[0.4.8] LuaVoxelManipulator

hmmmm

[0.4.8] LuaVoxelManipulator

by hmmmm » Post

Hello modding community,
I am pleased to announce the addition of the LuaVoxelManip to Minetest's Lua API. Ever since the beginning, modders have been looking for a way to manipulate nodes on the map in bulk. Just until recently with the addition of the Schematic API, this was not possible. However, now with VoxelManip, there is a fast, complete, and official way to accomplish this task. It may seem that this API is much more technical and less user friendly to use than others, but this is necessary in order to maximize speed - its central purpose.
Within on_generate callbacks, the same exact VoxelManip object used to generate the chunk being handled with the internal map generator can be obtained using the new minetest.get_mapgen_object API. Paired with the singlenode map generator, this is especially convenient for creating completely Lua-based mapgens.

For testing purposes, I made a very simple 3d noise-based map generator, which can also be used as a decent reference of how to use VoxelManip:

How well does it perform?
Setup:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
CC: g++ 4.2.2, -g, -O1

On average, to generate an 80x80x80 chunk of this, it takes:
minetest.env:set_node: 6854.4ms
VoxelManip: 153.5ms
Mapgen in core: 60ms (estimated)

So, generating map with VoxelManip in pure Lua is only about 2.5x slower than a mapgen in the core, but a whole 45x faster than using set_node for everything.

I strongly encourage everybody to use this interface and *not* the Schematic API for VoxelManip tasks. The primary purpose of the Schematic API is to define discrete, relatively static structures such as trees, spikes, huts, etc. so they can be randomly placed on the map at generation time. minetest.create_structure is to make a new structure. minetest.place_structure is not exactly a necessary API, but convenient for checking to see that the correct structure was created and did not take much additional effort at all to implement; an added bonus was that it could be used in the same way WorldEdit schematics were - this was not the intent however. Further, defining the schematic completely within Lua via the node table was again a feature added for flexibility, and because it did not take much effort to add.
VoxelManip is even faster than the Schematic API, adds vastly more flexibility, is not hackish, and allows reading the map as well, which is needed for many node placement tasks. There is really no reason not to use it.

Also:
Apparently, having no way to find the real name of a node was a long-standing problem in mods.
As luck would have it, two API that were added needed by VoxelManip, minetest.get_content_id() and minetest.get_name_from_content_id(), can be used to find the real name of a node alias as follows:
local c = minetest.get_content_id(alias_name)
local real_name = minetest.get_name_from_content_id(c)

Enjoy!
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

*faints*

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

Where does the VoxelArea thing come from? It gives me a nil value error when I try to run that code...

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Very nice! Glad to see this idea is finally reality and in upstream, it will certainly help a lot. I still wouldn't trust making a whole mapgen with it, but at least it will make that possible in theory which could be interesting.

I'll switch my Structures mod to it as soon as it's safe. There's one thing I don't understand though: How do you send a list of nodes to the engine for spawning? read_from_map(p1, p2) has two corners you can specify like I thought, but write_to_map() takes no parameters. Instead it takes another data writing function which I wasn't able to understand. How would I handle a list of the form { { pos1, node1 }, { pos2, node2 } }?
Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I need to buy sunglasses, so I can wear them while using the LuaVoxelManipulator.

hmmmm

by hmmmm » Post

Nore wrote:Where does the VoxelArea thing come from? It gives me a nil value error when I try to run that code...
VoxelArea was my own helper class; though as of today, builtin/voxelarea.lua is part of upstream.
MirceaKitsune wrote:I'll switch my Structures mod to it as soon as it's safe. There's one thing I don't understand though: How do you send a list of nodes to the engine for spawning? read_from_map(p1, p2) has two corners you can specify like I thought, but write_to_map() takes no parameters. Instead it takes another data writing function which I wasn't able to understand. How would I handle a list of the form { { pos1, node1 }, { pos2, node2 } }?
read_from_map() and write_to_map() deal with the internal VoxelManipulator object pulling and pushing data to the actual map. To get and set the array of nodes in Lua, you need to use local data = get_data() and set_data(data).
To handle that sort of list, you would do something like:
local vi = area:indexp(yourtable.pos1)
data[vi] = minetest.get_content_id(yourtable.node1)

(although I would prefetch the results from minetest.get_content_id() and not call it in a loop if i were you)
Setting node strings instead of content IDs is an option coming soon. It's easier in some circumstances, but would be slower. This was designed for being fast.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Is this the thing that makes large spaceships possible? If it is, Minetest is now close to complete!
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

ch98 wrote:Is this the thing that makes large spaceships possible? If it is, Minetest is now close to complete!
If you mean moving spaceships, no. This is a just a way to set nodes faster.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Post

AWESOME!
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

hmmmm wrote:Also:
Apparently, having no way to find the real name of a node was a long-standing problem in mods.
As luck would have it, two API that were added needed by VoxelManip, minetest.get_content_id() and minetest.get_name_from_content_id(), can be used to find the real name of a node alias as follows:
local c = minetest.get_content_id(alias_name)
local real_name = minetest.get_name_from_content_id(c)
It turned out this is wrong. There is a non-hacky way of solving it:

Code: Select all

ItemStack("alias"):get_name()
This will return the real itemname.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thank you. But some comments in that code would help to understand it. I think that's the reason nobody used it until now, because nobody understands it (except you).

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

There is a branch of PilzAdam's nether mod that uses LVM, also latest worldedit mod, 2 more you can study.
Last edited by paramat on Fri Aug 09, 2013 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Dev version of Snow mod uses it now,
https://github.com/Splizard/minetest-mo ... gen_v6.lua (see line 238 and below)
I understood it, you just need to try it out.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

OK cut my last sentence. I got it to work the way I wanted too. But it would be nice if there would be some explanation somewhere.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

It works on unloaded chunks too apparently.

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Whats the easiest way to load regions prior to writing to them with setnode or using this? In singleplayer I'm doing something similar and all i can think of moving the player to the position and waiting a bit for the server to load or generate that region.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Can some one give me an example that does set node using this?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Set node = add node and is done like this:

Code: Select all

data[vi] = c_dirt
If you want another example mod see my LVM version of moonrealm mod.
Last edited by paramat on Fri Sep 06, 2013 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

george90867

by george90867 » Post

can we download it?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yes you can :)

Prestotron562

by Prestotron562 » Post

Can't wait for this. This will help my mod "More Biomes"

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Prestotron562 wrote:Can't wait for this. This will help my mod "More Biomes"
There will be a biome api in mg v7.
Back from the dead!

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

paramat wrote:it is helpful to work through a chunk column by column, and working down each column instead of up
yep, y, then either x or z first, and z+ is north if your biomes are n/s/ or e/w oriented - following you nicely - i don't use perlin noise anymore, but if you think of it as a basically horizontal tube and work the area with that in mind, it gets easier to visualize

don't know if you've hit it yet but watch out for missing content id's - you specify c_snow but you fail to do the declare to say that c_snow is default:snow, that is where the fire comes from, since a missed content id = fire

enjoy, the lua voxel manip is the best thing about MT
Last edited by leetelate on Mon Nov 04, 2013 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

http://www.scribblethink.org/Work/Crunge/crunge.pdf gives an overview of the Weiner interpolation - so much faster!
i am still working on this one, but here's the latest attempt:
make a noise 1 and a noise 2, then make a bunch of random points based on the average of noise1+noise2 at those points
expand each point(like doing a simple gaussian blur) until you hit a non-0
interesting, though i'm still getting artifacts - cool mountain ranges! - they even have ridge lines!
wiaworld
cliffs
overhangs

let me work on it a bit more and i'll put the code up, maybe even on github
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That looks surprisingly good considering it's simplicity, i like these gem-like facets at various angles.