Search a Minetest Game Version for Windows 98

Matrix01

Search a Minetest Game Version for Windows 98

by Matrix01 » Post

Hello,
I am Matrix01, I'm come from Germany and the problem is that I can't speak good english.
So here is my Question: I search a Minetest Version for Windows 98. Because my computer has the Operating System Windows 98 SE.
Please can you give me a download link or anything else.
Best Wishes,
Matrix01

PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Post

Matrix01 wrote:I'm from Germany and the problem is that I can't speak good english.
You could post in the other Languages section.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

There is none, your PC probably has hardware that is too slow anyway.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Matrix01 wrote:Hello,
I am Matrix01, I'm come from Germany and the problem is that I can't speak good english.
So here is my Question: I search a Minetest Version for Windows 98. Because my computer has the Operating System Windows 98 SE.
Please can you give me a download link or anything else.
Best Wishes,
Matrix01
Why is it that you still have a PC that old? There are new ones that are around $400 (well, its cheaper than $3,000.)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Inocudom wrote:Why is it that you still have a PC that old? There are new ones that are around $400 (well, its cheaper than $3,000.)
Or €301.75 since you are in Germany, Not the USA.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Why is it that you still have a PC that old? There are new ones that are around $400 (well, its cheaper than $3,000.)
Or €301.75 since you are in Germany, Not the USA.
Hmm. If Matrix01 decided to upgrade the parts in his computer, would doing so be cheaper than getting a new one (provided that he doesn't get too excessive, that is?)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Switch to Lubuntu. If your PC has at least 256 MB of RAM... Else, get a new one.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Most likely it's a pc that has been handed down to them. Probably not, the components when purchased separately by a single person tend to be more expensive than for a business which gets deals on bundles of 100 or 1000 or more. That's why new prebuilt pc's tend to be cheaper now-a-days than they were in the past. Plus, he may be in a situation similar to mine which is out of work and has no money to upgrade his current system or get a new one. Or maybe he has a newer system but only has Windows 98 SE on it for some reason. Maybe he could be pointed to some linux versions that he could install and use with minetest. It all depends on what his situation is as to what can be done to help him.

EDIT: Ninja'd by hoodedice. :)
Last edited by LionsDen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Inocudom wrote: Hmm. If Matrix01 decided to upgrade the parts in his computer, would doing so be cheaper than getting a new one (provided that he doesn't get too excessive, that is?)
For something that's something like 15 years out-of-date, it would be extremely unlikely for that to be worth it. Better just get a new computer.

But if you absolutely must use that old computer... at least upgrade the software on it. Windows 98 makes Windows XP look like it has amazing security; it doesn't even have any sort of user privilege settings at all. A GNU/Linux distro running LXDE would be your best bet.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

If you must try it in that computer, try compiling it yourself or installing fast linux.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.