3 Small Things Minetest Needs To Be A Better Game (Article)

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

Minetest already has roughly the number 3. AKA tooltips. Sound I agree with, there's some code for sound already but it needs to be put into the main code. The first one? nah not needed.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

What version of the game did you test? because the current dev build (0.4) has tooltips and also mod support ^_^

With regards to sound like RAPHAEL said there is already a sound branch that is still being developed which once done should make it to 0.4 (probably before 0.4 stable too).

and what you said about the continuous place of blocks when holding down the mouse button I probably agree with, weirdly 2 people on my server where asking about this the other week.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

That is what YOU want to become a better Minetest -c55 thing, but mine is diffrent because I want 1) Minetest to have Good and more bad mobs like Creepers, Zombies, Skeletons ect.

XCalibur54

by XCalibur54 » Post

dannydark wrote:
What version of the game did you test? because the current dev build (0.4) has tooltips and also mod support ^_^

With regards to sound like RAPHAEL said there is already a sound branch that is still being developed which once done should make it to 0.4 (probably before 0.4 stable too).

and what you said about the continuous place of blocks when holding down the mouse button I probably agree with, weirdly 2 people on my server where asking about this the other week.
I'm using the current dev build and I don't have tooltips. Am I doing something wrong?
Moderator of redcrab's 0.4 server: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@XCalibur54 Are you sure your using the latest version? Tooltips where added some time ago with Kahrl's itemdef patch back on the 13th January.

I build from the source but I'm sure celeron55 has released builds since then.

qyron

by qyron » Post

1. What for? It would only help me make even more mistakes when building. One block per click is fine.

2. Stability over prettiness, always. It will eventually come to reality.

3. Read above the reply of dannydark.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

Tim

by Tim » Post

I agree with qyron. I always make mistakes in Minecraft which leads to having to use my tools more and so they break quicker.

I think everybody is ignoring a large part of number 3, which is a valid poin - the design of the inventory. Coming from Minecraft I tried to put all my items in the bottom 9 slots, but quickly learnt that it was the top 9 in Minetest. Obviously that wasn't a massive problem for me, but for a totally new player this system would be completley alien, and the 3x3 grid with the single slot will be very confusing.

Now I can't remember because I havn't played Minecraft in quite a long time, but I think it says "Crafting" above the 2x2 area in that game, and it is more seperate from the rest of the inventory, whereas in this the space between the crafting area and the rest of the inventory is the same as the space between normal cells.
Maybe give the crafting cells a different coloured tint to make it slightly clearer that this isn't your inventory?

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Tim wrote:I agree with qyron. I always make mistakes in Minecraft which leads to having to use my tools more and so they break quicker.

I think everybody is ignoring a large part of number 3, which is a valid poin - the design of the inventory. Coming from Minecraft I tried to put all my items in the bottom 9 slots, but quickly learnt that it was the top 9 in Minetest. Obviously that wasn't a massive problem for me, but for a totally new player this system would be completley alien, and the 3x3 grid with the single slot will be very confusing.

Now I can't remember because I havn't played Minecraft in quite a long time, but I think it says "Crafting" above the 2x2 area in that game, and it is more seperate from the rest of the inventory, whereas in this the space between the crafting area and the rest of the inventory is the same as the space between normal cells.
Maybe give the crafting cells a different coloured tint to make it slightly clearer that this isn't your inventory?
In MC it is 2x2 but thats because in MC you have a workbench which gives you the 3x3 crafting area, I know that there is some planning going on at the moment with regards to the gui so maybe in the future the inventory area will be texture based (like in MC) meaning we could easily change the look of it.

With regards to the top row being the quick access row I actually prefer this to MC although I understand what your saying maybe the top row could have a bit more padding between that and the rest of your inventory or like you said maybe in a slightly different colour.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

For inventory UI I suggest a slightly bigger crafting area to allow more crafting recipes.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

yes we have our inventory 3x3 and a workbench with 4x4 or more! making us the ultimate crafters!

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

sdzen wrote:yes we have our inventory 3x3 and a workbench with 4x4 or more! making us the ultimate crafters!
I agree with adding a workbench with a 4x4 (or more) crafting grid, but still think that the inventory grid should be reduced to 2x2 otherwise there really wouldn't be much need for a workbench as most stuff would still be able to be crafted in the inventory >_<

qyron

by qyron » Post

RAPHAEL wrote:For inventory UI I suggest a slightly bigger crafting area to allow more crafting recipes.
That would make game-play even more easy than already is.

Inventory craft space should (must) be cut down and more workspaces should be created; the craftsman's table would be a good start. I've already suggested in another thread to split the furnace into kiln (for cooking, clay craft and charcoal production) and furnace (for ore smelting/refining) and I would go even further and create the anvil for metal working. It's better to make the game more challenging than the opposite.

Presently, there is no need to create a safe place for you to craft your tools; if the right materials are at hand, you can explore indefinitely.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

qyron wrote:
RAPHAEL wrote:For inventory UI I suggest a slightly bigger crafting area to allow more crafting recipes.
That would make game-play even more easy than already is.

Inventory craft space should (must) be cut down and more workspaces should be created; the craftsman's table would be a good start. I've already suggested in another thread to split the furnace into kiln (for cooking, clay craft and charcoal production) and furnace (for ore smelting/refining) and I would go even further and create the anvil for metal working. It's better to make the game more challenging than the opposite.

Presently, there is no need to create a safe place for you to craft your tools; if the right materials are at hand, you can explore indefinitely.
Yes a crafting table would be nice but until it's done the inventory crafting area should be bigger. A lot more mods are available now and eventually there will be more and more craft recipe conflicts unless more space is available.

XCalibur54

by XCalibur54 » Post

dannydark wrote:@XCalibur54 Are you sure your using the latest version? Tooltips where added some time ago with Kahrl's itemdef patch back on the 13th January.

I build from the source but I'm sure celeron55 has released builds since then.
Ah yes.. I'm using the dev build redcrab's server uses, the January 6th one. I just downloaded the newer one and it has tooltips.
Moderator of redcrab's 0.4 server: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

sdzen wrote:yes we have our inventory 3x3 and a workbench with 4x4 or more! making us the ultimate crafters!
A workbench with 4x4 sounds pretty balanced to me, but anything higher than 4x4 would just make things too repetitive in my opinion. The guys making the mods would go completely crazy with that, which could complicate things for everyone.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

id like a 4x4 crafting space because i have ideas that would be so much better if i had crafting room
Edit: this is to add to my previous post my reasoning
Last edited by sdzen on Mon Feb 13, 2012 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno