Problems on window 7

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

The crash is caused by stof() in utility.h due to the use of an uninitialized variable. This code is used on all compilers except MSVC 2010.
That could not have caused anything like this. I suspect the way your code fixes the problem is only that it ignores errors at load time and causes failed-to-load blocks to regenerate, thus destroying data. This is not a fix, it only hides the error.

No-Half-Measures

by No-Half-Measures » Post

celeron55 wrote:
The crash is caused by stof() in utility.h due to the use of an uninitialized variable. This code is used on all compilers except MSVC 2010.
That could not have caused anything like this. I suspect the way your code fixes the problem is only that it ignores errors at load time and causes failed-to-load blocks to regenerate, thus destroying data. This is not a fix, it only hides the error.
Beat me too it though I was just going to Say it looks like a work around not a fix. ^^

Like I Said in a earlier Post the Problem can only be nullified not fixed (may have said in another topic) and that's exactly what this/that does, It is a nice fix how ever if Part of a awesomely big build receives the problem its going to start regenerating those blocks. You might as well let a Greifer come and Destroy it. This Would appear to be similar to what Weedy's Build does too.

It's a nice fix but could potentially cause more problems than needed in the long run.

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

This Would appear to be similar to what Weedy's Build does too.
To my knowledge what Weedy has done is that he has just built the unmodified c55 code using self-compiled libraries and VS2010, thus you are wrong. Or am I wrong?

No-Half-Measures

by No-Half-Measures » Post

celeron55 wrote:To my knowledge what Weedy has done is that he has just built the unmodified c55 code using self-compiled libraries and VS2010, thus you are wrong. Or am I wrong?
Well if it is Self Compiled libraries it be nice of him to share with you to which libraries he's compiled...
But to be greatly honest I don't see how compiling libraries yourself would solve the issue, though MS2010 Might be what does fix it which makes me Wrong on something else I said in another thread >.< But that just means packages included with MS2010 are done better thus nullifying it allot more.

I heard you compile with a 2005 version?
If that true then I'm not sure why I haven't come across this problem with your builds, The one time i had the Build i was using was built with 2010 =/

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

I do build it using VS2005... uh, and overally quite a random setup running on a Windows 2000 virtual machine. The good thing about that is that it builds stuff fine without swapping on disk even with 200MB of memory.

Creating an another build environment is time-consuming and getting Windows XP and VS2008 legally is expensive.

parlock

by parlock » Post

For reference I am using the FREE VS 2010 C++ express to build this and it's working fine now without any corruption.

My only guess is that it might be a bug in how the stream was being output to the disk file. As most of the files were corrupt when written to disk using the VS 2008 build. Didn't show up unless it needed to reload it from disk. I am using Windows 7 32-bit OS, so it might also be dependent on the OS as to whether it happens too.

If you need any files from me let me know? I can reproduce it with the 20110731 build as well from celeron55.

One good thing did come out of this, I learned how the serialization stuff works now in the code... :)