by proller » Post

Now its uses heat and humidity from core and deside rain-or-snow in lua
melting-freezing now have no hardcoded nodes, anything via groups

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

proller wrote:Now its uses heat and humidity from core and deside rain-or-snow in lua
melting-freezing now have no hardcoded nodes, anything via groups
Sounds good! Are there any screenshots with functional weather yet?

proller

by proller » Post

i cant make screenshots. but it same as in top of this post.

And better can showed on video, snow-rain area is moving (slowly), water can freeze, ice-snow can melt, ...

try it

AndrOn

by AndrOn » Post

Maybe you could enable collision to avoid the problem of the rain inside glass buildings? I wonder also if there is a way to avoid the particles facing the player, it's weird when you look up at the rain. A workaround could be to make rain more like small round drops, this way it wouldn't look bad when you look up.
k8NzxjXgxpd3KOKx8pz2z12pStfpe5tR

hassage
IRC: hassage
In-game: hassage

by hassage » Post

Good Idea AndrOn!

playzooki

by playzooki » Post

make floods
bad signature is bad

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

playzooki wrote:make floods
Place a single water block, that otta do it :p

AndrOn

by AndrOn » Post

mauvebic:
playzooki wrote:

make floods
really good idea! Maybe not water sources to avoid the map to be permanently flooded but if it's possible half-filled water flowing blocks that would flow, spread and vanish.
k8NzxjXgxpd3KOKx8pz2z12pStfpe5tR

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

AndrOn wrote:
mauvebic:
playzooki wrote:

make floods
really good idea! Maybe not water sources to avoid the map to be permanently flooded but if it's possible half-filled water flowing blocks that would flow, spread and vanish.
then enable finite liquids i think that might do it but idk haven't used it.

proller

by proller » Post

floods when rain and when snow melt already done in my branches.

proller

by proller » Post

Core support for heat, humidity, leveled nodes merged into master.
now with latests git can try https://github.com/proller/minetest-mod ... ee/weather

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

proller wrote:Core support for heat, humidity, leveled nodes merged into master.
now with latests git can try https://github.com/proller/minetest-mod ... ee/weather
This sounds like something Bas080, Hybrid Dog, and VanessaE can really put to good use.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

I'm working on a lightweight fork of this mod where individual snowflake particles are spawned.
EDIT snowflakes drift southward as clouds do, just a little slower.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Aug 07, 2013 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

This can be improved. What if weather is locational and not only random.

A big improvement would be that when you walk the particles are spawned a bit in front of the player. That way the particles that are spawned are more visible and are used more effectively. I'm sure you'll figure out how to achieve this.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Bas080, in my version snow will be dependant on biome.
Last edited by paramat on Fri Aug 09, 2013 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Jeija, see useful info on terminal velocity in this thread viewtopic.php?id=2290&p=5

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

paramat wrote:I'm working on a lightweight fork of this mod where individual snowflake particles are spawned.
EDIT snowflakes drift southward as clouds do, just a little slower.

http://i.imgur.com/G2wHG2c.png
This is cool but is it possible to make the sky a little less bright to those in a snowy area so that it mimics a snowy day?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Hmm not sure ... however my snowfall is very light so makes sense in a world with only a few clouds.
Forum member proller is working on more complex weather.

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Bas080 wrote:This can be improved. What if weather is locational and not only random.

A big improvement would be that when you walk the particles are spawned a bit in front of the player. That way the particles that are spawned are more visible and are used more effectively. I'm sure you'll figure out how to achieve this.
Snow fall in the current version of snow mod, is only spawned in snow biomes.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

I want the snow to accumulate. how to do it?
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

samreenkhud

by samreenkhud » Post

I will attempt to disseminate all that I have discussed and learned over the last 36 hours.

weather in pakistan
Last edited by samreenkhud on Thu Sep 12, 2013 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

TheFlannelOne

by TheFlannelOne » Post

I'm getting this error:

21:51:15: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...bin\..\mods\minetest-mod-weather-master\weather/rain.lua:16: bad argument #1 to 'add_particlespawner' (number expected, got table)

I'm on windows 7 using minetest-0.4.7-72b9b0f-fixes-win32

The snow works fine. This error only happens when it rains.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

TheFlannelOne wrote:I'm getting this error:

21:51:15: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...bin\..\mods\minetest-mod-weather-master\weather/rain.lua:16: bad argument #1 to 'add_particlespawner' (number expected, got table)

Update your Minetest version.
Also please note this:
PilzAdam wrote:There are a lot of other people doing win builds now, so I will make my builds on request now. Ask me here or in IRC, I can also make builds of different branches or Minetest forks.
You have too use my or Fess to get new minetest builds
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

sfan5 wrote:
TheFlannelOne wrote:I'm getting this error:

Update your Minetest version.
Also please note this:
PilzAdam wrote:There are a lot of other people doing win builds now, so I will make my builds on request now. Ask me here or in IRC, I can also make builds of different branches or Minetest forks.
You have too use my or Fess to get new minetest builds
Fess's builds are good when ou are using big texture packs and the such because they are 64-bit. IF your computer can handle it.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I tested Proller's version of the weather system in the Next branch, and wanted to share my thoughts, the issues I found, and solutions for some of those issues. I already discussed most points with Proller on IRC, but things tend to get lost in chats so I'll also mention them here.

First of all, I absolutely love how precipitation respects the mapgen humidity map, how rain / snow create flowing water or snow blocks, and how water freezes or evaporates based on the temperature map. I watched those in practice today and also looked at the Lua files, and there's little to object to. Only problem I can think of is that flowing water shouldn't appear on flat surfaces and litter them randomly, but only build up in holes or flow over hills. In some aspects I find this a little odd:

My only real problem is the laggy and incorrect particle system, which IMO needs a lot of fixing. Here's my take on each of the issues:

1 - Particle spawners follow the player on the server rather than the client. This not only causes clients with a slow connection to see particle clouds be left behind as they walk, but also wastes a lot of bandwidth. In my opinion, weather cannot be ready until particles are attached to the player client-side, and only updated by the server when needed. Thankfully there's already code for that, but the branch is still waiting in this pull request. Once that change is added to Minetest, this problem should be easy to fix.

2 - Current indoor / outdoor detection system is very fake and obvious. If the player is standing under the clear sky, he sees weather taking place indoor... while if he's in a cave or house, he no longer sees precipitation outside. Me and Proller thought of a solution for this: Having one or more circles of spawners above the player, each spawner detecting if its positioned indoor or outdoor. I asked the Lua team for a formula which can generate a circle of X points in Y radius, and someone wrote one which would provide a perfect fix. Feel free to try it out over here:

Code: Select all

local points = 4
local dist = 10
for i = 1, points do
    print(("( %.2f, %.2f )"):format(math.sin( (math.pi * 2 / points) * i) * dist, math.cos( (math.pi * 2 / points) * i ) * dist))
end
3 - Rain particles should only face the camera horizontally, not vertically (snow is good as it is). If you look forward as it rains, you see the rain fall correctly. But if you look up, you see panels of blue lines coming toward you. Proller said a vertical parameter for particles already exists, so this should be fixed soon.

4 - The player can see particles appearing. Look upward when it rains / snows, and you see how particles spawn right above your head. Their starting point should be much higher... probably at least 25 nodes above the player.

5 - Particles decrease frame rate considerably. In my case, rain or snow seem to bring FPS down to half. Sadly there might be nothing we can do here. Decreasing the amount of particles is not an option, since the current quantity looks correct and any less would be ugly. Only suggestion is making sure there are no performance improvements left undone in particle rendering code, and if so this is something we'll have to live with.

Last suggestion I have on the weather system is adding sounds when it snows or rains. Simply looping the sound files is very easy, although having realistic sound effects (like rain hitting different surfaces) might be trickier. And of course, darkening the sky and thickening fog while it's snowing or raining... but that will require heavier code changes so it's best left for later.