Could something like this be created

super_tnt

Could something like this be created

by super_tnt » Post

I would like to know if there is enough support to make a mod which would result in the following.Image
If so I would love to make a mod around this with all sorts of stuff.

Basically is the enough support to make moving objects like the one's in the above image. And what animation support if any is included.
Last edited by super_tnt on Sat Sep 14, 2013 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I wish this was possible in Minetest, but I can't guarantee that it would be. It would be very nice, however.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I think you could do it if you created a new node for each portion of the animation and then coded it to keep changing the nodes from one to the next all of the time.

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

It could be possible to do this with entities, however I don't know if it is possible to set entity pitch yet.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Pitch is not possible yet. But a mod with just the physics would be very interesting. At first a static nodebox with animated textures would be enough for the visual part.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

I guess it would be possible, if you leave out the physics part.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

It is certainly possible with an animated entity or animated entities but it would be purely aesthetic.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A wind- or watermill plus some simplified gears would be great! I've been looking for something like this for some time. What it takes is basicly the animation for the sails of the windmill and the animation for a waterweel. Both could be done either with models or even with signlike or an overlarge nodebox (several nodes large) with some suitable animations and transparency where needed. With smaller trunks between the gear nodes, perhaps even round nodeboxes like the ones the pipes mod comes with, animated images may be enough to make it look like it's rotating. The physics could then be limited to some formspecs and would bear not much resemblance to the animation.
Hope someone who can do so does the animations! I'd be glad with a waterwheel- and mill-sail-animation in animated image format.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Anything is Possible with coding. It is just the fact if you are skilled enough to code it ore if support for it has been coded in C++
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Anything is possible with coding - if you use the cpp side, and you do not go over hardware limits
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I object to "anything is possible with coding"! There are limits to it. The most obvious limits would be those set by Irrlicht. Rubenwardy already mentioned hardware limits.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

This IS possible. If someone has the time to fix the entity-related problems, or to implement a "model" node drawtype.
The second option would be best IMO; with the current code the rotating parts would just duplicate or disappear :P
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hm...loose windmill sails sailing through the worlds...watermill wheels going through towns...guess we better stick to save nodeboxes :-) The question remains: Can someone do animated textures for them?

super_tnt

by super_tnt » Post

I have little knowledge of pitch and yaw so I certainly don't know the difference between the two. If I do use animated entities, I can have rotating objects like the axle and the windmill, right? If so then I'll use animated entities, the windmill only needs to spin to look pretty, however the axles should spin based on the direction the windmill and if it's neighbours are spinning. If possible could I create about 6 entites, 2 moving (clockwise and anti-clockwise) facing one direction, 2 moving facing the other direction and 2 still for both directions. This raises a bunch of questions about entities; if I have neighbouring entities, can I keep their animations synced. Can I spawn entities inside of an invisible node? Can they store metadata like node's?
Last edited by super_tnt on Sun Sep 15, 2013 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

ch98

by ch98 » Post

I am making an scientific mod and wind is in it so it may be possible.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

super_tnt

by super_tnt » Post

Well, I've started work making the entity for the windmill, I plan on making a mechanical mod around the above image with all sorts of things, Including mechanical power and electrical generators (which will be tiered), the generators will connect to any axel and when it is spinning, electricity is generated.

treytomes
GitHub: treytomes
In-game: treytomes

Re: Could something like this be created

by treytomes » Post

I've been trying to implement a windmill mod for a couple of days now.

https://github.com/treytomes/cataclysm_ ... /windmills

I have an animated windmill entity that can be constructed in game. The model needs a little bit of work...

If anyone else has a finished mechanical power / windmill / water wheel / etc mod that is farther along, I would love to hear about it.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Without all the details about what this mechanism would and so forth,....

I see a simple enough solution being two models. One model would be the axel, the spinning log. Animated for action, and still for inaction. The same for the windmill fan. Both would be entities, and should be animated objects, being able to trigger the animations from within a mod, much like the player model. These entities, or models, can then be used from within a mod to provide eye candy to some of the technical mods that already may provide the functionality.

Shad

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

treytomes wrote:I've been trying to implement a windmill mod for a couple of days now.

https://github.com/treytomes/cataclysm_ ... /windmills

I have an animated windmill entity that can be constructed in game. The model needs a little bit of work...

If anyone else has a finished mechanical power / windmill / water wheel / etc mod that is farther along, I would love to hear about it.

Sokomine has a Windmill and AspireMint has a Watermill

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Instead of having the logs rotate, replace them with static metal gearboxes, and just have animated textures for those.
What is SCP-055?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

treytomes,

The model shape is great. Are you going to finishing with the texture? Also, how variable is the speed, and can it be set?

Shad

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

So, I was able to fix / complete the texture in GIMP. But the model is missing an arm and it's sail.

The missing arm and sail appear very small in the center of the model, where the axle would be.

Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20190131_204918.jpg
screenshot_20190131_204918.jpg (227.46 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
screenshot_20190131_204901.jpg
screenshot_20190131_204901.jpg (245.08 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

How's this?

treytomes
GitHub: treytomes
In-game: treytomes

by treytomes » Post

Just found this post again after 2 years. I'm going to have to take a closer look at stu's mod; that animation looks awesome!