Vanessa's Video/Graphics Settings patch

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Vanessa's Video/Graphics Settings patch

by VanessaE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:39

As of 2012-11-09 this patch has been integrated into the main upstream Minetest repository.

Over on this forum thead, several of us discussed working some extra graphics settings into the game.

Here then is a patch I've devised that allows you to turn on Mipmap, Anisotropic Filtering, and Bi-/TriLinear filtering via a few checkboxes that have been added to the "Settings" menu, or by editing your minetest.conf if you prefer. This patch is in "unified diff" format and was made against a fresh 0.4.3 source tree from git (commit hash 25cf3757b2[...] at the time):

(obsolete links deleted)

Either apply the aforementioned patch and recompile, or download and install one of the above builds, according to your platform and your needs. Then start the program, go to the "Settings" tab in the main menu, and change one or more of the new checkboxes on the right. Or, you can directly edit your minetest.conf and add one or more of the following lines:

mip_map = 1
anisotropic_filter = 1
bilinear_filter = 1
trilinear_filter = 1

Under normal circumstances, you'll want to set Anisotropic Filtering and Mip-Map at the same time (either both on or both off). The Bi-/Trilinear settings are mutually exclusive. If you set both, trilinear mode takes precedence.

Many thanks to sfan5 for helping me get the patch into a format everyone can actually use and for providing the above Windows build, and to RealBadAngel and to a certain individual who wishes not to be named, for helping me understand what I'm doing. :-)

Repository for my fork:
(obsolete link deleted)

Note that depending on the build you chose above (if any), you may also need to grab the latest version of celeron55's minetest_game repository, which supplies the actual content we're all accustomed to. Get it here: (obsolete link deleted)

Enjoy!
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04

Thanks Vanessa!

Since I don't know (without trying) what to do exactly with the Ubuntu Linux 12.04, AMD64 file, I decided to go for the patch. First try I just copied everyting in the "minetest/src/clientmap.cpp" (instead of the different sourcefiles) and got a "stray @" error. Second try it already worked, which means you did an excellent job.

I've been comparing screenshots to see the differences. I use the 16x16 standard textures. Ingame I noticed the biggest difference with close objects.

The opportunity to choose if you want to use the options or not is great!

I think a lot of people are going to enjoy your work! I hope this will be standard in the next release of minetest.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Topywo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

cHyper

GitHub: cHyper-0815OL
IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:17

just try this version of minetest ...

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 03:32

You should link to OldCoder's version compiled for windows that has these patches.
Meow.

That is all.

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:54

I really approve of this patch. It looks a lot better for me with anisotropic filtering and mipmaps. Please merge this into Minetest GIT master, it's a very useful feature! I might stick with OldCoder's branch until then, since he added it to his code.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun Nov 11, 2012 02:45

New AMD64 Ubuntu build from upstream.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 06:16

Can anyone provide an Ubuntu 12.04 x86 (32bits) package?
Looks awesome, though I kinda like the old-school look of pixelated textures :)
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Nov 21, 2012 18:38

No need anymore - the current Minetest source code now contains my patch - just clone/download from celeron55's main repository and compile as usual, or probably also use the nightly builds PPA.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 18:48

Okay. Gonnay try that. Thanks VanessaE.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

soni21

by soni21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 06:21

VanessaE Thanks for taking time to help!!!

Return to Feature Discussion