[Mod] Facades for Mesecons [0.1] [mesefacades]

Leifanator

[Mod] Facades for Mesecons [0.1] [mesefacades]

by Leifanator » Post

This is an addon for Jeija's Mesecons mod, which is the Minetest equivalent of Red Power. It adds block versions of mese wiring (currently brick, wood-planks, and cobble). I created this because I wanted to have a house that could have powered mese lighting without the bulky wiring taking up half the space. The blocks have a small yellow-discoloration in the middle to indicate that they contain mese wiring.

Recipes are in the included README file.

Install:

Extract the folder contents within the ZIP into their corresponding folders in the Mesecons mod folder.

Licenses:

Code - LGPLv3/Later - Contains partially modified code from Mesecons, more info in README
Textures - CC-BY-SA - Contains partially modified textures from default Minetest, more info in README

Credit:

The code is largely based on Jeija's Mesecons mod, and the textures are derived from the works of the various texture artists of Minetest.

Dependencies:

Mesecons

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5j32r ... secons.zip

Leifanator

by Leifanator » Post

This is how the facade wires work compared to their 'naked' counterparts:

Leifanator

by Leifanator » Post

The three current styles:

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Do I understand it right? You made some default materials able to conduct mesecon power? If yes, then: Nice idea! Might be useful ;)

Leifanator

by Leifanator » Post

Thanks! It's specifically mese wiring inside the blocks. For example, to craft it you need three mese wires and six blocks of default material.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Why not a shapeless recipe with 1 default block and 1 mesecon wire? Would be much cheaper :D

Leifanator

by Leifanator » Post

Good point. It would solve the problem of uneven ratio of wire to block.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Great idea, but... why do you override mesecons core files ? This is a very bad idea (I think), you should instead make this as a separate mod.
Also, I think you should base this off mesewire.lua so there is no difference between vertical and horizontal wires (and the code is way shorter).
Finally, you could use texture overlay (tiles = {"default_brick.png^mesefacades_overlay_off.png"} for example) so you don't need to copy the texture for every node, and add a function to register a facade, so other mods could use yours.
EDIT: if you want, I can attach an example code :p
Last edited by Zeg9 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Leifanator

by Leifanator » Post

Zeg9 wrote:Great idea, but... why do you override mesecons core files ?
I didn't know how to make a mod run independently. I think I've begun to figure it out though. Right now I'm squishing bugs related to communicating with Mesecons.
Also, I think you should base this off mesewire.lua so there is no difference between vertical and horizontal wires (and the code is way shorter).
I have considered that, but I also want the facades function in the same way as the normal mesecons for the sake of making it easy to manage different types of wires. If mesecons ever merges the two (and I hope they will), the facades will follow along with them.
Finally, you could use texture overlay (tiles = {"default_brick.png^mesefacades_overlay_off.png"} for example) so you don't need to copy the texture for every node, and add a function to register a facade, so other mods could use yours.
I didn't even think of that, but that actually makes a lot more sense than cluttering it with several files. I will try that when I complete the revised version.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I am rather novice to Minetest's programming structure, so the advice is extra helpful for me.

*Edited for grammar fixes
Last edited by Leifanator on Sun Jul 21, 2013 00:27, edited 1 time in total.