[Game] Minetest Nostalgia (customised a bit) [0.0.5]

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

[Game] Minetest Nostalgia (customised a bit) [0.0.5]

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24

This is a gamemode intended to stay as relatively close to early versions of Minetest.
There a couple of custom things like wood-framed glass.
However, it is not as bloated as the default game and should run much faster.
All suggestions for addition or removal of things are considered.
It has the 0.3.1 mobs, in 2D. These are oerkki, dungeon master and rat. Rats are placeable, collectable, and cookable, of course.
They use PilzAdam's simplemobs api, so all credit pretty much to him!
Enjoy!

Vanessa's Nostalgia Server

License: CC-By-Sa

Download: https://github.com/VanessaE/mt_nostalgia/archive/master.zip
Or browse the code: https://github.com/VanessaE/mt_nostalgia

Screenshot:
Image
Another screenshot:
+ Spoiler
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Aug 20, 2013 13:41

I suggest you to turn the filters off, they look really ugly on 16px textures.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:35

PilzAdam wrote:I suggest you to turn the filters off, they look really ugly on 16px textures.

I assume you mean the blurring thing? I was just testing how it affected performance, I normally leave it off.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:05

Yes!
One can get the classic experience with the latest minetest :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:14

Mossmanikin wrote:Yes!
One can get the classic experience with the latest minetest :)

This has a couple of bugs though. I will soon release a version with iron, glass,chests,furnaces and ladders. Only because life is really boring in Mt when you only have ~10 nodes :)
I would advise waiting for the next version before judging it.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:24

[h]Okay Guys! Download Now! Official Release![/h]
Sorry for the red letters. This is the major release. It is faster than default minetest_game and is more awesome than minimal. This is a modified Minetest Classic.
It contains some modern stuff like doors and chests, but attempts to retain the old textures.
Enjoy!
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:40

Very cool.

I remember a thread somewhere asking for a game like this and now it's there. :)

Few questions:
Do you plan to implement creative mode?
Do you mean by the following you're not sure If you want to add these features?:
Dan Duncombe wrote:Todo:
Lava?
RATS???

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:42

Mossmanikin wrote:Very cool.

I remember a thread somewhere asking for a game like this and now it's there. :)

Few questions:
Do you plan to implement creative mode?
Do you mean by the following you're not sure If you want to add these features?:
Dan Duncombe wrote:Todo:
Lava?
RATS???

I do plan to add Creative- in fact I forgot to addit. I will add in Version 3.
By question mark, I do indeed mean 'Shall I? Or Maybe I Won't. I can't Decide.'
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:47

Dan Duncombe wrote:I do plan to add Creative- in fact I forgot to addit. I will add in Version 3.

That's good news. :)
Dan Duncombe wrote:By question mark, I do indeed mean 'Shall I? Or Maybe I Won't. I can't Decide.'

IMHO rats should be there. It's one of the main differences between classic and newer versions.
I'm not sure about lava either, but I tend to a yes.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 21:08

Okay, version 3 update. Rats, and creative, have been added.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 21:26

PilzAdam wrote:You shouldnt call it "Minetest Classic", there is already project with this name: http://minetest-classic.com/

It is now Minetest Original
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 22:12

Please update now, everything has inventory image textures now, like in 0.0.1
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 01:24

Nice you called dirt mud and removed the inventory cubes.

There's a few things I'd change:
- use different chest & furnace textures (AFAIK the first were different)
- use "^[transformFX" for the picks
- use drawtype "torchlike" for the sign
and it looks like you forgot to change the inventory image of water

Moreover I think the title "original" is misleading and something like "oldskool" wood fit better (like the minecraft mod).

I'm not sure yet what to think of the extras.

I hope I didn't give too much critique, all in all it's a cool update.
Keep up the good work. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02

Mossmanikin wrote:Nice you called dirt mud and removed the inventory cubes.

There's a few things I'd change:
- use different chest & furnace textures (AFAIK the first were different)
- use "^[transformFX" for the picks
- use drawtype "torchlike" for the sign
and it looks like you forgot to change the inventory image of water

Moreover I think the title "original" is misleading and something like "oldskool" wood fit better (like the minecraft mod).

I'm not sure yet what to think of the extras.

I hope I didn't give too much critique, all in all it's a cool update.
Keep up the good work. :)

-Firstly, the chest and furnace textures are of course using the old-style wood and stone textures, I am not good at textures really so if you could maybe show me what you would like as new textures,that would be great.

-Secondly, the only reason I simply rotated the images was because I wasn'tsure how to use the transform function

-I had never actually seen signs in the old Mt, I assume from what you say they were torchlike in drawtype?

-Lastly, the name. Does Minetest Oldschool sound alright? I don't want it to sound stupid of course.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04

Dan Duncombe wrote:-Firstly, the chest and furnace textures are of course using the old-style wood and stone textures, I am not good at textures really so if you could maybe show me what you would like as new textures,that would be great.


I mean the textures of the following minetest version from c55.me/minetest/oldsite/packages/win32/:
minetest-0.0.1-win32-110404153456.zip
I didn't play back then, so I'm not sure if they really are the oldest textures. But I'm quite sure these are typical classic ones.

Dan Duncombe wrote:-Secondly, the only reason I simply rotated the images was because I wasn'tsure how to use the transform function


It's rarely used in mods, so I had the suspition this might maybe be the case.

Dan Duncombe wrote:-I had never actually seen signs in the old Mt, I assume from what you say they were torchlike in drawtype?


Actually it was sort of a combination of a more complex torchlike and signlike. Don't really know how to describe it, you have to test it yourself. ( check old versions from http://c55.me/minetest/oldsite/packages/win32/). Note: in the very old versions the sign doesn't have any inventory image, so it looks like it's not there, but it is, have fun looking for it. ;)

Dan Duncombe wrote:-Lastly, the name. Does Minetest Oldschool sound alright? I don't want it to sound stupid of course.


IMHO "old_school" is smart and "oldskool" is hip. An alternative would be "nostalgia".

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:08

Firstly, I would use torchlike except it has the diagonal sideways twist. Take a look at floor torches to see what I mean.
Secondly, Minetest Nostalgia Sounds brilliant. Thanks!
Edit: The old versions of Minetest like the one you linked to don't have chests,so I had to improvise a texture.
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22

Dan Duncombe wrote:Firstly, I would use torchlike except it has the diagonal sideways twist. Take a look at floor torches to see what I mean.

Yeah, I know it looks strange. Anyway, if you didn't actually see old signs in action, I'd recommend to look at them.
Dan Duncombe wrote:Secondly, Minetest Nostalgia Sounds brilliant. Thanks!

Glad you like it. :)
Dan Duncombe wrote:Edit: The old versions of Minetest like the one you linked to don't have chests,so I had to improvise a texture.

Like I said: didn't play MT back then, just tested some older versions because I felt like hunting for fossils. I hope someone who was amongst the pioneers can solve this mystery. ;)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56

Ah, yes, I have now looked at the signs, and I see what you mean. I will ask the devs or someone if there is a drawtype to that effect. Or Maybe nodeboxes...
EDIT: Made my best attempt at them, also made rats spawn a tiny bit more, and changed the name to mt_nostalgia

EDIT2: Someone suggested Minetest Retro
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Aug 21, 2013 14:13

If this game mode could somehow interact with Minetest Classic servers, that would be a great achievement.
Recovering from the abomination I am. Clocking time for Garry's Mod I am too.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 15:15

Inocudom wrote:If this game mode could somehow interact with Minetest Classic servers, that would be a great achievement.

I am not sure. You would have to try it- I think the server however use the actual old Minetest versions which are probably incompatible with 0.4.7
It would be worth a try though.
EDIT: One idea would be making a new server with this gamemode to give the classic experience without needing a different Minetest.
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Wed Aug 21, 2013 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:08

Dan Duncombe wrote:Ah, yes, I have now looked at the signs, and I see what you mean. I will ask the devs or someone if there is a drawtype to that effect. Or Maybe nodeboxes...
EDIT: Made my best attempt at them


I'm starting to get the impression that signs used to be entities...
Comes close to the original. :)

Some details (I'm sure you noticed I love details :D):
Would be cool if the text "Example text" would appear instead of "".
If you don't think it's too annoying maybe use a cube as selection box?

Noob 4 life!
My stuff
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07

Mossmanikin wrote:
Dan Duncombe wrote:Ah, yes, I have now looked at the signs, and I see what you mean. I will ask the devs or someone if there is a drawtype to that effect. Or Maybe nodeboxes...
EDIT: Made my best attempt at them


I'm starting to get the impression that signs used to be entities...
Comes close to the original. :)

Some details (I'm sure you noticed I love details :D):
Would be cool if the text "Example text" would appear instead of "".
If you don't think it's too annoying maybe use a cube as selection box?

A cube would be easy. I will see about the example text.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:51

Update 0.0.5

What's New?
  • Added Dungeon Master and Oerkki, 2D of course. All code credit to PilzAdam.
  • Moved to Github.
  • Gave water the proper inventory texture.

Request: Can someone make a server of this? That would be awesome!
It is lightweight enough to run,no lag, on a netbook, so a server should be like lightning.

EDIT: Update again, added axes for trees and mob killing.
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Sat Oct 19, 2013 23:18

Ok, swords, lava added.
Poll:
Switch to 0.3.1 texture or...
Stay as 0.0.1 textures
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.
 

Next

Return to Game Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests