[Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

[Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

by paramat » Post

Download https://github.com/paramat/snowdrift/archive/master.zip rename mod folder to 'snowdrift'
Browse code https://github.com/paramat/snowdrift

For Minetest 0.4.16 and later. Compatible with 5.0.0-dev.
Depends default

Licenses:
Source code:
MIT by paramat
Media:
Textures CC BY-SA (3.0) by paramat
Sounds CC BY (3.0) by inchadney
http://freesound.org/people/inchadney/sounds/58835/

For use in all mapgens except mgv6.

Precipitation stops and starts with time but is also is affected by biome humidity and temperature.
Soothing rainfall sound.
12 snowflake designs.
Sky becomes overcast during precipitation, the cloud cover brightness changes smoothly during day/night transitions and becomes dark at night.
Particles are only spawned under open sky and collide with nodes, so no particles appear indoors or under cover.

If you are using custom biome heat/humidtynoise parameters you must edit the noise parameters in this mod to match.
Parameter PRECTIM is the rough timescale of precipitation stop/start in minutes and is set fairly low for testing, you may want to increase this for longer durations.
Attachments
screenshot_20171212_181850.png
screenshot_20171212_181850.png (433.43 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
screenshot_20171018_025428.png
screenshot_20171018_025428.png (466.55 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Last edited by paramat on Thu Jan 31, 2019 01:45, edited 26 times in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Do you also have a "light rain" equivalent?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That is possible, as is sandstorms in deserts, i released this early as only snow but may add more, i know how to detect current biome in MGV6 so can restrict each type of weather to a suitable biome.
Anyone else want rain and possibly sandstorms?
Last edited by paramat on Fri Aug 09, 2013 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

paramat wrote:I assume you would like this feature? That is possible, as is sandstorms in deserts, i released this early as only snow but may add more, i know how to detect current biome in MGV6 so can restrict each type of weather to a suitable biome.
Anyone else want rain and possibly sandstorms?
Me! :-)
Back from the dead!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Just can't get inspired to work on light rain (drizzle mod ... the excitement), the only rain i care for is heavy with thunder, and that will not look right under a fairly clear sky. This mod will remain snow only.
I am however in love with particles (ooer) and will continue to experiment in seperate mods, might still try sandstorms.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.1.2 released.
Last edited by paramat on Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

First of all, great work. I like your environment affecting mods especially the realms.
But i have a question. Does it make any difference in peformance if i replace the lines 39 to 78 with a while statement and using minetest.after() instead of globalsteps? Instead of performing a random number generation every step and maybe do nothing just perform a random number generation for the next calculation by pushing that value to minetest.after()?

Keep up that great work
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks, i'll look into your suggestion, i'm really not much of a programmer and have never used while and minetest.after(), so nows the time to learn :)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Okay unless i have misunderstood, your suggestion does reduce calculations by perhaps 1 but the speed improvement will be unnnoticeable, barely worth the effort.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Aug 13, 2013 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I tried Jeija's rain and snow mod, and it messed up my world, so that placing blocks was really really hard. I would place blocks, and then they would disappear. It would take me 4 or 5 tries to actually place a block down while it was raining or snowing... does your mod do this too?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That sounds like lag caused by the large amounts of processing in Jeija's mod, this is partly why i wrote this mod as a 'light' version. No offence meant to Jeija but his code is very processing-heavy.
My mod does not cause this much lag, if you do get lag you can reduce parameter MAXCHA, default is 0.5, if you want heavier snow try 1.0.
Try it and see! ;)

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

ok then. :) sounds good to me.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Let me know how you get on.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

paramat wrote:Okay unless i have misunderstood, your suggestion does reduce calculations by perhaps 1 but the speed improvement will be unnnoticeable, barely worth the effort.
The while statement was more of a suggestion reduce the lines and saves you some typing ( yeah i know, copy&paste exists, however ). Sad that the minetest.after() didnt have more effect. Thanks for the feedback of that suggestion :)
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.0 with rain, new screenshot in first post.
Currently it snows or rains continuously within each defined perlin noise area, i am working on making precipitation intermittent.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.3 with settling snow! excitement! Info, new screenshots in first post.
A good way to add snow to previously generated chunks of a world (perhaps i should add a height threshold too ...)
Intermittent snowfall and rainfall is coming soon.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jan 21, 2014 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

Evanleo

by Evanleo » Post

it seems like a good mod...but i do not know how to up load a mod the the game

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Be sure you first turn dirt-with-grass into dirt-with-snow as a first step, before causing a snow node to form on top -- that way it can form snow "under" say wild grass and other small plants that grow on dirt with grass.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Evanleo wrote:it seems like a good mod...but i do not know how to up load a mod the the game
Click the download link. Go to downloads. Select the mod (snowdrift-master.zip). Unzip it in a minetest folder called mods. Rename it to snowdrift. Start minetest. Create/select a world in the minetest menu. Click Configure. Select snowdrift. Check (click) the box before enabled. Press save. Start the world.

This should work for most mods.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.4.
Snow/rainfall is triggered by the OS clock and perlin noise, it is no longer continuous. Parameters control shower length and rarity.
Plants have the dirt_with_grass beneath them changed to dirt_with_snow.
New raindrop texture, not yet shown in screenshots.
Bugfixes and code improvements.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Jan 22, 2014 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, let's give this another run then :-) Installed on three servers, with the following settings changes:

SCALP = 1
RAIN = true
PRET = -0.5

(because I want the rain/snow to be fairly prodigious if I can make it so without driving up CPU usage :-) )

Not actually seeing much so far, but a little here and there. I do *not* have the snow biomes mod installed.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Rainfall is too light by default, try DROPS = 16 or even 32.
You can also increase PPPCHA a bit for heavier snow, try 0.2 or 0.3.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

ok, I've set those for 32 and 0.3, respectively. I'll put those into effect in a little while, the servers are a bit busy with players at the moment.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Hm i must remember particles are client side ... best to keep DROPS = 16, PPPCHA = 0.1 otherwise your players' FPS might really suffer.
Also the default humidity threshold HUT is too high, it only rains in small aeas of map, best to lower that.
It will rain in deserts, i'm working on that, if i add noise offset parameters it will be possible to use MGV6 desert noise params as the humidity noise params.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, DROPS is 16, PPPCHA reverted to the default of 0.1, HUT is turned down to 0.2. I'd recommend the noise/humidity params you suggested - I use this same method in plants_lib for the mgv6 humidity map, and for the same reason. :-)