[Mod] Snow Biomes [4.0] [snow]

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 18:45

This is due to the sheer number of polygons on your screen, which sometimes happens with these big trees. Try turning off "fancy leaves", see if that helps for now. A fix to the engine is needed (and is planned) to solve this properly though.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

Splizard

GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 07:14

VanessaE wrote:Moretrees has been updated to be more or less compatible with snow biomes - at least, small firs will now spawn in snow as long as it's on dirt or grass or grass with snow, though they spawn without snow on top of them. I guess falling snow will eventually take care of that last part though.

The two mods add enough load to the map generator that there are lots of cut-offs at mapblock edges now, though. I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the engine, not in your code or mine.

You'll need today's update of plants_lib to make it work properly (or as properly as the engine will allow).

As an aside, is there any way at all to tell the engine to always run your code first?

Cool, about telling the engine to run snow mod code first, I believe 'depending' on snow mod would do that... (haven't really tested it though)
It is not really a practical solution.
Games: The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Bas080

GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 23:23

Jungletrees covered with snow. Maybe snowfall should avoid jungletree nodes.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 23:49

You could use the particle spawners for snowfall
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:35

Someone mentioned it earlier but I didn't see the particular question answered (sorry, if I missed it); would it be possible to configure Snow Biomes to only generate above a certain altitude or above or below a certain latitude? Say, maybe something along the lines of:

snowbiome_exludey=50 <-Don't generate snow biomes at an altitude of 50 or below.
snowbiome_exludez=500 <-Don't generate snow biomes between z=-500 to z=500.

Folks have mentioned that deserts can get cold and that is true but you typically don't see snow biomes close to the equator and close to sea level.

windmere33

by windmere33 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:06

What sound is it when you walk on the snow? It's hard to find it in the .lua (i mean like grassyfootstep2.ogg, or whatever)
Active Contributor To Thaumtest!

Splizard

by Splizard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:19

@bas080
It is because the jungles are inside a snow biome.
When mapgenv7 is released in stable I will redo snow mod, this will fix issues such as this.

@jojoa1997
Yes, I have been playing around with those. That is why I have made a issue on implementing attached particle spawners.

@Jouster27
yes that would be possible but not without modifying the code, thanks for the suggestion I will add that for the next release.

@windmere33
snow mod uses the default gravel sounds
Games: The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

AndrOn

by AndrOn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 15:50

Snow is very buggy in the new version of minetest (0.4.7): I have decorated pine and other random textures from the mod on the snow.
sorry for bad english

Splizard

by Splizard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 08:43

Version 1.8 now out!
featuring falling snow, smooth leveled snow and mapgen_v7 support!

GreenGerm

by GreenGerm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 08:55

where do you download minetest mapper from? I searched on Google but there wasnt any relavant results
I'm not GreenGerm from Minecraft and Roblox. I'm XXGreenGermXX on Roblox and DJ_IbMasterX on Minecraft.

Splizard

by Splizard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 09:02

GreenGerm wrote:where do you download minetest mapper from? I searched on Google but there wasnt any relavant results

It should be included with minetest in the folder "util" it's called minetestmapper.py, you will need python to run that.
there is also a c++ version here: https://github.com/mireq/minetest-mapper-cpp
Here is the post regarding snow mod with minetestmapper https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=30137#p30137

GreenGerm

by GreenGerm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 09:06

sorry i dont have that. Im running the windows version
I'm not GreenGerm from Minecraft and Roblox. I'm XXGreenGermXX on Roblox and DJ_IbMasterX on Minecraft.

Splizard

by Splizard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 09:15

GreenGerm wrote:sorry i dont have that. Im running the windows version

ok sorry, Im not sure how to use it on windows :/

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:02

That is super impressive. These snow biomes add a ton of atmosphere to the world, especially when it's snowing.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:49

Voxel_manip could be very helpful for this mod.

Have you considered generating permafrost stone beneath the colder biomes?
The comedic value of my videos is how abysmal they are: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cyeM ... YTfYFlih_A

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:23

What's the current state of this mod, when added to an existing v6 map? What will happen, overall?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 20:11

A suggestion from a physicist ... snow falls at terminal velocity so acceleration (acc) should be zero ... i suspect it will look better that way. This goes for Jeija's weather mod too.

Splizard

by Splizard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 22:21

Inocudom wrote:Voxel_manip could be very helpful for this mod.

Have you considered generating permafrost stone beneath the colder biomes?

Yes I am experimenting with voxelmanip at the moment. This will be added soon.
Permafrost stone? maybe, but I'm not sure what that should look like.

VanessaE wrote:What's the current state of this mod, when added to an existing v6 map? What will happen, overall?

Any new chunks generated after the mod is added will have the chance to be snow biomes and the areas of the map already generated that should of been snow biomes will have the potential to snow.
On v6 maps in minetest 0.4.7, snow mod generates the same as the last version. On v7 maps in minetest 0.4.8 (dev) snow mod generates according to the new biome system (no ice at the moment).
The next version of snow biomes will have voxelmanip support for v6 maps in minetest 0.4.8 (dev) which will make generation alot faster.
Snow mod does not use default snow nodes so you will be left with unknown blocks if you remove the mod.

paramat wrote:A suggestion from a physicist ... snow falls at terminal velocity so acceleration (acc) should be zero ... i suspect it will look better that way. This goes for Jeija's weather mod too.

Thanks I'll try that out.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Aug 07, 2013 00:26

I think I'll add this mod to my server soon, but if you could, please make it use the default snow/ice nodes. Means less nodes for the program to have to manage, and ideally no duplicates. :-)

Splizard

by Splizard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 02:36

VanessaE wrote:I think I'll add this mod to my server soon, but if you could, please make it use the default snow/ice nodes. Means less nodes for the program to have to manage, and ideally no duplicates. :-)

I think you should ask minetest_game to remove the snow nodes, snow mod had them first :-P
Seriously though, Yea Ill think about it for version 2 of snow mod after 0.4.8 is released.

ak399g

In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Wed Aug 07, 2013 03:23

Grabbed the new snow mod. Got this error partway through the game and it crashed:
Code: Select all
23:21:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
23:21:34: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: /home/safr/.minetest/mods/snow/falling_snow.lua:7: bad argument #1 to 'write' (string expected, got nil)
23:21:34: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
aka SAFR

Splizard

by Splizard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 05:09

ak399g wrote:Grabbed the new snow mod. Got this error partway through the game and it crashed:
Code: Select all
23:21:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
23:21:34: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: /home/safr/.minetest/mods/snow/falling_snow.lua:7: bad argument #1 to 'write' (string expected, got nil)
23:21:34: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

ok thanks, fixed in git: https://github.com/Splizard/minetest-mod-snow/archive/master.zip
If it happens again or regularly ill release a new version.

proller

by proller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:21

now melting and freezing included in core, no need in this abms if liquid_finite and weather is true
479 --Melting
512 --Freezing

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 18:46

Yes indeed, so there could be small positive and negative random amounts added to velocity and acceleration (i will do this in my snowdrift mod), but the average acceleration will be zero.

Splizard, something i'm doing in my snowdrift mod is setting snow velocity = {x=0, y=-1, z=-1}, this makes the snow drift southwards as it falls a little slower than the cloud drift and constant North wind. The effect is beautiful.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Aug 07, 2013 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 18:55

why not use default:snow nodes?
Last edited by Mito551 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases