For the liquids, register them like the default mod registers water_source and water_flowing (or lava_source and lava_flowing), and change the texture. To make buckets for the new liquids, call bucket.register_liquid (I don't have time right now but I can write some documentation about this function later).

Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)


automatic alpha blending ready (water alike) ?
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:01

automatic alpha blending ready (water alike) ?

I think it depends on the texture. But I can't understand where to define it for now. I would appreciate if kahrl show me what to change (I've put a link to my repo).
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
redcrab
Member
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:45
Location: France

by redcrab » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:10

neko259 wrote:
automatic alpha blending ready (water alike) ?

I think it depends on the texture. But I can't understand where to define it for now. I would appreciate if kahrl show me what to change (I've put a link to my repo).



Currently transparent water is managed by the client ... it is an option at login screen ... just applied on water not on lava ... may be a setting water alike in node definition ... Or does the half alpha blend texture is enough ?
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
 


Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests