[Mod] Simple Hovercraft [0.1.1] [hovercraft]

stu
GitHub: stujones11

[Mod] Simple Hovercraft [0.1.1] [hovercraft]

by stu » Post

A fun alternative mode of transport for Minetest.

My original idea for this mod was to make a hovercraft racing game with custom circuits and mesecon lap counters. However, with lag being what it is and bugs in the engine, this is not really viable ATM.

Screenshot

Minetest version: 0.4.4-d1 and later

Depends: default

License Source Code: Copyright (C) 2013 Stuart Jones - LGPL

License Tetxures & Models: Copyright (C) 2013 Stuart Jones - CC-BY-SA

License Sounds: Various Creative Commons, see LICENSE.txt

Download: https://github.com/stujones11/hovercraf ... master.zip (rename hovercraft-master > hovercraft)

Github: https://github.com/stujones11/hovercraft

Version History

Version [0.1.0] Sat, 27 Jul 2013 (Official Release)

Version [0.1.1] Sun, 28 Jul 2013

Improved placememt handling, item returns to inventory on_punch.
Audio bugfix, stop sound when entity is destroyed.
Added yellow & green hovercraft. All hovercraft have subtly different handling abilities.

Know Issues

'Bouncing' off thin air: This can simply be the result of server lag, even in singleplayer, the client and server can get out of sync. Solution, just be patient and allow the environment to fully load before proceeding.

Problems with bouncing in air and generally getting stuck, being pulled underwater and all manner of other weirdness can also be caused by a rather nasty entity duplication bug in minetest itself. The only solution here is to track down and remove any duplicate entities or by running /clearobjects

Entity Duplication: See above. This usually occurs when you move more than a given distance from where the entity was originally placed. The only solution right now is to restrict the hovercraft to a certain area. For example, create a sunken race track the hovercraft cannot physically escape from.

Given all the above issues this mod is probably not ready for public server use just yet, however, it is quite playable over a LAN setup.
Last edited by stu on Sun Jul 28, 2013 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nice idea and good looking models! Hope those entity duplication bugs get solved. Those caused by dropped items are a strain on server and client ressources on several servers.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I just tested this in my test world, and this is the most awesome vehicle mod I have ever seen. EDIT: I also love how it bobs up and down when it is parked.
Last edited by Evergreen on Sat Jul 27, 2013 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

stu

by stu » Post

Sokomine wrote:Nice idea and good looking models! Hope those entity duplication bugs get solved. Those caused by dropped items are a strain on server and client ressources on several servers.
Thanks, I agree. IMO the entity duplication bug should be a very high priority and fixed before a version 0.4.8 release.
Evergreen wrote:I just tested this in my test world, and this is the most awesome vehicle mod I have ever seen. EDIT: I also love how it bobs up and down when it is parked.
Cheers, glad you like it.

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

This is quite good. A few problems, but overall quite good.

One main thing is that it takes some time to remove it by just punching it, so a better way to destroy it / put it in the inventory would be better. Another is that it is difficult to go up hills with it because it keeps bumping you back when you reach the next step.

It would be interesting if you could make a hovercraft for use on spaceships that would fall fast and have a fast acceleration, and would have an easy way to see below the hovercraft.
Last edited by Excalibur Zero on Sun Jul 28, 2013 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

May I add a camouflage version to my camo mod? I will of course give full credit. Really.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:May I add a camouflage version to my camo mod? I will of course give full credit. Really.
Really? A hovercraft in a camo mod? -_-
Back from the dead!

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Dan Duncombe wrote:May I add a camouflage version to my camo mod? I will of course give full credit. Really.
Really? A hovercraft in a camo mod? -_-
Well. Camouflaged army hovercrafts, obviously :).

stu

by stu » Post

Excalibur Zero wrote:This is quite good. A few problems, but overall quite good.

One main thing is that it takes some time to remove it by just punching it, so a better way to destroy it / put it in the inventory would be better. Another is that it is difficult to go up hills with it because it keeps bumping you back when you reach the next step.

It would be interesting if you could make a hovercraft for use on spaceships that would fall fast and have a fast acceleration, and would have an easy way to see below the hovercraft.
I have made it so that hovercraft returns to inventory on_punch, I guess that makes sense. As for going up hills, well that is not realy what hovercraft normally do. While i'm not trying to perfectly emulate a real hovercraft, my intention was to make it quite challenging to control. For spaceships see the ufo mod by Zeg9.
Absolutely, i have tried to make the licensing as flexible as possible. Although you don't really need to copy the entire mod, simply depend on it and add your own hover:register_hovercraft(). See the new yellow & green 'craft I recently added as an example. Since hover is global you can register hovercraft in your own mod's init.lua

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Thanks stu. I have added the whole mod anyway, to avoid dependencies. I really have credited you.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Great mod !
This is actually the best vehicle mod I've seen yet (imo).
Also maybe you could fix the bouncing in mid-air issue by loading the chunks around hovercrafts, using the new voxelmanip thing.
Last edited by Zeg9 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

stu

by stu » Post

Zeg9 wrote:Great mod !
This is actually the best vehicle mod I've seen yet (imo).
Also maybe you could fix the bouncing in mid-air issue by loading the chunks around hovercrafts, using the new voxelmanip thing.
Thanks, I will look into that voxelmanip thing but I am beginning to think that it doesn't just happen in unloaded areas. I am really not sure what causes the sudden slowdown and subsequent erroneous collision detection. I have just made some updates to the acceleration & velocity physics, you now get a much smoother ride at top speed. It may just be coincidence but my experiences of mid-air bouncing have become greatly reduced, esp. with the slower craft.

I do have other ideas to validate the collistion detection. I would rather avoid having to check all nodes and objects in a radius if possible but that is one possibility.
Last edited by stu on Mon Jul 29, 2013 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

stu wrote:
Zeg9 wrote something.
Thanks, I will look into that voxelmanip thing but I am beginning to think that it doesn't just happen in unloaded areas. I am really not sure what causes the sudden slowdown and subsequent erroneous collision detection. I have just made some updates to the acceleration & velocity physics, you now get a much smoother ride at top speed. It may just be coincidence but my experiences of mid-air bouncing have become greatly reduced, esp. with the slower craft.

I do have other ideas to validate the collistion detection. I would rather avoid having to check all nodes and objects in a radius if possible but that is one possibility.
I think it takes more time to load "empty" blocks, with only air inside.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

stu

by stu » Post

Zeg9 wrote:I think it takes more time to load "empty" blocks, with only air inside.
That would make sense since, for me, this occurs primarily over large expanses of open water. I did have a look at the voxel_manip thing but I'm still not quite sure how to use this to 'force load' the nodes around the entity.
Last edited by stu on Tue Jul 30, 2013 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Stu: I have noticed a problem with hovercrafts, if there is more than one of the same colour, they will both move even if only one is being used. If one get stuck against a wall, the one you are riding will go all slow and 'stuck in wall'.

stu

by stu » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:Stu: I have noticed a problem with hovercrafts, if there is more than one of the same colour, they will both move even if only one is being used. If one get stuck against a wall, the one you are riding will go all slow and 'stuck in wall'.
Yes, I have noticed that too, at first I thought that it only effected 'duplicate' entities but it seems that it also effects those that have been deliberately placed. Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing this ATM so unless someone else can see a mistake on my part, I can only guess it is problem with the engine, perhaps related to the entity duplication bug.

btw: nice addition of stepheight to the def, I will add that also.
Last edited by stu on Thu Aug 01, 2013 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I have had friends complaining about no vehicles. Carts wasn't impressive enough for them so I am sure your doing many people a favor with this mod assuming that my friends belong to the average when it comes to gaming.

Element
IRC: Elementwing4962
In-game: Elementwing4962

by Element » Post

SWEET!!!
Join Me And My Team - thornfyregaming-mc.noip.me:25565

My Server Is 1.7.9

Rehlgamer101

by Rehlgamer101 » Post

Can you make the craft easier to control and make it go up and down slopes? PLZ!!!
Super Mario!!! Need I say more? I think not!!

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

duplication issue problem, two of the same doing the same thing - .reason found - static data is the same for two or more of the same entity - deactivateFarObjects gets the staticdata for them, when reactivated, it uses the same static data for the original - duplication occurs also when a chunk/block/we is deactivated then reactivated again you get a duplicate entity inside the same position since the static data is the same

workaround is still to only use one entity and remove it when you go more than a few blocks from it

so much for using entities for le fishes, back to nodeboxes >: (
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

Element

by Element » Post

i know why the hovercraft bounces in mid air...lets say there are two reds one out at the same time...if you go on one then you control them both....so if one hits something the one your on also feels the bounce
Last edited by Element on Fri Sep 13, 2013 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

My Server Is 1.7.9

stu

by stu » Post

Element wrote:i know why the hovercraft bounces in mid air...lets say there are two reds one out at the same time...if you go on one then you control them both....so if one hits something the one your on also feels the bounce
Yes, afaik this is caused by a bug in the minetest engine, aka the entitly dupliaction bug, I do hope it gets fixed soon.
thank you for reporting your findings.

Element

by Element » Post

your welcome

My Server Is 1.7.9

balthazariv

Re: [Mod] Simple Hovercraft [0.1.1] [hovercraft]

by balthazariv » Post

Hello,

Good works, i like it but sometimes I have my character that appears in black.

Thanks

stu

Re: [Mod] Simple Hovercraft [0.1.1] [hovercraft]

by stu » Post

balthazariv wrote:Hello,

Good works, i like it but sometimes I have my character that appears in black.

Thanks
Hmm, the meshes must be colliding somehow, there was no third person view when I wrote this.
It's getting late for me right now but I will try to look at it sometime tomorrow. Thank you for reporting it.