[Mod Request] Mirror

Post Reply
User avatar
InfinityProject
Member
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 00:52
Location: World of Infinity, US

[Mod Request] Mirror

by InfinityProject » Post

I like to come up with player textures but I can't see them in the game. Is a mirror possible?

User avatar
LolManKuba
Member
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 22:36
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

by LolManKuba » Post

I think reflections are not possible yet.

Jordach
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
Location: Blender Scene

by Jordach » Post

This would require GLSL Shaders, I don't think Minetest will ever be able to do this.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez
Location: Rhode Island, USA

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Jordach wrote:This would require GLSL Shaders, I don't think Minetest will ever be able to do this.
obviously you haven't seen kahrl's shader branch
I've been gone for a long time

User avatar
InfinityProject
Member
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 00:52
Location: World of Infinity, US

by InfinityProject » Post

could this be possible in the future?

Jordach
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
Location: Blender Scene

by Jordach » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
Jordach wrote:This would require GLSL Shaders, I don't think Minetest will ever be able to do this.
obviously you haven't seen kahrl's shader branch
was it committed?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez
Location: Rhode Island, USA

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Jordach wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:
Jordach wrote:This would require GLSL Shaders, I don't think Minetest will ever be able to do this.
obviously you haven't seen kahrl's shader branch
was it committed?
hopefully it will be!
I've been gone for a long time

User avatar
kbobdc3
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:23
Location: Delmar, Delaware

by kbobdc3 » Post

how about some simple plates that look metallic
I'm not stupid, I'm weak minded

Jordach
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
Location: Blender Scene

by Jordach » Post

Nope, this will probably never happen.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

Jordach wrote:Nope, this will probably never happen.
stop being mister negative
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Jordach
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
Location: Blender Scene

by Jordach » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
Jordach wrote:Nope, this will probably never happen.
stop being mister negative
Excuse me, but really, Minetest does not even have enough GLSL render passes to do such a thing.
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Mar 20, 2013 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

User avatar
prestidigitator
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 23:54

by prestidigitator » Post

However, you COULD build an entity that uses the same 3D model and texture as the player. It wouldn't be a "real mirror", but it would be a way to look at a skin without connecting another client.

User avatar
InfinityProject
Member
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 00:52
Location: World of Infinity, US

by InfinityProject » Post

Isn't there a way to add another camera view through Irrlicht? Not sure if its possible as I have no idea about that kind of stuff, but if there is a way to add a camera view, you could probably link it to a "mirror" node and have the node display the image.

Jordach
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
Location: Blender Scene

by Jordach » Post

prestidigitator wrote:However, you COULD build an entity that uses the same 3D model and texture as the player. It wouldn't be a "real mirror", but it would be a way to look at a skin without connecting another client.
Ehm, I know theres a way to do it in pure OpenGL, but then again its a WikiBook soo....
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

Jordach wrote:
prestidigitator wrote:However, you COULD build an entity that uses the same 3D model and texture as the player. It wouldn't be a "real mirror", but it would be a way to look at a skin without connecting another client.
Ehm, I know theres a way to do it in pure OpenGL, but then again its a WikiBook soo....
then do it. You complain about Minetest going nowhere but why not do something to make apart of the engine better
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6371
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

by rubenwardy » Post

InfinityProject wrote:Isn't there a way to add another camera view through Irrlicht? Not sure if its possible as I have no idea about that kind of stuff, but if there is a way to add a camera view, you could probably link it to a "mirror" node and have the node display the image.
There is yes, you can render camera images to textures.

User avatar
InfinityProject
Member
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 00:52
Location: World of Infinity, US

by InfinityProject » Post

So why not do it? I'm sure it couldn't be too difficult. I may try to learn how to do it myself.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests