[WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Those look great! If you want to get fancy, you might want to have some kind of smooth transition between normal grass and regular grass, like minecraft does.
Back from the dead!

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Those look great! If you want to get fancy, you might want to have some kind of smooth transition between normal grass and regular grass, like minecraft does.
You are totally on the right path with the dried leaves, however I agree with Evergreen, the transition needs to be smoother next to all grass nodes. I would do that by adding 1 extra node that is 3/4 grass and 1/4 dirt/leaves like you had earlier.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:Those look great! If you want to get fancy, you might want to have some kind of smooth transition between normal grass and regular grass, like minecraft does.
Neuromancer wrote:You are totally on the right path with the dried leaves, however I agree with Evergreen, the transition needs to be smoother next to all grass nodes. I would do that by adding 1 extra node that is 3/4 grass and 1/4 dirt/leaves like you had earlier.
Thanks. :)
You're right about the transition, I'm not satisfied with these hard edges either.
Spoiler
Smoother transition:
Generated in jungle:
With ferns, grasses and tiny trees:
Last edited by Mossmanikin on Tue Sep 17, 2013 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Spoiler
Utterly beautiful!! When can I add this to our Immersive Fun game? Do you have to write the code yet? Minecraft will never be able to catch up with you!
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:
Spoiler
Utterly beautiful!! When can I add this to our Immersive Fun game? Do you have to write the code yet? Minecraft will never be able to catch up with you!
Mossmanikin wrote:
Evergreen wrote:Those look great! If you want to get fancy, you might want to have some kind of smooth transition between normal grass and regular grass, like minecraft does.
Neuromancer wrote:You are totally on the right path with the dried leaves, however I agree with Evergreen, the transition needs to be smoother next to all grass nodes. I would do that by adding 1 extra node that is 3/4 grass and 1/4 dirt/leaves like you had earlier.
Thanks. :)
You're right about the transition, I'm not satisfied with these hard edges either.
Spoiler
Absolutely beautiful! You work on the beauty of the overworld, while I work on the beauty of the underworld. I love how much depth this is going to give minetest when we finish this mod.
Last edited by Evergreen on Tue Sep 17, 2013 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

What about Iron Ore Lumps that spawn similar to pebbles but only in open caves near Iron Ore?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Chinchow wrote:What about Iron Ore Lumps that spawn similar to pebbles but only in open caves near Iron Ore?
Good idea! I'll try doing that.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Utterly beautiful!! When can I add this to our Immersive Fun game? Do you have to write the code yet? Minecraft will never be able to catch up with you!
Glad you like it.
I've written some abm's. There's too much forest soils with that (near every tree).
Code using plants_lib is finished. Looks fine, but is too slow.
I'm working on some code using "minetest.register_on_generated". Hopefully this will be faster.
Evergreen wrote:Absolutely beautiful! You work on the beauty of the overworld, while I work on the beauty of the underworld. I love how much depth this is going to give minetest when we finish this mod.
Glad you like it too.
Once more I'm surprised, how some small details can make a lot of difference.
Btw.: I'd love to see your code. I have the feeling I could learn from that.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Utterly beautiful!! When can I add this to our Immersive Fun game? Do you have to write the code yet? Minecraft will never be able to catch up with you!
Glad you like it.
I've written some abm's. There's too much forest soils with that (near every tree).
Code using plants_lib is finished. Looks fine, but is too slow.
I'm working on some code using "minetest.register_on_generated". Hopefully this will be faster.
Evergreen wrote:Absolutely beautiful! You work on the beauty of the overworld, while I work on the beauty of the underworld. I love how much depth this is going to give minetest when we finish this mod.
Glad you like it too.
Once more I'm surprised, how some small details can make a lot of difference.
Btw.: I'd love to see your code. I have the feeling I could learn from that.
I actually haven't done too much, but I'll give you it once I figure out how to get the stalactites to work.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:I actually haven't done too much, but I'll give you it once I figure out how to get the stalactites to work.
Can't wait (actually I can :D)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Added the stalactites pebbles and stuff to my fork on github.
Back from the dead!

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Added fork with bushes mod to undergrowth repository on github. Also asked for a pull request for Mossmanikin to pull my changes into the main repository. It said there were no conflicts.

I think that's what we need to do for MM to incorporate our requests into his main undergrowth repository, create pull requests. Do you guys agree? I'm not sure MM needs to create his own branches or forks, but that when we create pull requests he needs to pull them into the main repository. I think he also needs to merge his forestsoils branch into the main repository and that will also get the modpack.txt into the root undergrowth folder.

Thinking about this, I remembered the basic rule of source control, you should only branch if absolutely necessary. I'm thinking MM branched by mistake, and should have just put forestsoils int the main undergrowth repository. The reason you might want to branch is if you have a main production version that you don't want to break, and you branch to create a dev version where you are making changes that will break stuff. Then when you are done with development, you can merge that branch back into the main trunk. I'm not even sure it was best for EG and myself to create forks. It might have been better if we could just contribute directly to the main repository, although this does give MM control to prevent us from making changes he doesn't want into the modpack which is fine.

But that control makes extra work for all of us, because now we have to create pull requests and wait for MM's approval for everything (and he has to do the approvals). That can mean instead of EG or me quickly syncing a bug fix, things can get out of sync before MM approves them, and merging our changes could get more difficult. I think adding us as contributors will just be easier and faster for everyone. If we check in something we shouldn't, MM can always rollback our changes.

If you agree to add us as contributors, just go to the main repository on the github website, click on settings and collaborators and add Neuromancer56 and 4Evergreen4 as friends.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Sep 19, 2013 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Added fork with bushes mod to undergrowth repository on github. Also asked for a pull request for Mossmanikin to pull my changes into the main repository. It said there were no conflicts.

I think that's what we need to do for MM to incorporate our requests into his main undergrowth repository, create pull requests. Do you guys agree? I'm not sure MM needs to create his own branches or forks, but that when we create pull requests he needs to pull them into the main repository. I think he also needs to merge his forestsoils branch into the main repository and that will also get the modpack.txt into the root undergrowth folder.

Thinking about this, I remembered the basic rule of source control, you should only branch if absolutely necessary. I'm thinking MM branched by mistake, and should have just put forestsoils int the main undergrowth repository. The reason you might want to branch is if you have a main production version that you don't want to break, and you branch to create a dev version where you are making changes that will break stuff. Then when you are done with development, you can merge that branch back into the main trunk. I'm not even sure it was best for EG and myself to create forks. It might have been better if we could just contribute directly to the main repository, although this does give MM control to prevent us from making changes he doesn't want into the modpack which is fine.

But that control makes extra work for all of us, because now we have to create pull requests and wait for MM's approval for everything (and he has to do the approvals). That can mean instead of EG or me quickly syncing a bug fix, things can get out of sync before MM approves them, and merging our changes could get more difficult. I think adding us as contributors will just be easier and faster for everyone. If we check in something we shouldn't, MM can always rollback our changes.

If you agree to add us as contributors, just go to the main repository on the github website, click on settings and collaborators and add Neuromancer56 and 4Evergreen4 as friends.
Yeah, you're right: accidently created a branch instead of fork.

I don't need to have control over the project. I just happen to be the guy who created the topic and an empty repository. ;)

Added both of you as collaborators.

I'd say if we create something new we just add it, if we make changes to someone else's code/textures we fork.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Added fork with bushes mod to undergrowth repository on github. Also asked for a pull request for Mossmanikin to pull my changes into the main repository. It said there were no conflicts.

Yeah, you're right: accidently created a branch instead of fork.

I don't need to have control over the project. I just happen to be the guy who created the topic and an empty repository. ;)

Added both of you as collaborators.

I'd say if we create something new we just add it, if we make changes to someone else's code/textures we fork.
I think that would be a good idea. I'll go ahead and delete my fork and work from the repository on your account.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:I think that would be a good idea. I'll go ahead and delete my fork and work from the repository on your account.
I took the freedom to merge all forks and branches

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Evergreen wrote:I think that would be a good idea. I'll go ahead and delete my fork and work from the repository on your account.
I took the freedom to merge all forks and branches
Would you be okay if I went ahead and changed the name of license.txt to "LICENSE.txt" and changed the license to CC-BY 3.0? If so, what should I put about it in LICENSE.txt?
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:Would you be okay if I went ahead and changed the name of license.txt to "LICENSE.txt" and changed the license to CC-BY 3.0?
Sure.
Evergreen wrote: If so, what should I put about it in LICENSE.txt?
Something like "everything CC-BY 3.0" and the links to human readable and full license, maybe...

EDIT: the "maybe" is because I'm no expert on licenses.
Last edited by Mossmanikin on Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's usually recommended that you include a full copy of the "legal code". For CC-By-SA 3.0, it's here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... /legalcode

Just copy&paste that into your LICENSE.txt and put something at the top declaring that the whole thing, code and textures, is under that license.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Hasn't this been enough posts to put a download up
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Maybe they want the mod to be quality when they release it and not half done
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Seems more like license discussion since when I started following
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Seems more like license discussion since when I started following
The license has already been made.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Hasn't this been enough posts to put a download up
If you wanna do some alpha testing: look for the github link ;)
Chinchow wrote:Maybe they want the mod to be quality when they release it and not half done
Exaxtly! :)
VanessaE wrote:It's usually recommended that you include a full copy of the "legal code". For CC-By-SA 3.0, it's here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... /legalcode

Just copy&paste that into your LICENSE.txt and put something at the top declaring that the whole thing, code and textures, is under that license.
Thanks, guess we'll do that. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

This modpack already rocks! I just tested it out and was impressed. I improved the variety of the bushes a little and tried to sync my commit, but my firewall/anti virus went crazy (it hates github). So I disabled it, but it still will not let me sync anything to this project. I did commit it to my own version of the bushes mod here and that worked.

https://github.com/Neuromancer56/bushes
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Sep 20, 2013 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:it still will not let me sync anything to this project
Very strange. Maybe it's because you use the name Neuromancer1 as well as Neuromancer56?
Added both names to the list of collaborators, hope it works now.

In case it doesn't work I'll gladly add the changes for you.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff